Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
Our block heater is not really a block heater but an oil pan warmer. As pointed out in a previous post, its role is to keep the oil tepid enough that it will reduce the resistance when the engine rolls over on a cold start.

My X sleeps in the garage, so haven't needed to plug it in, although we've had some pretty cold nights. If it's anything like my Altima, which sleeps outside, the "heater" won't kick in until the engine temp reaches a certain threshold -- about -18C (0F) I've heard the "hissing" sound described above, proof that it works, and have noticed that the engine does warm up faster when it's been plugged in.

I also use a timer to ensure that the BH doesn't work unnecessarily. Three hours is all it needs.

· Registered
511 Posts
Re: Block heater heats the coolant

Tahoe4wd said:
Checked the supplied (by the dealer), acura installation instructions. They say that the block heater element is installed in stead of the block coolant drain plug. So the block heater does heat just the coolant. (Indirectly heats everything around it like the oil I guess).
I stand corrected. Thanks, Tahoe, for the update. One of these days, I'll learn not to ask the dealer about things mechanical....I'll ask his service guys instead!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.