Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truly, this has been the best car I've ever owned. Bought an 06 used with 90k miles on it about 9 years ago. Did all my own maintenance except for timing belt professionally done at 110k. Religiously flushed tranny fluid at every oil change (1 quart drain/fill every 7500 miles). Since we tow a popup trailer, a Rockwood 2280, I added a transmission cooler replicating the setup from this thread (43420-b-m-ps-trans-coolers-installed.html). I'm in California so I ended up bypassing the radiator cooler for added peace of mind.

Anyhow, it's been great but at 160k miles, towing and taking the family out camping for 4-5 days with 2 kids, 4 bikes and dogs, I'm not sure I'm feeling comfortable taking the risk of breaking down. It's also a little too small space wise with all the gear involved. Not planning on getting rid of it but looking for a replacement that would accommodate our current needs.

I've bought a 2500 Silverado but ended selling up because the thing was just too big to drive around town. I've looked at Toyota Sequoia but not particularly impressed by it. Looking for any recommendation and/or people who have been in my shoes. Something a little bigger, as pleasant to drive as the MDX and with a slightly more towing capacity considering the MDX all loaded with trailer does struggle a bit climbing some of the passes in the Sierra Nevada.

· Registered
1,953 Posts
I don't think a vehicle exists that will drive as well as the MDX but has more towing capacity... The changes to the chassis/suspension necessary to improve towing capabilities will necessarily reduce sportiness. That said, there are vehicles with exceptional towing capabilities that do still handle reasonably well -- even if not on the level of the MDX. I had a GMC Sierra Denali, for example, that hauled/towed extremely well. It had the magnetic ride control suspension and was probably the best-handling pickup truck I've had the pleasure of driving. That said, it's the same size as the Silverado that you thought was too big... And although the handling was superb for a pickup, it did not match the MDX.

Was your issue with the Silverado the length? Width? Both?

If the issue was length, then consider a Tahoe/Yukon -- they're a shorter wheel base.

If the issue was width, then you'll want to avoid full size trucks. Maybe a Toyota 4Runner or Lexus GX460 would work? They won't handle as well as the MDX, but they'll tow better, for sure.

· Registered
2,532 Posts
What p07r0457 said. It's really hard to find something with the size, road manners, and reliability of the 1G MDX. Later ones are fine vehicles, but just not as big. I know we often use just about all the room in ours when we do cross-country trips.

FWIW, mine is coming on 230,000 miles, but I don't have any qualms about heading out in it - just got back from a 7500 mile trip, in fact. Keep up on the regular maintenance and it'll be more likely to get you there and back than many other "lesser vehicles" with a lot less miles on 'em.

I agree that the 4Runner is about the best choice for something a little bigger with better towing capacity, with lots of comfort and reliability. Of course, they're pricey, and they are a lot more "truck-like" than the MDX (which feels more like a slightly overweight station wagon). ;-)

Finally, I wouldn't get too tweaked about towing a pop-up with an MDX. Take it a little easier accelerating, and when climbing steep hills. Otherwise the added load is mainly aerodynamic, and not that huge (since the trailer is so short).

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think a vehicle exists that will drive as well as the MDX but has more towing capacity... The changes to the chassis/suspension necessary to improve towing capabilities will necessarily reduce sportiness. That said, there are vehicles with exceptional towing capabilities that do still handle reasonably well -- even if not on the level of the MDX. I had a GMC Sierra Denali, for example, that hauled/towed extremely well. It had the magnetic ride control suspension and was probably the best-handling pickup truck I've had the pleasure of driving. That said, it's the same size as the Silverado that you thought was too big... And although the handling was superb for a pickup, it did not match the MDX.

Was your issue with the Silverado the length? Width? Both?

If the issue was length, then consider a Tahoe/Yukon -- they're a shorter wheel base.

If the issue was width, then you'll want to avoid full size trucks. Maybe a Toyota 4Runner or Lexus GX460 would work? They won't handle as well as the MDX, but they'll tow better, for sure.
Mostly with length and definitely turning radius. To make matter worse, the Silverado I owned was the 2500 3/4 ton with crew cab and 8 ft bed. That thing was just a beast to drive and park around town.

The 4Runner was a pretty worthy candidate until I test drove it and felt how much more stiff that ride is. Also felt like the inside cargo area was almost less than what I have in the MDX.

· Registered
731 Posts
RE the 4runner, everyone I have ever sat in it seemed my knees were up in my face. I assume the floorplan is higher, but still, I couldn't drive on a daily basis.

I would look hard at a newer Tahoe, not the Suburban length one...4WD and a very tight turning radius compared to the long bed truck you were driving.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
My pickup is a 2500 Ext Cab Long bed so I know what you mean. At over 20 ft long it does not fit in a regular parking space, but the 8 ft bed is great for hauling.

Before I switched to MDXs, I drove GMC Yukons, so I would suggest looking at those or Tahoes. It will probably be as wide as the pickup, and although probably longer than the MDX, it will be at least 3 ft shorter than the pickup.

· Registered
1,953 Posts
Yes, I'd say Tahoe/Yukon if you want a SUV. Otherwise consider a GMC Sierra 1500. The Denali trim is quite nice and has most of the bells/features of a luxury vehicle. It's still large... but smaller than your 3/4 ton was.

· Registered
202 Posts
FWIW, I've tested the new 2018 Lincoln Navigator and found it to be a real step above my 2016 Tahoe. Even in the lower trims, it is very nicely appointed, has independent rear suspension (vs. the Tahoe's solid axle), which means the third seat lies flat, and it has comparable room, better towing capacity, and better mileage with the Ecoboost V-6. Although I've owned Tahoes and Suburbans all of my adult life, I'm seriously considering swapping the Tahoe out for this year's Navigator. It should be a great stablemate for our 2009 MDX.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
FWIW, I've tested the new 2018 Lincoln Navigator and found it to be a real step above my 2016 Tahoe. Even in the lower trims, it is very nicely appointed, has independent rear suspension (vs. the Tahoe's solid axle), which means the third seat lies flat, and it has comparable room, better towing capacity, and better mileage with the Ecoboost V-6. Although I've owned Tahoes and Suburbans all of my adult life, I'm seriously considering swapping the Tahoe out for this year's Navigator. It should be a great stablemate for our 2009 MDX.
Also FWIW, I read an article yesterday that they can't build the high end 18 Navigator (MSRP 100k) fast enough to keep up with sales. They are selling very well and eating into Escalade sales.

· Registered
278 Posts
I rather use my money especially 100k to buy investment properties as vehicles are a loss, a depreciating asset. I own 3 rental condos so I am using my 05 mdx I paid 5500 for hauling things and it works great as long as you cut plywood/drywall in 2x4 or 2x6 pieces which isn't an issue at home depot, Lowes or dunn lumbar.

My next vehicle will probably be a mid or late 2000s suburban or Silverado, whatever I can haul items without any worry of damaging it. Yet for now, the mdx is just allot more fun to drive in and more compact yet still hauls great and I don't have a worry in the world if I tear something up (I don't cover anything when hauling) or someone bangs their shopping cart or car door or even if someone has a fender bender with me, no worries at all, can't beat that especially here in Seattle :) although the car is in mint condition for 180k lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.