Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I currently own a 2012 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo X, but want to trade it in for a MDX. From what I can research, sounds like the 2013 is the best year to go after. It was the end of gen 2 and seems to have the fewest issues. Any help guiding me to my first of many MDX's would be great. Looking to spend around 30k.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Not true. 2009 is the best bet.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The sweet spot is the tech version MDX. For the +10 MDX; you get some additional tech upgrades over the base version that makes it easier to sync your phone for calls and bluetooth audio streaming, faster hard-drive based navi system, more watts for ELS stereo, hard-drive for storing CDs, XM weather/traffic option, and a USB plug in center console for USB (stick with music formatted in FAT32) or smartphone.

The Entertainment feature:
- 2 level heated 2nd row outboard seats
- 110v plug in center console
- additional audio/video inputs/outputs on 2nd row center stack (removes 12v plug for additional audio input/output)
- overhead LCD screen with wireless IR headphones and remote (disc reader in center stack, no Blueray disc support)
- 2nd row can control XM, CD, DVD, harddrive music, FM, AM for them in the rear with wireless remote

The Adv version adds:
- CMBS w/ seatbelt pre-tensioners
- ACC
- BSI
- ADS that assist in also in keeping the MDX level during stops and the curves
- 3 level heated and cooled front seats
- larger front and rear stabilizer bars
- unique 19" rims for Adv version
- auto leveling headlights (adjusts if you have a heavy load in the rear or hitch)

Acura just added a factory 100,000 miles extended warranty for the 07-13 MDXs with the ADS magnetic struts/shocks. Since Acura offered the extra warranty for the 10-13 Adv/07-09 Sport ADS systems, there isn't a need for an Acura Care extended warranty if you are thinking about getting one. I really love the Adv version because I travel +20,000 miles a year from coast to coast. The tech version would be the 99% solution if my MDX was just my weekday commuter/weekend errand vehicle.

What to look for:
- OEM battery usually has poor performance or fails starting about the 3rd year. ANY battery replacement is better than OEM

- OEM tires get really noisy after 30,000 miles. Replaced my OEM tires on all three Acura at 30K because of the noise and poor slushy snow performance.

- If you pick a good set of tires, alignment, balance, and proper PSI the big girl can dance around any curve with the very aggressive sh-awd (with or without ADS) and cruise with confidence at +90 mph . She can ride crappy if the suspension or tires are off.

- Think about having Acura check out the ADS shocks/struts if you go for the Adv version from a non-Acura dealership. Sometimes the shocks/struts perform normal; but, start to show signs of failing (leaks, knocking/bumping/clunking sound with suspension travel). It did cost us about $800-$1200 per corner to replace the ADS struts/shocks before the extended warranty.

- Don't expect mpgs to be outstanding from the V-6 all the time. I've seen as low as 14 mpg in the city, 24 mpg on the hwy at +75 mph, and I average around 17.5-18.5 mpg with mixed driving. So don't be alarmed if you average 15-16 mpg on the trip computer. The MDX does a lot better on the open hwy mpg wise.

- The OEM 4300K HIDs were a little dim and aimed too low on my MDX. Updating to OSRAM or Morimoto HIDs 5000-5500 kelvin range and adjusting the aim really helped my MDX.

All the minor issues we had with our earlier versions seemed to taken care of by the 12-13 MDX versions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for all the advice. Really appreciate it all!

MrGold, thanks for going into detail! Would you stay away from any specific year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I just like to purchase with some of the 4/50,000 mile basic warranty left to fix any problem(s) discovered after driving for a few months.

I purchased my 11 MDX with 30K in Jan/2014 and it needed the following the first 6 months of ownership and it was covered 100% by the basic warranty:
- replaced Driver 1 fob
- reflash of 6AT
- reflash of firmware for "check charging system" light
- replacement of 2nd row center cup holder (wouldn't pop out when pushed)
- Passenger seat heater replaced (Adv MDX has different seat heaters)
- replaced front endlink (torn boot)
- replaced front magnetic struts (Adv issue only)

It has been just tires, new battery, and routine maint after that (now have +85,000 miles)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just like to purchase with some of the 4/50,000 mile basic warranty left to fix any problem(s) discovered after driving for a few months.

I purchased my 11 MDX with 30K in Jan/2014 and it needed the following the first 6 months of ownership and it was covered 100% by the basic warranty:
- replaced Driver 1 fob
- reflash of 6AT
- reflash of firmware for "check charging system" light
- replacement of 2nd row center cup holder (wouldn't pop out when pushed)
- Passenger seat heater replaced (Adv MDX has different seat heaters)
- replaced front endlink (torn boot)
- replaced front magnetic struts (Adv issue only)

It has been just tires, new battery, and routine maint after that (now have +85,000 miles)

Thanks so much. I agree, any of the basic warranty is always a plus. Doesn't sound like you have had any major major issues besides the struts and boot.

Now let the hunt begin!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Also, if you find one with the 4/50 warranty remaining, you can add Acuracare extended warranty. If that's something you're interested in. Some online Acura dealers sell full coverage up to 120k miles for fairly reasonable $$. I'm not much of an extended warranty guy so I didn't bother but I did get a quote to add the 120k mile option for around $2,200. Certainly not a bad deal if it helps you sleep better.

We've crossed 90k miles recently on our '12 and haven't had any issues. I've never been happy with how the transmission shifts and have complained about it a couple times but it's just a lazy shifting SOB. The center speaker occasionally rattles when the navigation lady gives instructions but I've been too lazy to mess with it. We rarely use the nav anyway. This is the longest we've kept a family hauler and have been really pleased for the most part. I've thought about buying a new one but I'm getting cheaper as I get older.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, if you find one with the 4/50 warranty remaining, you can add Acuracare extended warranty. If that's something you're interested in. Some online Acura dealers sell full coverage up to 120k miles for fairly reasonable $$. I'm not much of an extended warranty guy so I didn't bother but I did get a quote to add the 120k mile option for around $2,200. Certainly not a bad deal if it helps you sleep better.

We've crossed 90k miles recently on our '12 and haven't had any issues. I've never been happy with how the transmission shifts and have complained about it a couple times but it's just a lazy shifting SOB. The center speaker occasionally rattles when the navigation lady gives instructions but I've been too lazy to mess with it. We rarely use the nav anyway. This is the longest we've kept a family hauler and have been really pleased for the most part. I've thought about buying a new one but I'm getting cheaper as I get older.

Thanks Skinny2! That $2200 isn't bad at all. Will keep that in my mind as I look. Sounds like for the most part people are happy with their MDX. Makes me excited

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2010 advance with 75k miles on it. I love the way it rides. I just changed the spark plugs and serpentine belt. 1 owner. It doesn't seem like it burns oil. Everything works fine. I traded in my 09 pilot and the ride is night and day difference. The pilot felt like a cheap POS compared to the mdx. But one good thing about the pilot is it was definately reliable and its built to last. I hope to keep this car for a long time. I plan to replace the shocks with regular shocks when these ADS blow out. Should last well over 100k for these shocks tho... car feels solid over bumps and the cabin is very quiet. I probably need to do the brakes soon. But this car new is 55k! I paid less than half and it still has the new car smell. over all its still in great condition. paint was ok, itso black. Going to do paint correction when weather gets a little warm. But I love this car overall...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just traded in my 12 with 86k miles on it because my wife and I found the front seats to be painfully uncomfortable on long trips and it was burning about 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What makes the 13 the best?

Honda is a very conservative company. The first year of a model is not a real gamble (at least not compared to any Jeep product).

Pick 09 and down or 10 up. Base, tech, sport/advanced etc. then color. Done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What makes the 13 the best?

Honda is a very conservative company. The first year of a model is not a real gamble (at least not compared to any Jeep product).

Pick 09 and down or 10 up. Base, tech, sport/advanced etc. then color. Done.

From what I have researched, the 2013 has had the least amount of recalls or problems. End of gen 2, but who knows. Everything is subject to opinion and people may love their jeep, but I am ready for a trade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just traded in my 12 with 86k miles on it because my wife and I found the front seats to be painfully uncomfortable on long trips and it was burning about 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles.

Dang, that stinks. Hope that is an isolated incident

·
Registered
131 Posts
From what I have researched, the 2013 has had the least amount of recalls or problems. End of gen 2, but who knows. Everything is subject to opinion and people may love their jeep, but I am ready for a trade.

Sure, but when you are talking used, it's more about who owned it. Pick the one with the best condition and options for you. Any year of that generation will be better than a jeep.

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts