Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Mobil 1 synthetic at a 7500 schedule. I noticed today that after 6000 miles, the X was short a quart of oil. I add the requisite 5 quarts at the change, and each time when I get close to the next oil change I seem to have to add another quart.

Is anyone else having this problem? Could this be the start of some engine problems?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
ootyboy said:
I use Mobil 1 synthetic at a 7500 schedule. I noticed today that after 6000 miles, the X was short a quart of oil. I add the requisite 5 quarts at the change, and each time when I get close to the next oil change I seem to have to add another quart.

Is anyone else having this problem? Could this be the start of some engine problems?
What weight oil did you use? Like 5w-20 or 5w-30??? Doesn't sound good!!!!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Is this your first fill w/a synthetic?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use 5W-30

I use the the 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The car has not had regular oil in it for almost a year. Each top off is with the 5W-30 oil as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
ootyboy said:
. . I noticed today that after 6000 miles, the X was short a quart of oil. I add the requisite 5 quarts at the change, and each time when I get close to the next oil change I seem to have to add another quart. . . . .
How often do you check the oil?
How many months between changes?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I don't know that burning a quart every 6k is something to worry about. I was asking if it was your first syn fill since IIRC a first syn change can result in additional consumption (or is that an urban legend?).

I had read on www.bobistheoilguy.com that some VTEC engines will consume oil (more than your 1qt/6k) if they're run hard. Dunno how "hard" you drive. I *just* did my first fill w/M1 5-30 a few weeks ago, so too soon for me to check for comparison purposes.

You could post your question over there to see what they have to say about it...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long Driving

My last oil change was in Kansas City @ 21,500 miles, and I then drove x-country to California. I guess I did drive it pretty hard during the trip. I now have about 29,000 miles. Averaged, around 85-90 Mph with a fully loaded Thule cargo box on top.

That might explain why I was short a quart of oil :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I change mine every 3750 (20,000 on 'er now), and the oil level doesn't drop noticeably between changes. Years ago (I don't know about now) it was common for Mercedes to get 800 mi/qt.!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
5000 miles before needing a quart is good.

There are a lot of owners of other vehicles that wish they could go 5000 miles before adding oil.

Even when my GMC P/U with a 5.7L V/8 was new it needed oil before the oil change was due and I changed oil at 3000 miles. When new it needed a quart at about 2200 miles, now with 115000 miles it needs a quart at about 1500 to 1600 miles.

In my MDX I change oil at 5000 miles. Both times I have done an oil change it was only about 1/4 quart down from full.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
My X doesn't appear to burn any measureable amount of oil - even after 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I can't tell if my 'X uses oil- there is virtually no detectable difference on the dip stick from change to change.

I'd be VERY concerned if after break-in you are using a qt every 6k!

I have a Q45 with 200,082 miles and it uses perhaps 1/4 qt between changes- of course, I use that antiquated, low performance, conventional, non-synthetic stuff.....

Ard

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
ardvarkus said:
I can't tell if my 'X uses oil- there is virtually no detectable difference on the dip stick from change to change....
My experience is exactly the same...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've got 1800 miles on my 03 and it was down a full quart. Did anyone else notice that consumption when new? As an aside, seems to me that burning a quart of oil in 2000-3000 miles is not outrageously high. I 've had cars such as a Porsche that burned more. Curious if anyone else noticed a some consumption over break in period.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oil level is dead on full at 2,450 miles. Checked it 3-4 times and its spot on full. Color was a sort of amber shade but not burnt brown of really old oil nor that clear/yellow of new oil.
I will be changing oil at ~3,500 miles if not earlier. I plan to go a few more changes (like 1-2 more) and then switch to synthetic.
I baybe'd my X till about 600 miles before I started towing a small utility trailer, avoided full throttle starts till 1K miles, and have been driving the way I normally drive (agressive) ever since.
Man I love the sounds of taking it up to redline!!!
YMMV

·
Registered
476 Posts
From perusing the UseNet, it appears that manufacturers are saying that oil consumption of 1 quart in 1500 miles is within an acceptable range. I am going to call the Acura service department on Monday and ask them what they consider to be acceptable.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've used absolutely no oil so far, in any of my Acuras actually.

I once had a GM product that used 1qt in 1,000 miles and they told me anything up to 1qt in 800 miles was considered normal.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
norcalchuck said:
I've got 1800 miles on my 03 and it was down a full quart. Did anyone else notice that consumption when new? As an aside, seems to me that burning a quart of oil in 2000-3000 miles is not outrageously high. I 've had cars such as a Porsche that burned more. Curious if anyone else noticed a some consumption over break in period.
IMHO, no modern engine should burn a quart in 2-3k! Especially in the first 100k. Perhaps a bit in break in, but not after the first 2k...

I can see an older aircooled Porsche burning a bit, but again not modern times- just MHO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ardvarkus said:

I can see an older aircooled Porsche burning a bit, but again not modern times- just MHO.
On the last series of air-cooled Porsches (Late 1994-mid 1998), the 993 chassis style "911", 1 liter per 1000km is the Factory Service Limit...

That's about a quart per 620 miles...:2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts