Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day I looked at my '03 X in the garage from behind and it seemed as though it was leaning slightly to the left. I've measured from the top of the wheel wells a couple of times and got at least 3/4" lower on the left. The fronts measured equal. The first time I measured, I know the tire pressures were the same. The second, I didn't check them (just got home). For good measure (ahem), I checked my Camry, and it's rear's were the same.

I've had the impression that the X doesn't corner quite as well when turning to the right (ie. weight shifts to left), especially on curvy freeways. Of course, I could be imagining this after measuring.

So, what do you guys think? Normal tolerance, weak shock or what?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ZXTT said:
One day I looked at my '03 X in the garage from behind and it seemed as though it was leaning slightly to the left. I've measured from the top of the wheel wells a couple of times and got at least 3/4" lower on the left. The fronts measured equal. The first time I measured, I know the tire pressures were the same. The second, I didn't check them (just got home). For good measure (ahem), I checked my Camry, and it's rear's were the same.

I've had the impression that the X doesn't corner quite as well when turning to the right (ie. weight shifts to left), especially on curvy freeways. Of course, I could be imagining this after measuring.

One problem has been broken sway bar links in the rear. You may want to kneel down and ensure they are intact on both sides.
There are many links to this discussion under 'sway bar' search. Including pictures of a broken ones.
The shock does not support much weight, per se, but if it was weak it may cause some handling problem, so while under there see if they are leaking. Not sure if the broken link would cause a difference in height either, somehow I don't think so. Check for the obvious then bring it in. It's NOT normal.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Neither a bad shock nor a broken link SHOULD cause a sag. If it's anything other than normal tolerances, it could be a weak spring or a compressed or missing spring "end shim" (if they're used) [I haven't checked the manual to see].

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the replies. I checked the sway bar links some time ago. I didn't crawl under the there, so I didn't get a good look at anything else. It's time for an oil change, so I'll get them to look at this.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
ZXTT, I don't think you're imagining things......

ZXTT said:

........cause I get the same feeling with my MDX.......feels like the left FRONT side is sagging ever so slightly. I can't tell anything visually from the outside. However, when I 'm cornering right (making a right turn) it gives me a "seat-of-the-pants" feeling like there's more body lean (weight shifts left, just like you say!!) ......By the same token I can corner real agressively when making left turns with NO BODY LEAN WHATSOEVER :confused: :confused: .......Until I saw this thread, I did not even want to mention this to the dealership, as they would probably think I'm nuts :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts