Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that the MDX collects tons of snow in the Mud Flaps (what Acura calls splash guards)...So much so, that the wheels are often rubbing against this snow/ice formation...kicking it off does not work well and the "snow/ice formation" just laughs at the ice scraper...Anyone else experience this? Those in warm states need not respond!!!

Rich

·
Registered
312 Posts
Is this unique to the X? This happens on my Maxima and my old Accord too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I always wondered why they went to the stiff mud flaps. My '88 Accord has flexible rubber flaps. Much easier to kick off any built up crud. It also seemed more logical if you backed into a snow bank, the flap would give and not do damage to the fender. Hopefully, I won't ever find out on the X. The Poron should help there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Sierra Snow

Acura3 said:
Absolutely Herb! Poor design, even after getting back from a week of skiing, it is not that easy to clean out. Btw, how are things at WKRP?

Well, even after all this time, noone dresses better than Herb....miss that show....

I have found that the snow/ice can be so thick that the wheels are often rubbing against it....And you are right, it is pretty tough cleaning it out...oh well winter is almost over. I am going to miss snowmobiling though...

Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not noticed the ice and snow collecting on the mud flaps as much as the amount of snow (sludge) that is thrown up on the mirrors and side of car. I don't remember this occuring as much on the sides of Acura cars.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What were the design guys thinking anyway??? That open hollow area at the bottom catches the snow and slush which then freezes and becomes a block of ice. At least they could have covered that area over so that it is a smooth surface that snow wouldn't adhere to quite so readily.

Same bad design on my wife's TL too.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
HerbTarlek said:
I have found that the MDX collects tons of snow in the Mud Flaps (what Acura calls splash guards)...So much so, that the wheels are often rubbing against this snow/ice formation...kicking it off does not work well and the "snow/ice formation" just laughs at the ice scraper...Anyone else experience this? Those in warm states need not respond!!!

Rich
This happens on my '93 Maxima as well. I guess it is usual for most cars, which has mud guard on.............

- JTM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts