Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't believe how tight the handling on my '03 MDX is when it turns on corners at pretty fast "reasonable" speed.
Do you guys who own '03 also feel very confident because there is very little body sway?
I don't know about '02 or '01 MDX?
Is there an after market swaybars or is it necessary considering how tight it is?
Since I am new, could you please share your experience on your handling X.
I just want to know the limit: how much speed you did when cornering and the curve?
Does anyone bring MDX on the track?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey fellow M3er

I was just discussing this last night with my wife. We had the MDX out since the weather was nasty. I had just been out in the Grand Cherokee earlier (and my usual driver is an M3). I have been VERY impressed by the handling of this "SUV." And all this with wimpy 235/65 tires. Of course, this takes away from off-roading, but it still does OK.

P.S. I would NOT put an aftermarket swaybar on an MDX. #1 - sway bars greatly detract from off-roading by severely limiting suspension "flex" (obviously). But, by planting the front more on the MDX or tightening the rear, the breakaway would be much more pronounced and abrupt. NOT a good thing in an SUV, no matter how good the handling. Easy to catch the M3 in a slide - SUVs don't "slide" they "roll".

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Next to the X5, the MDX has always been considered to have above average handling for an SUV.
Consumers Report did knock it down a bit for emergency handling.
I would like to see their evaluation of the 03 MDX which is improved even more plus has VSA.
I agree with rroof, handling is a critical factor in an SUV, I would not do anything to upset that balance.
It is designed to handle properly under all different conditions including towing and carrying loads both of which affect weight distribution.
Modifications to reduce roll further could have detrimental results when you least expect it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
03 should handle better than 01/02 MDX and ride better at the same time. The following are reported by Acura:

** Steering was redesigned (to provide a more linear, on-center feel).
** New steering damper valve (reduces swaying and bumpiness at high speeds).
** Rear suspension spring rates are slightly stiffer (for improved wheel control).
** Front/rear damper stiffness were reduced (to improve ride comfort).
** 03 has VSA.
** 03 body rigidity increased 35% over 01/02.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are the best :)
More input from any of you will be appreciated.

Thanks,

I am proud to be a member of this community

:D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Handling

Haven't got my '03 yet, but, I strongly suspect that the increased boy stiffness has a lot to do with the handling feel. One of the primary reasons BMW's handle so well is that they have one of the stiffest chasis. Very much looking forward to getting my X.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've had two occasions where I had to swerve to avoid debris in the road, both times at high speed (once at 80 mph and once at 65)...the handling was incredible, a slight turn of the wheel to the left and back to the right, with no fishtailing or loss of control...awesome response with an 02 so the 03 must be incredible!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thoroughly agree the the 03 handles extremely well. It is very responsive to driver commands. The throttle is very smooth and uniform, and they got the speed sensitive steering just right. I feel very little sway at all going around corners.

I do feel that this comes at the expense of ride comfort. I feel every bump. More than I recall feeling in the 02 test drive. But I would not change for the world.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with everyones comments on the 03 handling abilities. It's almost uncanny for an SUV. Our other car (truck) is an Explorer and talk about night vs day or bad vs good! This 03 X is superlative IMHO in it's road handling abilities. After completing rather speedy turns I am always surprised that the turn is finished. I am constantly waiting for that typical SUV lean-into- the-turn thing. This car just doesn't have that characteristic. No rear turn-out that I have noticed at all. It does whatever you ask it to without a groan or lean or a squeel of a tire. It just goes smoooothly and with CONFIDENCE. I have a mere 800 miles on my X and was somewhat caucious about it's capabilities at first. I gain huge amounts of confidence daily with this baby. Forget even thinking about sway bars. This X will out perform an awful lot of cars out there including purported sporty types. This IS a SPORTY UTILITY VEHICLE with a boatload of whats good in life to pamper you. This thing is a different pleasant surprise every day.:4: :cool:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
jgrahamiii wrote:
I thoroughly agree the the 03 handles extremely well ... I do feel that this comes at the expense of ride comfort. I feel every bump. More than I recall feeling in the 02 test drive. But I would not change for the world.
Interesting observation, NOT at all what I would have suspected ... the "literature from Acura" would have one believe that the 03 had a better ride than the 01/02 design (softer shocks, improved steering, body more rigid, etc.). They specifically indicate this in their training materials for the dealers.

Hmmmmm

·
Registered
840 Posts
Training materials. How pathetic. Man, all those salespeople gotta do is educate themselves about their cars like we do. Hell I do that for almost ALL brands. It doesn't take much, and it's not even my livelyhood I'm looking to improve, unlike them...

You know, I always wanted to go to a dealership and tell them "hire me for FREE for a month and let's see who sells more cars, me the rookie doing it for free or your top shot guy". :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jgrahamiii wrote:
I thoroughly agree the the 03 handles extremely well ... I do feel that this comes at the expense of ride comfort. I feel every bump. More than I recall feeling in the 02 test drive. But I would not change for the world.
---------------------------

Actually the "bump" is why I think MDX is a REAL SPORT utility vehicle. I can FEEL the road from the steering wheel just like you can feel the road if you drive any BMW. The MDX "road bump" is actually felt only from the bottom seat slight vibration.

I have suggestion to people who always complain about comfort (I am tired of hearing this a lot from people comparing MDX and Pilot or any other cars),
Get a new or used (--> a lot cheaper ) Mercedes Benz S -class which is the best comfort you can find before going to jump to Bentley or Rolls Royce level :)
You won't even feel or think that you ARE MOVING, unless you are looking at the speedometer.
I like the previous model S class (1992-1999) than the newer (absolute comfort) because of this seat slight vibration.
:)

In my opinion you are not driving unless you can feel road vibration, it is the same as seating in a chair. I can do that when I work or watching TV. What's the fun on that?
:2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts