Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple of old threads on insurance premiums, but the way the infomation is presented makes it hard to compare rates (lots of $200 more than my old car, references to web sites, etc).

For those willing, please post the following:

-Annual rate for the MDX (not both/all cars in family)
-Your deductable
-The city or state you live in

Obviously, folks may have different levels of comprehensive coverage, but this would put us in the same ballpark.

I'm asking because I was quoted:

$1326, with $500 deductable in Memphis (For the MDX I'm getting Saturday!)

The same company has my house, umbrella policy, and other car. I'm over 30 and married with no wrecks/tickets. Seems high to me.

Thanks in advance for the info

·
Registered
818 Posts
I live in Clearwater Florida, I pay $719 a year for my MDX with a $500 deductible. I am also over 40 years old so that may be why mine is so low?? I am insured through Liberty Mutual.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My premium(Northern NJ) with AIG is $1520 per year(this includes multi-car and homeowner's discounts) with $500 deductible. Hmm, I thought AIG has good rates(at least before MDX I got from them much better rates than from GEICO and others; for home - too), but comparing to $719, - might wanna shop around again.

·
Registered
411 Posts
MDX is presently our 3rd car. My premium went up by $208/6 Months. I have 100K/300K/100K Liability with $100 deductable. I am in Northern CA, just over 30, married with kids :)

I am sure this will go up when MDX becomes my primary mode of transportation. I am insured through American Express.

·
Registered
594 Posts
NJ rates

dfroim --

You rates are probably pretty good for where you live -- NJ has the highest insurance rates in the country.

·
Registered
86 Posts
davegood,
yes, I think, you're right. Actually, when I was posting I wanted to metion that 'area code'. Anyway, I called my company and was going to post an update. They said the area is the key!

For a long time I could not understand what all the local politicians are talking about promising to bring down NJ's highest auto-ins rates nationwide. Now I know what do they mean. The thing is I always compared the rates to Brooklyn's(NYC, where I lived before) ones and they always won that comparison by a big numbers. When I moved to NJ my premium went down becoming almost twice less - that's why I could not understand how do they get 'highest rates'. I still think that Brooklyn is the worst place to have a car(in term of insurance), but state-wide NY probably has much better rates. And having rates more than 3 times higher than in CA, for example, makes it really ridiculous.

Resume, - almost not possible to get a fair picture of Ins. rates here by comparing everyone's premium.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Alvin-

Comparing other's rates is difficult due to location, coverage and age. I pay only $400 per year in Cincinnati. Why not just get 3 or 4 comparable rates. I use GE insurance, and they are on the Internet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You guys have good insurance rates. 30 yoa, married, no tickets and accidents that were not our fault (I'm not surcharged, but no accident free discount either). 100k/300k/100k, $250 deductible and leasing it. $800 6/mos.

So. Florida.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Rates

100\300\100
$200 ded on collision
$50 ded on comprehensive

$505 a year and my 18 year old daughter is allowed to drive it.

Company is Erie Insurance based in PA.:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Premium adjustments

Does anyone think that there will be any adjustments to insurance premiums due to the MDX's excellent performance on the recent IHSS crash testing?

See:
http://money.cnn.com/2001/12/11/autos/crash_test/index.htm

I know insuraunce companies probably expected the MDX to do well, but what is the point of having the "Insurance Institute of Highways Safety" assess risk if premiums are not adjusted accordingly with a vehicles saftey performance?

(Anyone else shocked the Explorer did as well as it did, a lot of improvements I guess from previous years.)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was quoted about $762/year-- which means it actually went down $80 from what I'm paying for my 96 integra. 100/300/100 w/ $500 deductible. 30 yr. old, single female with no accident or ticket history. Allstate Ins.-- Upstate NY.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Los Angeles, CA area (Granada Hills 91344 in the San Fernando Valley)

$500 deductible on comprehensive and collision, 300,000/100,000/60,000UI

$898 per year with mutli-car and good driver discounts.

State Farm is the company.

Alvin said:

-Annual rate for the MDX (not both/all cars in family)
-Your deductable
-The city or state you live in

·
Registered
56 Posts
2001 MDX Insurance $448/year

The Hartford (AARP) ---$500 deductable 100/300 includes collision and comp (for finance co) Carson City, Nevada rates with 2 car discount (1998 Honda Accord V6---$452/year) My total per year=$900.00 FOR BOTH CARS.

We have medical included.

We have alarm, side airbags, ABS, no accidents/tickets and garaged at night discounts.

·
Registered
594 Posts
this is wierd - read this

OK, so I called my insurance carrier today tyo get a quote -- I have USAA, who is normally very competitive. In any case, the MDX is $100 more per 6 months than my current 1999 Jeep Grand cherokee. When I asked why -- was it because of the higher relative value, she told me that they put cars into 3 safety categories -- 1 above avg, 2 = avg, and 3 = below avg. Anyway, the jeep is a 1, and the MDX is a 2 (average).

When I mentioned the IIHS ratings saying that the MDX was the safest out there, she didn't seem to have an explanation.

Very wierd.....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, you could look at this several ways. The "safer" the automobile, the more deformation to the crush zone, the HIGHER the repair bill. The "safer" the automobile, the more intact the safety-cage, the LOWER the *human* repair bills (personal injury claims).

Without detailed knowledge of each underwriters methodology for calculating their rates, we will have a difficult time doing an "apple to apples" comparison.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
27 Participants
vip9
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing