Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after many weeks of searching, then weeks of waiting including "shipping" from Texas...our X finally got here! It actually arrived yesterday, but today was the 1st day we could actually pick it up from the transport company.

So...after spending 2-3 hours at the MVD for registration and title, and then 4-5 hours doing the "Zaino" thing (wash w/Dawn, claybar, wash again, 3 coats of Z2/ZFX), it looks pretty darn good.

More updates to follow - gotta go to sleep:eek:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Congrats!! It's a great feeling isn't it? It only gets better...

·
Registered
285 Posts
SonShine said:
Well, after many weeks of searching, then weeks of waiting including "shipping" from Texas...our X finally got here!
congratulations.....

just curious, why it was shipped from texas? was it supposed to be shipped directly from the factory in canada?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...I think I covered part of this in another thread, but here's the whole story:

My wife & I have been looking for a new car for about 2 months. We initially started with the intention of buying a sports sedan to replace our Jeep Grand Cherokee, but eventually the pricing, space and amenities didn't feel right. We then began looking at SUVs again and fell in love with the X...but she really wanted Granite Green which had already been discontinued. All of the dealers here in AZ were done with their shipments and had 2-3 month waiting lists for most of the other colors. So, I started contacting dealers in California (Southern 1st then Northern), Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and Colorado. Eventually, I lucked out in finding exactly what we wanted (base model, no mandatory accessories or price gouging) in Texas because the guy who had the deposit on it decided to go with Havasu Blue instead (at his wife's request :) ). The process went pretty smoothly from that point and it got here yesterday.

Already love it!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Congrats, SonShine.

You will have a lot of fun with your new X. :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
SonShine said:
Well...I think I covered part of this in another thread, but here's the whole story:

My wife & I have been looking for a new car for about 2 months. We initially started with the intention of buying a sports sedan to replace our Jeep Grand Cherokee, but eventually the pricing, space and amenities didn't feel right. We then began looking at SUVs again and fell in love with the X...but she really wanted Granite Green which had already been discontinued. All of the dealers here in AZ were done with their shipments and had 2-3 month waiting lists for most of the other colors. So, I started contacting dealers in California (Southern 1st then Northern), Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and Colorado. Eventually, I lucked out in finding exactly what we wanted (base model, no mandatory accessories or price gouging) in Texas because the guy who had the deposit on it decided to go with Havasu Blue instead (at his wife's request :) ). The process went pretty smoothly from that point and it got here yesterday.

Already love it!
Wow, congrats, how far did you have to drive to pick up the car? I drove for 2 hours and thought it was long already... until of course I got the car;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only had to drive across town to get it from the shipping company's drop-off point.
It took roughly 1 week to get here from the time it was dropped off in Texas (actual transit time = 2-3 days).

The company the dealer selected was Dependable Auto Shippers and they have a website - www.dasautoshippers.com where I tracked the progress. I think you can also get a quote.

My dealer offered to split the cost of shipping with me, but I think I may have paid 2/3 instead of 1/2. I am going to bring this up with them today...

Anyway, it looks like they paid $660 but they told me $900 so I paid $450. It works out pretty well because I only paid "Use Tax" when I registered the car here and not sales tax. This saved me approximately 2.1-2.5% on tax depending on where I would have bought the car locally. This covered my shipping costs :)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats!

I'm sure you'll love your X.

I've been waiting for a couple months; I just found out today from my dealer (Acura of Memphis) that the date has slipped another month. Second time this has happened and has soured me to the point of going out today to look at the Mercedes and BMW X5. Different kinds of vehicles, I know, but I'm tired of what seems like playing games.

If I've got to wait, maybe I'll just save money and buy the Pilot (forgive I even said that).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
GtownMDX said:
Congrats!

I'm sure you'll love your X.

I've been waiting for a couple months; I just found out today from my dealer (Acura of Memphis) that the date has slipped another month. Second time this has happened and has soured me to the point of going out today to look at the Mercedes and BMW X5. Different kinds of vehicles, I know, but I'm tired of what seems like playing games.

If I've got to wait, maybe I'll just save money and buy the Pilot (forgive I even said that).
GTown, have you tried other dealers. Some on this forum have just waited two weeks total. If you call around, I'm sure you'll find something.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GTown:

I was amazed at how many places I contacted actually had (or had incoming) MDXs that either fell out of deposit or weren't spoken for. For us, the color was the main reason we went out of state because we weren't in any hurry. I was a little apprehensive about getting the car "sight unseen" other than a couple of pictures...but the dealer I worked with in Texas did a great job overall. If you do buy out of state, make sure you know the laws regarding taxes. If I paid tax in another state, I would have sacrificed extra $$$ - supposedly you can get a refund, but who knows how long that would take!

Let me know if you need any help/advice on how to go about this since I kind of know how it works now (in terms of contacting dealers/who to contact). We also considered the ML320, but we didn't like it as much as the MDX and it was more costly. The X5 would be nice, but again cost did play a factor.

Good luck!

P.S. Don't feel embarassed about the Pilot because I was considering one also :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for all the encouragement! Guess I'm just frustrated with my local dealer. I have tried 4 other dealers in neighboring states, but that was before my local dealer said he would have one quickly.

I did test drive the ML320 and the X5 today. The ML320 was nice, but other than styling I didn't think it had any compelling features. The X5 drove and handled absolutely spectacular. However, no seating for 7, the navigation system is CD based, not DVD, et. al. and then there's the additional cost.

Of course, one of the worst things about buying something other than the MDX is I'd feel like a misfit hanging out with all you guys! :D It might seem weird, but one of the things that really got me pumped about the MDX is this web site and the terrific user support. As a 20-year Marketing veteran, the some of the best marketing dollars Acura could spend would be to support this site, as long as anything goes.

Now, if I could just take the sound system and seats from my Volvo S60 T5 and put those into a MDX, I'd wait a long time for one to arrive. I am on a project where I drive 250 miles per day, 7 days a weeks, and believe or not, I like my Volvo more every day. The MDX is for my wife who is currently driving a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We just got feed up with taking the Jeep in every few weeks for something (electric window motors were replaced 5 times in four weeks and the thing has been towed in 6 times for other serious mechanical problems).

Anyway, sorry for the disertation; you guys have given me hope to contact more dealers tomorrow morning! Thanks, maybe I'll be a MDX'er yet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hah! My wife was also driving a Jeep GC, but it was a 1997 model. Although we haven't had to get towed for any major mechanical problems, we've had our share of annoying/minor things plus our front and rear differentials had to be replaced in the last 9 months. That was enough repair costs for me, which is why we got the X. Once the Jeep is repaired fully (it's in the shop again), it's outta here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations on Your Granite Green MDX

It's fortunate that you were able to get the Granite Green color you were looking for. I also am looking for this color. I had no idea they were discontinuing it because it seems like a popular color. The dealer I spoke to in SoCal said it was the second most ordered color. Do you have any leads or advice on how I can find one at this late stage? All the dealers I have contacted in California don't have any or have not responed to my e-mails.

Thanks.:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts