Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a video of Merc GLB launched this year.
It has same 7 seater option like MDX. The tech is much more than current MDX. GLB starts at $43k but adding basic safety features and driver package takes it to $49k, still cheaper than MDX.
Comes with USB -C chargers and the touch screen is a killer.

Let me know your thoughts?????

2014 MDX Tech FWD

·
Registered
512 Posts
The only way to do Benz or Beemer, IMO, is to lease them with full maintenance included then turn them in at lease end and get another. Price it that way and see if it is comparable then. Otherwise Donn0128 is right. The maintenance cost will eat you alive compared to the MDX. It's been awhile since I've priced it, but I'm thinking $250-300 for a routine oil change because of all the "inspections" that are part of it. If you are only going to stay in them 2-3 years max you might find it doable, but past that it gets even more stupid.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree...I am planning to lease this time.
Any help with number will be helpful

2014 MDX Tech FWD

·
Registered
432 Posts
Man, that thing is homely looking, but looks are subjective. It looks to me like just another option in the sea of SUV's.

Really thou, consider the MDX (and RDX) as phoning it in these days. They really better get their business together if they want to be a player in the market. Nearly everyone is putting out great SUV's these days. If the 4th gen isn't a real stand out, my days with Acura are over. Way too many great options these days for brand loyalty to play ANY role in my decision (we've had every generation MDX and countless other Acura and Honda product since the late 1990's).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, that thing is homely looking, but looks are subjective. It looks to me like just another option in the sea of SUV's.

Really thou, consider the MDX (and RDX) as phoning it in these days. They really better get their business together if they want to be a player in the market. Nearly everyone is putting out great SUV's these days. If the 4th gen isn't a real stand out, my days with Acura are over. Way too many great options these days for brand loyalty to play ANY role in my decision (we've had every generation MDX and countless other Acura and Honda product since the late 1990's).
No sense if 4th Gen is not par with competitor line ups. If spending $50k to own for so called Luxury vehicle then better lease a Merc or Jag at the same price and better features and interior.

2014 MDX Tech FWD

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only way to do Benz or Beemer, IMO, is to lease them with full maintenance included then turn them in at lease end and get another. Price it that way and see if it is comparable then. Otherwise Donn0128 is right. The maintenance cost will eat you alive compared to the MDX. It's been awhile since I've priced it, but I'm thinking $250-300 for a routine oil change because of all the "inspections" that are part of it. If you are only going to stay in them 2-3 years max you might find it doable, but past that it gets even more stupid.
I was considering an Audi Q7 before purchasing our 2020 MDX Hybrid and the ownership costs of the Audi kind of scared us away.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Looks like MDX second gen 2010+ rear met Honda Pilot pre 2016 front on the outside.

As always with German cars in the past decade - you never buy them used without warranty, because they will bankrupt you with the upkeep.

You also don't want to spend most of the time in the shop even with warranty driving a shitbox loaner they give you while they keep your car. So not the first year car, of course. Wait for the second year.

Overall GLC 300 proved itself to be a good car, a good RDX rival. So this is now going to be a good MDX rival.

May be this along with Hyundai stepping on the sub-luxury brands heels will force Acura to step up their game.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was considering an Audi Q7 before purchasing our 2020 MDX Hybrid and the ownership costs of the Audi kind of scared us away.
Yep, German cars in general are scary when compared to Japanese or even Korean. The new Hyundai or Kia offerings are interesting and when they get the Genesis version out this summer that should up the game even more.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
One thing to remember about the GLB is that it was originally not a 7 seater, only a 5. The last two seats were squeezed in for the China market and costs a pretty penny on top of the base vehicle cost. The vehicle is actually close in proportions to the Rav4 and GLC.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
While our MDX is being fixed we have a new GLE 300 rental. I know it's not exactly the GLB, but I'm certain the general experience is representative of other the smaller GL lineup. Styling is subjective so I won't say much more about that, but the interior materials and fit and finish are top notch. It's quick, nimble, feels tight and well put together, shifts flawlessly, and gets great mileage. I know this is another personal choice, but while we work hard and make good financial choices, these prestige brands project too much pretension for our tastes. But purely from behind the wheel, ya, Acura has a LOOONG way to go to fix what is wrong (by my measure) with the 3rd gen driving dynamics.

I need to add, I would overlook the prestige baggage IF I could ever get my wife interested in wagons. The AMG E63 is my favorite vehicle available now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check out Doug Demuros review of the GLB on youtube. The interior room renders the 3rd row even less usable than the MDX.....it's really not a three row SUV.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I am glad that you looked at Q7 as well. I did too. You really need to pay up for German prestige. For example, all the V6 Q7 come with big wheels. Smallest is 285 R20. For that size of a tire, there is NO all season tires. So for my occasional trips to Tahoe, I am going to need to buy another set of window tires and wheels?

Also there is no place for a spare tire. So even if in summer, if I want to go for a long road trip, I need to place a gigantic wheel and tire in my trunk?

Q7 is a nice car. There is no denying of that. But MDX is a lot friendly to my wallet!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Also 20 inch is the smallest wheel for 3.0 q7. They're 21 and 22 wheels. Those big tires will hurt you wallet two ways. 1st they're very expressive. 2nd, they only last less than 30k for most owners. So equivalently, there's one timing belt change each 60k miles in terms of cost. Seeing a lot of MDX owners struggling with TB cost every 7-10 years, Q7 and MDX cater to different budgets. There aren't many overlap at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
For OP's comparison, I think there is no brainer to go with MDX hybrid or the new 4th gen MDX if it is any good. Why?

1. MB is more expensive than BMW and Audi for comparable cars.
2. MB is even more expensive to maintain and repair. See it is all due to money.
3. GLB won't even give you German prestige. It is a FWD based car. The lowest tier of MB cars. There won't be any or very little amount of German prestige coming with it. This is my personal view, any one who buys a GLA or GLB has no clue about cars and I won't even bother to talk about cars with these owners.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I looked at BMW. Acura and Lincoln and bought the Acura, I knew I'd be able to drive it longer and it would be easier to take in for repairs. I have a close relative that has a BMW dealership and he said if I bought a BMW from him to Lease it for 3 yrs and turn it in for another otherwise buyer beware. As to the Navigator it was too expensive but it had the best interior in it's class, but it was almost as much as a cheap G-Wagon. I'm gonna retire in a few years I don't need trouble or to be buying new cars anymore so I bought the easiest for me. Oh I looked at the Pilot too and I just couldn't stand the looks, it reminded me of my Odysseys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
MDX and GLB are two different categories of car in terms of size but it's easy to cross-shop based on price. I have low expectations for the build quality and technology of the 4th gen MDX. I doubt it will compare to the Merc in terms of panel gap, material quality, and "techy gimmicks" (though I really dislike MBUX... maybe it'll grow on me with more practice). And as many have said before, you can't own German unless you've got a deep wallet. If price is importnt and you really want a nicely equipped 7 seater, consider the Mazda CX-9. The build quality is excellent, the materials are nicer than the GLB, and it is actually built in Japan. Fully loaded versions top out at $46k. Looks are subjective of course, but I think it is a very attractive SUV.

I was deciding between the MDX and CX-9 myself. I loved the head up display and active bending lights on the CX-9 but chose the Acura because I wanted performance more than features. Can't beat the naturally aspirated V6 and the torque vectoring AWD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts