Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all MDX owners! Im new here and ive ordered my MDX and should arrive in 3 weeks! Red Rock! I was wondering if anyone knew the bolt pattern for the mdx?! Please tell me someone so i can order my rims before the mdx gets here! Thanks! Also, do you know of any good places to order rims from? and are there anyone who carries 22 inch rims? 20's are too small!

~Jimbo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
It's a wheel, not a pe*is! Bigger is not better.

You will sacrifice safety, performance and off road capability for....looks?

Try for a 26"- you can just glue on 1/8" rubber for tread- the ultimate in low profile rubber.

Go for it. Bolt pattern is 114.3x5 (4.5" cross lugs) stock is 45mm offset.

If you were on the mainland, you can sell you wheels as spares in the classified...not sure if shipping is worthwhile from your location.



Ard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
Keep the stock look

I'd rather not modify what the acura people came up with. I've done mod's in the past and they always come back to bite!!!!!!!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
I would agree, there are a lot of factors relative to steering geometry, and overall traction on different surfaces, that could alter what is now a nice balance of ride and handling for an SUV.

I could see going up to one size larger and maintaining the same diameter (255X60/17 vs. 235/65/17) or going for 7" inch rims of your favorite style. Those are relatively small changes or refinements that could give more grip as well as nicer aesthetics.
Of course more rubber on the road also may mean more friction, and reduced mileage, as well as heavier steering. There are always tradeoffs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
The majority of 20" or larger rims are made for cars. They don't have the strenght to withstand the weight and driving characteristics of SUV's and will bend with a good pothole. Also, tire for those rims are usually low profile, they don't last very long and are very expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no room to off road in hawaii unlike the mainland which you are all thinking. I drive 10 miles to and from work. There is only room to show off and yes im only 23 and can afford it! And how can you say they only make 20 for cars!? Have you seen the market lately!? Guess not. Well thanks again for the bolt pattern.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
We don't mean to sound critical, it's your vehicle and there's a tremendous after-market allowing you to really personalize the MDX.
I think most of us were just saying much the same thing, that the MDX was engineered to cover the driving conditions of MOST owners. There are always exceptions, and some of the pics on here of plus 1 and 2 wheel systems look great!
It certainly does not take away from the fact you know how to choose your 'wheels' :cool:

(Shades are for Hawaii, can't wait to visit again!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
Go for it. Just understand what you are trading. Watch out for potholes, dips and speed bumps with those 22"ers...

With a 10 mile commute, you won't really be able to tell if they get tweaked anyway!


Ard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
ardvarkus said:
It's a wheel, not a pe*is! Bigger is not better.

You will sacrifice safety, performance and off road capability for....looks?

Try for a 26"- you can just glue on 1/8" rubber for tread- the ultimate in low profile rubber.

Go for it. Bolt pattern is 114.3x5 (4.5" cross lugs) stock is 45mm offset.

If you were on the mainland, you can sell you wheels as spares in the classified...not sure if shipping is worthwhile from your location.



Ard
I saw some wheels with 114.3x5 bolt pattern but with 40 mm offset. would they work on the mdx, in particular for use as a wheel for a full sized spare tire?? I guess the car would be slightly off balance when it was in use, but certainly better than the donut??? Thanks in advance for any feedback/guidance :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
ardvarkus said:
It's a wheel, not a pe*is! Bigger is not better.

You will sacrifice safety, performance and off road capability for....looks?

Try for a 26"- you can just glue on 1/8" rubber for tread- the ultimate in low profile rubber.

Go for it. Bolt pattern is 114.3x5 (4.5" cross lugs) stock is 45mm offset.

If you were on the mainland, you can sell you wheels as spares in the classified...not sure if shipping is worthwhile from your location.



Ard
:19: :19: :19:

edepa, thank you for reviving this jewel.:claphead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
BaldEagle said:
:19: :19: :19:

edepa, thank you for reviving this jewel.:claphead:
hey, your more than welcome...but how about that wheel size with 40 mm offset? i have no idea what it means, and how would it be on an X as a spare? :1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Keep it stock. The MDX is lux (sort of) SUV and any mods will look silly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
jswift2000 said:
Keep it stock. The MDX is lux (sort of) SUV and any mods will look silly.
:4:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
edepa said:
hey, your more than welcome...but how about that wheel size with 40 mm offset? i have no idea what it means, and how would it be on an X as a spare? :1:
5mm is 1/4"

The offset is the difference between the surface of the hub (where the bolts hold the wheel to the hub) and the CENTERLINE of the tire/wheel.

A smaller offset means the tire will be closer to the car chasis, but only 1/4"... on the fronts it MIGHT mean rubbing, but I doubt it!

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
ardvarkus said:


5mm is 1/4"

The offset is the difference between the surface of the hub (where the bolts hold the wheel to the hub) and the CENTERLINE of the tire/wheel.

A smaller offset means the tire will be closer to the car chasis, but only 1/4"... on the fronts it MIGHT mean rubbing, but I doubt it!

A
I really appreciate the education! Ya learn great things here!!!!! since a 25.4 mm is an inch, i guess it is even less than 1/4 inch, around .2 inches. I can't imagine that would create any problem. thanks much, greatly appreciate the explaination!!!:)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top