Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch edmunds.com site from time to time to see how the MDX "True Market Value" (TMV)is doing. It helps me *found* my MDX originally and came to this board to finally own one. About a month ago, the 2002 Touring Navi on the Emunds site is about $1K over MSRP in my area. Now the TMV has jumped to about $1800 over MSRP again.

Does this mean that the MDX is getting harder to get based on the wide-talked-about supply and demand principle? This may not be a surprise since excellent crash test and latest Automobile magazine's top choice for midsize SUV and Edmunds' most-wanted SUV award.

This certainly is a positive news for those already own one but bad news for those of you waiting...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I don't think so......IMHO, because......

..........in the past few weeks I"ve been called by 2-3 Acura dealerships I had visited and left my name 5 to 6 months back, telling me that they had MDXs readily available with the options I wanted (Touring+NAV) at MSRP so long as I was not particular about the color........and then just out of curiosity (even though I'm not in the market for an MDX anymore - well....that depends, I guess.....if the 2003 MDX comes out with something like 280bhp, who knows, I just might not be able to resist that and might change my mind :D ).....I asked the salesman what time frame could I expect if I was not flexible on color choice - and he said even then it should take no longer than 4 to 5 weeks and if I wanted to come on down and leave a deposit!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I don't think so......IMHO, because......

vicpai said:
[B.. it should take no longer than 4 to 5 weeks and if I wanted to come on down and leave a deposit!! [/B]
Well, it is the fact that there are still no MDXs readily on the lot yet. On my post, I am not looking to "look into the future" or to speculate what will be a perfect SUV next year and beyond. I am just curious on the price jump as quoted on the Edmunds, wondering if other people have the same observation. It is my understanding that Edmunds survey all over the country and give their best shot on the price in your neighborhood. The only way to jump price is to have shorter supply. The question is based on today's condition, not on future.

BTW I saw some good comments from you before. I found it interesting that you are no longer on the market to buy an MDX yet seem to stick around to see if you can convince yourself otherwise.. ;) I am not on the market to buy one either. I've got one. :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
MDX Power - I like it, even if not a dragster

I seen a number a comments including one of the foregoing articulating a hope that the 2003 MDX will have more HP, (260, 280, 300 HP?). As far as HP (and low-end Torque goes), I am a also a believer in more is better, but have you ever stomped on the MDX gas pedal? This beast really moves! Not just off the line, but low speed and high speed passing, as well - it's remarkable. As with all things, there is a diminishing return. Especially for one that weighs, what, 4,800 lbs. Of all the areas for improvement, HP is certainly not one of them. Besides, try lighting up 280 or 300 HP with your wife and small children in the car - not exactly responsible family driving.

·
Registered
91 Posts
harder to get?

I got my 02 SS Premium in November and really loves it. Went back to the dealer to pickup some included accessories two days ago. They did have 3 2001 Black Tour+Nav with every possible accessories in stock, but they are from customers who backed out. I guess they must have been company bonus cars or something since they were three identical black with ALL the accessoires.

Other than that, I haven't see available MDX's there or at another dealership that I went to recently (to help a friend get a 01 Integra). In fact, the other dealership was still quoting the same delivery wait times.

I would not surprise me if the wait is still the same or even slightly longer in some areas. As for the awards and other news about the MDX, a friend who saw our new MDX recently immediately said, "hey, that's the SUV that was in the news that was rated really safe!" The amazing thing is that she was not a car nut, just someone who watches the news.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Re: MDX Power - I like it, even if not a dragster

mdxpecting said:
I seen a number a comments including one of the foregoing articulating a hope that the 2003 MDX will have more HP, (260, 280, 300 HP?). As far as HP (and low-end Torque goes), I am a also a believer in more is better, but have you ever stomped on the MDX gas pedal? This beast really moves! Not just off the line, but low speed and high speed passing, as well - it's remarkable. As with all things, there is a diminishing return. Especially for one that weighs, what, 4,800 lbs. Of all the areas for improvement, HP is certainly not one of them. Besides, try lighting up 280 or 300 HP with your wife and small children in the car - not exactly responsible family driving.
I agree, though I am likely in the minority here. Not wanting more power if proposed is sort of like not wanting your taxes cut. I love power too, and the power (straight-line acceleration in a multitude of ranges) of the MDX is something that I really enjoy.

That said, you figure that there is only a limited set of $'s that Acura can raise the 2003 price with. I'd rather see them put that money into 1) upgrading the interior materials quality; 2) adding stability control; and 3) making xenons available. There are other things, but I figure just those three alone would raise the cost of the vehicle roughly $1,500. That price increase could be a combination of a reduction of the dealer margin and of course a pass-on to the consumer (e.g. $500/$1,000). I'd say side curtains too but I don't consider them as essential for a higher-riding SUV, and there's that cost issue again.

Nevertheless, almost all rumors focus on the 3.8L upgrade to the 2003 MDX, so I doubt if we'll see all three of the above additions

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree on the power issue. The MDX is already one of the fastest SUVs without a V-8, especially in the so-called designer-ute class, and I'm very pleased withit. The only one that could keep pace is the BMW X5 which was a bit slower 0-60, substantially slower 0-90, and only 0.2 sec quicker in top gear acceleration tests (all according to C&D's Designer-Ute Smackdown article). (New Envoy might be quicker though, I'm not sure). The MDX smokes any of the V-8 powered SUVs from Lexus/Toyota, plus I'm not aware of ANY currently available V-8 powered SUV that can get more than 13-14 mpg in the city, and with my lead foot, I'd be lucky to get 10 mpg in one :p However, if Acura can maintain the fuel economy and emissions level of the MDX, while boosting dislacement and power/torque, more power to them (pun intended :D ). I think they were able to do just that with the 2nd gen CR-V, boosting displacement from 2.0 to 2.4L, hp from 146 to 160, and torque from 133 to 162, all while maintaining (I think) roughly the same MPG. So hopefully that's what they plan for the MDX as well. A boost of 20 hp on the MDX would probably be enough to push 0-60 times down about a half second or so into the mid 7s.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Re: I don't think so......IMHO, because......

RedMdxMemphis said:
Well, it is the fact that there are still no MDXs readily on the lot yet
I guess this depends on where you live. South Bay Acura in Torrance has tended to keep at least five or six MDXs on the lot all the time. They get a larger than average allocation due to several factors, but if you want the colors/packages they've got on the lot, there is NO waiting. In fact, they told me that due to the number of dealers in southern California (and the correspondingly large number of MDXs), they could get ANY color/package combination in a day or two by trading with another dealer.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Re: Re: MDX Power - I like it, even if not a dragster

Agreed, more power would be about the last thing on my list, particularly if it came with an attendant drop in gas mileage and still required premium fuel. If they can raise the horsepower some - or even keep it the same - and reduce the fuel requirement to regular, that would be a much bigger selling point for me than just a raw horsepower increase. I'd rahter see them concentrate the money elsewhere on other improvements.

wmquan said:

Nevertheless, almost all rumors focus on the 3.8L upgrade to the 2003 MDX, so I doubt if we'll see all three of the above additions

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Remember one of Acura's biggest achievements.....

..........The original redisigned TL from 1999 and today's freshened version both have 225bhp engines which are rated 19/29 city/hwy......When Acura brought out the TL-TYPE S version with 260bhp (a whopping 35 bhp more ) with the same displacement the achievement was really great in itself, but the truly amazing thing about this whole deal is the Fuel economy remains exactly the same as the regular TL at 19/29!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm sure if they boosted hp for the 2003 model (which is very likely from all the rumors, posts and future vehicle forecasts from auto magazines) they could very well keep fuel economy right where it's at!!!

Acura is certainly not going to let fuel economy drop regardless of a power increase because this is one of the strongest selling points for this SUV

........and, yes, I'd like to second William's opinion on the improvements: certainly, SIDE CURTAINS, VSA and XENONS!!! (side curtains and Xenons probably being the most desired)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More power is better.. but within reason...

wmquan said:
I agree, though I am likely in the minority here. Not wanting more power ...
Most the time I drive alone with my MDX. The power to pull this beauty away other cars is simply more than what I can use. I can say I want 300 HP.. but I just won't need it. I don't exeed speed limit too much so the main purpose of the horse power is to pull away from a jam or to pass. I have learnt to put that joy stick shift :) to 4 and push the fuel... and I will be a hundred yards from the guys behind me in seconds. I have yet to have a chance to push the acceleration pedal down the floor. I am afraid the MDX will just lift off...

Say I am not a Nascar driver.. I won't mind. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts