Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Involved in a minor rearend collision which has resulted in an enormous law suit against me. I bumped this car after stopping and looking for oncoming traffic . No Damage to either car but the lawyer wants to check for anything on an 'electronic data recorder"EDR. My question is for my 2015 MDX is "what data is recorded if there is a minor collision? I've heard Code 6 mentioned but don't know what it is( and neither does the Acura dealer). How are the data recorders reset and is that recorded. Feel this is a scam but it could cost me my house! Help!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I don't know the answer and it won't help you for this event but going forward (no pun intended) you might want to consider getting a dashcam. I have one in the MDX. These can at least record the event and reveal that it's a very minor bump versus a more major hit, and can sometimes reveal that it's a scam.

You said you stopped and then bumped the car. You must have been moving when you bumped it unless the car backed into you. A fairly common scam is for a car in front of you at a red light or stop sign to stop, then start to go, which then causes the car behind it (i.e. you) to look to the left for oncoming traffic and when you see none start to go but in fact the car in front of you stopped right after appearing to go so you end up bumping into them. This is a common scam so this person you hit s/b checked to see if they've pulled this one before.

To avoid the above one needs to make sure they never start moving forward in this situation while they're still looking to the left since they could hit the car as described above or could hit a pedestrian. I walk a lot (many miles per day) and would be hit by cars on an almost weekly basis due to this scenario if I wasn't as cautious and non-trusting as I am. The car stops, looks to the left for oncoming traffic, and never looks straight or to the right for a pedestrian and just goes. Sometimes they don't bother to actually stop.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've heard Code 6 mentioned but don't know what it is
Are you sure it was "code 6" that was mentioned? Could it have been "Mode 6"?

Mode 6 is part of the OBD-II specification, and includes a lot of emissions-related and system self-test data.

·
Registered
500 Posts
First, if you have insurance I think they should be handling this on your behalf. Secondly, I think I'd be searching for a lawyer, not a data recorder. Assuming there is a data recorder, why are you trying to access it and erase the data?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is a legitimate situation you're dealing with, my advice is stop discussing with your dealer and on public forums and let insurance/attorney deal with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Throttle position, speed, brake, are all available from data recorders. This information should protect you from someone looking for a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
713 Posts
How are the data recorders reset and is that recorded?
Wouldn't touch that for anything and I would encourage others not to either. It would be evidence tampering. Talk with your insurance company. If you were self-insuring then hire an attorney.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Evidence of tampering would not be in your favor unless you have something to hide.
Don't mess with that thing.

+1 for the dashcam as well. Not only does it provide evidence, it a deterrent.
I feel that these scammers would sometimes check for these and avoid cars with dashcams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts