Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is perplexing. When I turn left from a low speed an accelerate lightly, my MDX makes a chirp/beep sound. The sound is from the left, front wheel well area.

Sound is hard to replicate because it is not consistent, so I have not gone to the dealer.

I will paypal $20 to the first one to figure this out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it only makes the nose when moving and turning the wheel I'd check suspension bushings and joints first. If stationary, check power steering fluid level and belts first.

Based on your description it sounds high pitched, so it's probably not a rubbing issue, but look at the inside of the tire and splash guard. Do you hear it going over bumps?

It could also be a brake pad rubbing very slightly on the rotor if the piston isn't fully retracting, a shim is loose or the rotor has pad material on it.

Does it happen more when the car is cold or when driving a while? Do you hear it more when you first start braking or does it not have anything to do with braking?

Post back and let us know what you find and if you have any additional information.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it only makes the nose when moving and turning the wheel I'd check suspension bushings and joints first. If stationary, check power steering fluid level and belts first.

Based on your description it sounds high pitched, so it's probably not a rubbing issue, but look at the inside of the tire and splash guard. Do you hear it going over bumps?

It could also be a brake pad rubbing very slightly on the rotor if the piston isn't fully retracting, a shim is loose or the rotor has pad material on it.

Does it happen more when the car is cold or when driving a while? Do you hear it more when you first start braking or does it not have anything to do with braking?

Post back and let us know what you find and if you have any additional information.
Happens cold or hot and when I start to accelerate slowly while rolling out of the corner.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i dont think so...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
How about an SHAWD clutch pack slipping? Front diff? Stability control warning of traction loss? Someone on another forum suggested TPMS losing its connection? They said some Lexus models do this too.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
How about an SHAWD clutch pack slipping? Front diff? Stability control warning of traction loss? Someone on another forum suggested TPMS losing its connection?
You excluded from the list - wheel bearing, hub, loose wheel, and all kinds of other things - any of which could cause a noise. It's very difficult to diagnose a noise from a general description. The best thing to do is not conjecture - just take it into the service department and have a person who's familiar with the model diagnose the issue. There's a good chance they've experienced the same issue on another vehicle already and will know what it is right away but if not, they at least know the components on the vehicle and can narrow down the noisy culprit.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
How about an SHAWD clutch pack slipping? Front diff? Stability control warning of traction loss? Someone on another forum suggested TPMS losing its connection? They said some Lexus models do this too.
Most of these except the TPMS connection item would be a more central location rather than the front left wheel well and you would have some "feedback." TPMS sensors losing connection usually don't result in chirps since most manufacturers use the horn or the visual indicator to tell you it has lost connection. I also doubted the electric power steering starting up thing because the EPS is actually mostly central, albeit yes, with the motor on the left side of the central rack assembly. I've never really heard of someone hearing a chirp from said motor though. But you can try in an empty parking lot a static left turn, meaning wheel turned to left but no additional left input from you, to see if it still chirps. But then it should "chirp" whenever you provide left or right input even while not moving.

The whole rubber spring seats moving out of place seems more likely, but like mdxstang mentioned, without actually hearing it for ourselves, it's really hard to diagnose what kind of sound it is. There are differences between an electric motor chirp/squeak vs a rubber chirp/squeak, but we can't hear it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am getting a clunking type noise/sensation when turning as well. I thought there was something loose in the steering column. I took it to the dealer who did exactly nothing stating that they didnt have time to do test drives for transient noises. Going to look up into that wheel well tonight and see if I can spot the problem in that TSB. Of course with my dealer, even telling them about a TSB does not mean they will actually apply the fix, rather they will keep the car all day and claim they did it but actually do nothing. Acura service departments are the worst.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This one is perplexing. When I turn left from a low speed an accelerate lightly, my MDX makes a chirp/beep sound. The sound is from the left, front wheel well area.

Sound is hard to replicate because it is not consistent, so I have not gone to the dealer.

I will paypal $20 to the first one to figure this out.
It's hard to know if one sound is similar to another, but mine does something very similar. It occasionally makes a slight chirp on light acceleration during left turns. To me, the sound is similar, but much lower in volume, to the beep the car makes when the doors are locked.

My wife drives the car about 90% of the time. She noticed it months before I ever heard it. I've only heard it a few times. It's really not annoying as long as it isn't a sign of a problem to come.

Reading through the TSBs, I don't think it's the stearing column or front suspension. As it only happens while already turning, it seems unlikely that it's the electric power steering firing up.

I'm just watch and wait for now.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You excluded from the list - wheel bearing, hub, loose wheel, and all kinds of other things - any of which could cause a noise. It's very difficult to diagnose a noise from a general description. The best thing to do is not conjecture - just take it into the service department and have a person who's familiar with the model diagnose the issue. There's a good chance they've experienced the same issue on another vehicle already and will know what it is right away but if not, they at least know the components on the vehicle and can narrow down the noisy culprit.
Thanks. Unless I can replicate this noise on a consistent basis, I will not check the car in for service. I did go to the dealer and they have mentioned the power steering system. Either the problem will go away or it will get worse, at which time I will go to the dealer.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: Chirp happens when turning left or right. Typically, I am entering a 90 degree turn at 30 to 35 km/hr. I am coasting in and when I accelerate smoothly/lightly I sometimes get the chirp/beep. It is not a tire screech.

·
Registered
391 Posts
UPDATE: Chirp happens when turning left or right. Typically, I am entering a 90 degree turn at 30 to 35 km/hr. I am coasting in and when I accelerate smoothly/lightly I sometimes get the chirp/beep. It is not a tire screech.
could it be the power steering belt having a little too much tension on it?

i mean, youve heard of old cars that you might have switched the power steering belt. if you installed it with too much tension, it'll make a screech or chirp when turning.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
could it be the power steering belt having a little too much tension on it?

i mean, youve heard of old cars that you might have switched the power steering belt. if you installed it with too much tension, it'll make a screech or chirp when turning.
I haven't looked yet, but do we have a serpentine belt connection still with our EPS? I thought it was eliminated and run by motor only in the rack only now?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts