Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never leased a vehicle before. I've purchased 3 vehicles in my life. The first one is in the junkyard after 14 years on the road. I still own the second two vehicles. With that in mind, I have a few quetions. The last one being the most important to me.
1. Is there a good "Beginners Guide" for leases (Acura or in general) that highlights fees or any added costs versus buying outright? (I live in Maryland, if that matters)
2. We (my wife) is set on a specific MDX (hybrid tech package, white exterior with tan interior). There is not one to be found near us, so we need to order one. Do we have any negotiating power if we were to order a vehicle?
3. The dealer states there is an incentive for $7,000 off the MSRP for leasing. He suggests leasing the vehicle and then buying out the lease with a loan from our credit union when the first payment comes in. This seems like a sales tactic. What am I missing here?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
448 Posts
1. There's lots of general leasing guides/FAQ type of articles out there.

2. You lose a lot of negotiating power when you order. Incentive programs are set for 30 days at a time, so the dealer has no idea what they will be when the car arrives and you will be stuck with whatever is on at the time.

3.Leasing then buying is a bad idea. There is typically a $1,500 or so dealer profit built into the secondary transaction, so you paid the value down to $35,000 then have to pay $36,500 to buy out the lease. If you are going to buy it then just buy it and be done. If you are planning to turn it in at lease end then lease. The only thing the lease gives you is a protected exit point in the case that the model you picked turns out to be a lemon (all hybrids overall, not just the one you got) and those models become white elephants because nobody wants to buy used ones.

Leasing gives you a never ending payment scenario. Some people are ok with that, others not. It's generally not a horrible deal for someone who wants a new car every 3 years and dealers love it because it provides a steady stream of potential CPO cars, but for someone who likes to run without a payment for a while so they can pay cash or put a huge down payment on their next car it really doesn't work.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd recommend checking out the MDX leasing forum thread at Edmunds (Google it) for additional explanation of how leasing works (I.E. money factor finance charge, residual based on mileage allowance, term length). Sounds like your dealer is attempting to pocket some of their factory to dealer incentive dollars if you're still looking at a leftover 2019...

2019:
$5,500 purchase incentive
Base: $7825 lease incentive
Tech: $8800 lease incentive
Advance: $8800 lease incentive

2020:
$5,000 purchase incentive
Base: $5100 lease incentive
Tech: $6025 lease incentive
Advance: $6025 lease incentive

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd recommend checking out the MDX leasing forum thread at Edmunds (Google it) for additional explanation of how leasing works (I.E. money factor finance charge, residual based on mileage allowance, term length). Sounds like your dealer is attempting to pocket some of their factory to dealer incentive dollars if you're still looking at a leftover 2019...

2019:
$5,500 purchase incentive
Base: $7825 lease incentive
Tech: $8800 lease incentive
Advance: $8800 lease incentive

2020:
$5,000 purchase incentive
Base: $5100 lease incentive
Tech: $6025 lease incentive
Advance: $6025 lease incentive
One thing to note...the lease incentives don't tell the whole story. The residual % will be enough higher on the 2020 vs 2019 to most likely offset the difference in incentive. Quote both and you might even get a lower payment on the 2020 unless the dealer simply holds out on the selling price (cap cost in lease terms) on the 2020's to help clear out 2019 inventory. There are many ways the dealer skins the cat.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Here is a site with a calculator that I use: https://www.leaseguide.com/
Another site that has been recommended in other forums: https://leasehackr.com/

Good info about leasing on both sites.

Re Acura Lease incentives, these are incentives to the dealer, not the consumer. They are not advertised, so the dealers have discretion on their usage so you still have to negotiate capital cost. I have seen in forums before where a dealer will deny there are any incentives. I look at TruCar and use that as the capital cost before incentives are applied, adjusting for any difference in purchase and lease incentives.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I may start leasing. Nothing lasts anymore and at least with a lease I can treat it like trash and put in the crappist of gas and top off with cheap dino oil every year.

The only maintenance Id do for a lease is change the air cabin filter every 6 months (because that benifits me) and the wiper blades every year.

I’d probably have to do rear diff (if applicable once)

Just before I return it I’ll do a proper oil and transmission fluid change.

After owning the POS third gen, where parts are unreasonably high I think I’d save money by leasing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts