Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again folks,

I am new to the MDX world and just picked up my first MDX. It's a 2017 and has almost 58k miles on it. Seeing that it is a used car and I do not know the history of the vehicle, I think I would like to bring it into Acura to have them give it good look.

The oil life on the car is showing 100% left. Is it possible that the used car place that I picked the car up from reset the oil life timer? Is the car actually smart enough to sample the oil in the engine and figure out how much life is left, or is it strictly going off of mileage?

My old Honda Pilot's owners manual had a section that would tell you what was due to be serviced/changed at 30k, 60k, 80k, 100k, etc. And for oil changes, I would just remember to get them every 5k or so as it had no fancy oil life meter. I cannot find this anywhere within the manual of my MDX. Am I missing it, or will the car notify me of everything?

Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
So the truth is, the computer calculate the oil life back on your driving habit, it's totally not base of the oil. So back to your assumption, yes, they could just reset the oil life before giving you the car. Or, you can pull out the dipstick and check. When I just got my MDX, I changed all the fluid just in case.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If you can't find the service records, you should plan to replace the fluids and filters down the road for a good starting point (engine oil, transmission, transfer case, rear diff, brake fluid, cabin air, engine air filter). Probably wouldn't hurt to check the tires for wear and rotate/balance them. The coolant, serpentine belt, and spark plugs can wait until 105K service.

·
Registered
893 Posts
So the truth is, the computer calculate the oil life back on your driving habit, it's totally not base of the oil. So back to your assumption, yes, they could just reset the oil life before giving you the car. Or, you can pull out the dipstick and check. When I just got my MDX, I changed all the fluid just in case.
CarFax will have a record of most work done by dealerships. If you can't verify that major fluid changes were done, go with MR Gold's advice. Also check with Acura for any open recall work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought mine too. And after 3 weeks of driving the oil minder never changed from 100%. So I changed the oils and reset the minders. Hopefully it will change...

·
Registered
24 Posts
You’re prob right, but I the last dealer work was almost 8500 miles previous so I figured I better change.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You’ll get a maintenance code on your dash where it says 100% oil life.

Look up the codes they are all fairly straight forward.

The Maintenance Minder is based on your driving habits but there are some that are mileage triggered.

I wouldn’t trust a dealer, it’s very easy to reset the maintenance minder. You can check your oil from the dip stick but by now it’s probably darker in color so it may be harder to tell.

Dealers cut corners all the time and I would treat it like they didn’t do it and do it again anyway for the piece of mind. It’s an easy DIY.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You’ll get a maintenance code on your dash where it says 100% oil life.

Look up the codes they are all fairly straight forward.

The Maintenance Minder is based on your driving habits but there are some that are mileage triggered.

I wouldn’t trust a dealer, it’s very easy to reset the maintenance minder. You can check your oil from the dip stick but by now it’s probably darker in color so it may be harder to tell.

Dealers cut corners all the time and I would treat it like they didn’t do it and do it again anyway for the piece of mind. It’s an easy DIY.
Totally agreed, also, the 6 speed model is relatively easy on all the fluid change, just DIY.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called into a local dealer here and I was told that there is no clear cut maintenance schedule for 30k, 60k, 80k, etc. The service guy I spoke to told me that the car will let me know when it needs service done. Is this true?

In a couple weeks I will be bringing my MDX into a local Acura dealership to have them give it a good long look and perform any maintenance that is outstanding. Including fixing the sunroof issues and dents.

I'm hoping that they will be able to give me a loaner car for the time that they have mine. This will be a BIG bill I'm sure.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I called into a local dealer here and I was told that there is no clear cut maintenance schedule for 30k, 60k, 80k, etc. The service guy I spoke to told me that the car will let me know when it needs service done. Is this true?

In a couple weeks I will be bringing my MDX into a local Acura dealership to have them give it a good long look and perform any maintenance that is outstanding. Including fixing the sunroof issues and dents.

I'm hoping that they will be able to give me a loaner car for the time that they have mine. This will be a BIG bill I'm sure.
So for a used car, I don't really trust the computer reminder, I mean, you don't know if the services was performed when they reset the minder last time, if you get it from new, and stick with the schedule, then yes. I changed all fluids and calculate the time frame on my own.

·
Registered
525 Posts

I don’t always go by the maintenance minder codes.

Which is here: https://owners.acura.com/service-maintenance/minder

I drive in the mountains a lot so I change my transmission and rear differential fluid more often than called for.

I change my air filter 8 months (no need to have the dealer do this easy DIY and you don’t even need tools)

I change my cabin filter every 6 months (same as above easy diy with no tools needed)

I generally listen to the MID for oil changes unless it’s near and I am doing my other cars. I alway change the filter with every oil change. I believe the MID calls for every other to change the filter.

Things the MID will not tell you, when you need brakes, rotors, brake fluid change, power steering fluid change, suspension and everything else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update on my oil change indicator: The oil indicator is down to 90% the reminder is working . I took it on a couple of longer drives to familiarize my wife and myself and it finally moved so after a couple weeks of driving. I don't trust the company I bought it from and am glad I changed the oil myself. As to the other fluid replacements I will replace them at either 30K or 60K or use the minders to tell me. The brake fluid and power steering fluid I do every two - three yrs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Owners' Manual calls for brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years regardless of miles driven. For 2015, the Power Steering is electric, no more PS fluid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts