Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a while with driving with our MDX (its my dad's but I mostly drive it like 95% of the time), I don't understand why it makes me tired and sleepy, whereas my 1999 Honda Accord with a peppy F23A1 4 cyl. engine makes me engaged in driving and not tired. What is the difference here, other than one is a freaking SUV and another is a mid-sized sedan, and one has a V6 while the latter has an i4. After all, I was the one that suggested to get an Acura TLX (my dad otherwise, chose the MDX for himself, clearly I'm the one still driving it).

MDX specs in my sig.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Mdx is more comfortable and quieter.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mdx is more comfortable and quieter.
So would that be the reason why I'm getting tired while driving the MDX and not tired while driving my Accord?

·
Registered
59 Posts
So would that be the reason why I'm getting tired while driving the MDX and not tired while driving my Accord?
Are you getting tired? Or are you feeling relaxed? Those are two different things. My guess is that you're more relaxed in the MDX, because it's a luxury vehicle that's designed to be super-comfortable (at least more so than the Accord).

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The Accord, specially that year Accord should have a softer yet more engaging driving dynamic than the MDX thanks to the lower ground clearance and less weight so you have to focus more on the driving while the MDX (Specially the 3rd gen) is designed for a soft, relaxed driving..

Basically what you are feeling is not a boring drive but simply a more relaxed less focused driving experience.. Most luxury vehicles are designed this way.
As for the "Peppy" factor there is no contest the MDX is faster than the Accord but since its designed to have less cabin noise (Meaning you should not hear the engine that much) and thanks to the higher ground clearance it might actually feel slow but it isn't..

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Accord, specially that year Accord should have a softer yet more engaging driving dynamic than the MDX thanks to the lower ground clearance and less weight so you have to focus more on the driving while the MDX (Specially the 3rd gen) is designed for a soft, relaxed driving..

Basically what you are feeling is not a boring drive but simply a more relaxed less focused driving experience.. Most luxury vehicles are designed this way.
As for the "Peppy" factor there is no contest the MDX is faster than the Accord but since its designed to have less cabin noise (Meaning you should not hear the engine that much) and thanks to the higher ground clearance it might actually feel slow but it isn't..
Yeah, I do understand the whole luxury thing, but I usually drive with the dynamic mode set to sport and the gear set to sport.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
It is the isolation you feel with the MDX compared to other Honda/Acura vehicles. I get a lot more feedback with my TSX and RDX like road noise, road feel, steering feel, better 360 degree vision, wind noise, and engine noise. I really like that feedback because it makes be feel a part of the vehicle and it is an extension of my senses instead of isolated from it. My MDX has much less of all those things; which, can make it feel more isolated. It took me a little longer to learn how to drive her to get the most from the experience. My MDX is my main long distance hwy hauler because it does the best job of keeping me fresh once I get to the other end compared to my TSX or RDX after 4-12 hours.

Reactions: shortKarateGi

·
Registered
417 Posts
not sleepy

I'll never feel sleepy in my 17. I would consider the ride "punishing" over bumps, and there are a lot of those in Eastern PA, so all that jarring will definitely keep me wide awake. The harsh ride is one of my main complaints with this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'll never feel sleepy in my 17. I would consider the ride "punishing" over bumps, and there are a lot of those in Eastern PA, so all that jarring will definitely keep me wide awake. The harsh ride is one of my main complaints with this vehicle.
Punishing? This has to be hyperbole, right? How would you describe the ride or a Toyota Corolla? A “war crime”?

·
Registered
740 Posts
It is possible you are looking for excitement in your life, like many young folks do, and the MDX doesn't provide that cut thru traffic - let's play experience. Kinda like when I was in college and the two choices in the house were my dad's 68 Road Runner or the 67 Chrysler Newport.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There is a crudeness over bumps. Reminds me of Hyundai SUV's I tested 5 or 6 years ago. Suspension, at times, feels un-dampened. Medium to large road bumps elicit a "banging" suspension feel. I suppose the rear spring rates have to be high to compensate for third row use, but I think the issue is two-fold: poor suspension isolation and possibly crude shock absorber valving action. Maybe the 20" tires contribute to this feel, but I did have a 2014 Jeep GC Summit that drove much more pleasantly than this vehicle, and that also had 20" wheels and the same tire aspect ratio. This rough ride was not noticed during my test drive prior to purchase, but I became painfully aware of it after living with the car for a while after purchase. My bad, I guess, but compared to its competition, I think the MDX is lacking in ride quality. I don't want a "floaty" ride, but I'd like a more sophisticated one, worthy of this price range. Maybe Acura should consider electronically adjustable suspension settings, like some competitors in this price range. I've had some other issues (problems that can't apparently be fixed) I will not get into here, but I sadly would not buy again. The new Chevy Traverse and the related Buick Enclave would be high on my list, and the ride of both is amazingly better than the MDX. The Audi Q7 is a nice ride, but the price adds up when you start adding options. I've always liked the Ford Edge, but it still uses an old-school 6 speed trans, as does the Explorer. The new 3-row Lexus RX350L (3-row) might have promise if it wasn't for the very ugly front end and lousy infotainment controls. The Benzes and BMW's are too pricey and long-term reliability is suspect (put Audi in there also, I guess). Acura reliability has slipped last several years (see Consumer Reports). Sadly, I'm considering getting rid of the MDX, with only 7k miles. One last thing, loaner MDX's dealer has provided me have the same ride as mine.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I chuckled when I read the OP's post saying it made him "sleepy", vs driving his '99 Accord. I prefer to use the word "content". Perhaps the best description comes from my wife, who witnessed the transition from my '15 RDX AWD to the '17 MDX SHAWD from the front passenger seat. "The MDX rides like a luxury SUV was meant to - solid, smooth, quiet and refined - versus the RDX which was very busy ride-wise and never let me really relax while riding" :) From a driving perspective, I think the RDX was very busy and you had to pay more attention to driving - keeping the car straight on crowned roads, correcting over bumps, stability when cornering and accelerating. Wit the MDX, it just does all the right things and makes you focus on what's around you versus the busy nature of keeping the vehicle under control. It's just more pleasant driving the MDX - bottom line.

Now, let's compare the wife's '12 TL SHAWD to my MDX. You are COMPLETELY INVOLVED in driving the TL. You hear every exhaust note, you feel every part of the cornering and acceleration with that car, and are in complete control of everything it does. If the car is moving, you're moving with it - providing the heartbeat to what it does. Maybe that's what the OP's talking about when driving the Accord - after all the '99 was a more road-focused car than the current-gen accords. And the TL was closer to that than the TLX, which is much more isolated from the road and overall driving experience.

Maybe "sleepy" is just another word for letting the vehicle do most of the work.....

andy

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya'll points were on track. I haven't driven any other luxury vehicle, let alone drive anything other than the 99 Accord and the 16 Rogue and the 12 day loaner CRV for the past 2 years. After getting this car, and having ya'll input, sounds like it just how luxury is crafted and made.

When I use the term "sleepy", it means it is not that engaging even in manual mode. And I barely use AcuraWatch system... Kinda useless and waste for me, but I do see my parents using that suite of technology.

Other than that feeling, I actually do love this vehicle alot... We are trying to maintain low miles due to the next 4 years of me being in uni, the mileage will spike up drastically.

·
Registered
740 Posts
there is no question that the MDX rides quite harsh on bumpy roads or those with lots of patches. On a smooth freeway it is quite pleasant. But add a couple 1" or 2" bumps in the road from like a patch and it is a kick in the kidney and a slam in the head. Really. Both my 14 and 15 are that way but the RL was worse. On a Freeway at 70+ it handles quite well. The bumps are so harsh that now I hear my front shocks doing a whoop sound every time they climb a speed bump slowly. I suspect the one road we drive full of patches and manhole covers that are sunken about 1" - 1 1/2" are beating the front suspension to death. Car only has 29,000 on it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
As for the engaging drive..
Are pushing the MDX that hard to actually feel its limit points while cornering already? SPECIALLY if you do have SH-AWD??.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As for the engaging drive..
Are pushing the MDX that hard to actually feel its limit points while cornering already? SPECIALLY if you do have SH-AWD??.
Mine is FWD, not SH-AWD. I'm still trying to adapt to the whole new luxury experience, as 2 out 7 days a week isn't helping me that much.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
OP, I think I know what you mean. I drive a mixture of cars every week because I work on the family cars and take some my company's fleet vehicles on a daily basis, so I get the comparison between different vehicles--especially older, cheaper cars and the MDX. I think you need to find a car with more torque and better handling. Ultimately, the MDX is a heavy car with just a bit less power than it needs to really feel engaging, but it's not that bad either. Cars like the Accord are actually quite decently powered for its [weight] class. The other thing about a quiet, pleasant ride is that sometimes you go fast without realizing it because you might be used a buzzy 4 banger really pushing it to get up there or a vehicle with better torque and power to weight ratio giving you that push feeling... kind of a feedback loop that isn't being closed persay with the MDX. I kind of miss my old Forester for city scooting because it was exactly that.. buzzy but plenty of umph as long as I was at local speeds.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
After a while with driving with our MDX (its my dad's but I mostly drive it like 95% of the time), I don't understand why it makes me tired and sleepy, whereas my 1999 Honda Accord with a peppy F23A1 4 cyl. engine makes me engaged in driving and not tired. What is the difference here, other than one is a freaking SUV and another is a mid-sized sedan, and one has a V6 while the latter has an i4. After all, I was the one that suggested to get an Acura TLX (my dad otherwise, chose the MDX for himself, clearly I'm the one still driving it).

MDX specs in my sig.
In light of the Ford Explorer issue I would check for carbon monoxide.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.