Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is the first winter for the MDX Sport Hybrid I would like to start this thread to find the best way to operate our Sport Hybrid in the cold weather. The Hybrid uses the ICE for heating which reduces EV time and changes our gas mileage in cold weather. I read some threads from the RL Sport Hybrid community over at Acurazine.com and they confirm that winter operations are different for the Hybrid. I think the A/C runs a little differently in the summer, doesn't seem to need the ICE to kept the car cool. So, what's the best way to set up the heating system to stay warm but balance the ICE vs EV operation? Personally, I like to set the temp at 74-75 and keep everything on AUTO, ie seats and climate control. Any Hybrid owners have some other ideas?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm driving a non-hybrid... but I'm surprised to see you're keeping the climate control at 74-75?? That's objectively hot!

66-68 is where I keep mine.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm driving a non-hybrid... but I'm surprised to see you're keeping the climate control at 74-75?? That's objectively hot!

66-68 is where I keep mine.
To each his own. Every one is different. I don’t know what ICE means.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ ICE = Internal Combustion Engine

Personally, I like to set the temp at 74-75 and keep everything on AUTO
Wow, that's really warm. I set mine on 70/auto 4.5 years ago when I bought it and haven't touched it since then summer/winter.

The heater in most vehicles (outside of pure electric and air cooled) relies on the coolant to be heated by the engine (really it's cooling the engine) to circulate through a heater core, which is really just a small radiator, with a fan blowing air across it to warm the vehicle. Of course this requires the engine to run at a normal operating temperature to heat up the water.

You might want to try cranking down the climate control auto setting to a lower temp and rely more on the seat heaters since they're electrically generating heat and thus don't rely on the engine.

Note that I've never used the seat heater other than testing it to see if it worked since I live in an area where it's not needed so I don't know how well the above setup would work. I also don't have the hybrid.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
And what is your avatar? :grin:
Hardy-har-har.

There is method to my madness, however. If I dress appropriately for the weather, it doesn't make sense to have it 78 inside the MDX -- I'd have to strip out of my clothes every time I got in the car. Instead, by keeping it 68 I can be comfortable while only having to remove my jacket. The heated steering wheel is lovely for when my hands are feeling crisp. Ultimately, I'm happy as a clam.

I only thought it was relevant since the OP was lamenting the need for the ICE to run to generate heat, and setting the thermostat at 78 will only cause the system to call for heat longer than a lower setting.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I only thought it was relevant since the OP was lamenting the need for the ICE to run to generate heat, and setting the thermostat at 78 will only cause the system to call for heat longer than a lower setting.
OP clearly not a candidate for Polar Bear Club membership.................

"SHRINKAGE!!!!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just took delivery of my Hybrid in the beginning of the month, and have amassed a whopping 15.8 MPG on the first tank....Zero EV

I live in Michigan, so certainly the weather has been cold; but even with MAX heat, stereo on full, heats and steering wheel heated, all window defrost....would you expect this low of a yield!?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
We don’t know your driving technique. You’re in cold weather,using max electricity. You probably aren’t getting the car fully warmed up. What do you mean MAX heat? Cold weather is not the best for hybrids.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Usually when talking in mechanic lingo the term "Motor" is used to describe Electric Motors.
I have yet to meet a mechanic that refers to a combustion engine as a "Motor", But granted the term Motor can be used for electric or gas powered by the common tongue.

I would simply use Engine and Motors instead of a very car specific Acronym as "ICE", Never occurred to me what ICE stands for until I read it today here.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
ICE is used throughout the industry and existed before cars did. It was to differentiate them from external combustion engines (think steam locomotive).

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
ICE is used throughout the industry and existed before cars did. It was to differentiate them from external combustion engines (think steam locomotive).
We know the term. It’s just not heard that often in general conversation. Usually you hear. “It’s running on electric or gas.”

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm gonna say "motor" is generic and "engine" usually implies internal combustion engine in modern times, but I have certainly encountered the term "steam engine". I don't think I have heard or read "electric engine" or "rocket engine". :nerd:

What about "jet engine"?

But if you happen to visit a hybrid forum, you will get your fill of ICE.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can only speak from my experience with a 2006 RX400h that I once owned. Winter use would see my fuel economy jump from around 8 L / 100km to 10 L / 100km. Winter gas was part of the reason, but also the ICE would have to run more often to keep the coolant warm for cabin heating and also to keep the catalytic converter hot for emissions reasons.

In the summer, the A/C was purely electric and would run off the battery. It was weird seeing the crank pulley spinning around with no belts attached to it because there were no accessories to drive (no p/s pump, no alternator, no a/c pulley).

The term ICE was well used in the Lexus forum I frequented back in 2006, so it's not new terminology.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We don’t know your driving technique. You’re in cold weather,using max electricity. You probably aren’t getting the car fully warmed up. What do you mean MAX heat? Cold weather is not the best for hybrids.
Driving style has been rather conservative and in normal mode. Max heat means cabin setting at Max temperature. Regardless, I guess what gets me is that I am getting ~60% of the advertised MPG, and if one considered only gas driving, it is still worse than my F-150!! In any case, it is back at the dealer, they were also not liking what they saw. Apparently they looked at the records and as the car was delivered (100+ miles of highway) the numbers weren't much better.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Driving style has been rather conservative and in normal mode. Max heat means cabin setting at Max temperature. Regardless, I guess what gets me is that I am getting ~60% of the advertised MPG, and if one considered only gas driving, it is still worse than my F-150!! In any case, it is back at the dealer, they were also not liking what they saw. Apparently they looked at the records and as the car was delivered (100+ miles of highway) the numbers weren't much better.
As an aside,why would you have the heat at MAX? If it’s 0 outside,the car will not warm up any faster if it’s set at 72 or MAX. If it’s set on Auto,the fan will go on high until the inside has reached the desired temp. Then the fan will slow down. You should try it. It works the same during the summer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts