Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I briefly looked but didn't see anything, curious whether it's possible when using the In car navigation, if you can plan a trip by having a route with multiple stops. For example, you set a final destination, but add in stops/waypoints along the way. So it navigates to your first waypoint/stop, then to the next, and so on until you reach the final destination. Or do you need to enter each one individually?

Similar question whether you use entry in the car vs use AcuraLink and send directions to the car.

This would be useful if doing a road trip across the country or across states.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I haven't found an easy way to do way-points with the Acura navi. I usually input each stop one at a time and cancel the route. I then use previous destination to select stop/way-point along the way to my final destination. Any last minute unplanned stops, I use Acuralink or Waze (sometimes Waze+Carplay).

I have a 19 MDX and entry on navi screen can be very difficult if you don't get the address100% correct. The navi seems to do a better job and 10X faster with Acuralink sending the address from a smartphone. I like to use the Acura navi to save destinations in the address book once I get there if I happen to use Waze. I can then pull the address up faster if I need them again weeks/months/years later.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the navigation user manual / encyclopedia, it appears you first set your final or first destination. Then you go to navi menu, go to Destination List, and from here you can add stops/waypoints. You can search by a stop, along the way, or use the full navi menu to find your pit stop. It says it allows up to 4 stops.

I've never used the AcuraLink method, can you do something similar here where you plan out a trip in advance with several stops, then send this info to your car?

Also on an unrelated note, I see there are "Scenic Routes" by state, has anyone ever used this? I'll have to try pulling a couple up to see what routes they are and where it tells you to go.

At some point we'll take a long road trip, and in this situation the AcuraLink might be useful. What happens if you sign up for AcuraLink (yearly subscription) and cancel after a month? Do you get pro-rated refund for remainder of the year or are you stuck paying for the full year (no way to sign up for a month)?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Acuralink, so far, seems to only speeds up the input of a destination into the car navi system. I haven't seen anything within the iPhone app to plan out a trip with way-points. You might have to search in Acuralink, send to MDX, and then set-up way points on the in vehicle navi system.

What I like about Acuralink is you can search with Apple maps within the Acuralink app on your smartphone. It finds store names or locations pretty fast with a few key strokes compared to Acura navi that sometimes sends you to a store 1300 miles away. Another added feature is you can send addresses to the MDX on the go. You already looked up the address on your smartphone, it just one button push to send it to the MDX (especially with slow to no data in some areas in the southwest with Waze navigation). I have Acuralink on my wife's and my iphone and either one can send navi information and the other person can be at home or another state to do it.

I've only taken about 5 trips from ABQ to San Antonio in my MDX in the last year (11 hrs oneway). Planning to take a long weekend trip to the Grand Canyon next week (only 4 1/2 hours away from ABQ). I might play with the way point and scenic route stuff when checking out north/south rims and Sedona.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts