Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 MDX starts normal, but I've noticed the light dim slightly each crank.
Went to the dealer, and he stated it was at 500 cracking amps. An Acura branded battery is at 610amp according to dealer.
I can't tell when it was changed or if it was. I did not feel confident enough to removing the battery to check the manufacturing date due to the several ground connections I saw.

Can someone guide me if its time to change my battery if its stating 500 cranking amps?
What is the minimum to crank a 3rd gen MDX? I've bought this MDX used.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
My 2014 MDX starts normal, but I've noticed the light dim slightly each crank.
Went to the dealer, and he stated it was at 500 cracking amps. An Acura branded battery is at 610amp according to dealer.
I can't tell when it was changed or if it was. I did not feel confident enough to removing the battery to check the manufacturing date due to the several ground connections I saw.

Can someone guide me if its time to change my battery if its stating 500 cranking amps?
What is the minimum to crank a 3rd gen MDX? I've bought this MDX used.
I would have thought that if it was bad,the dealer would have tried to sell you a battery.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
It's normal for lighting to dim somewhat when cranking.

The '610' number is the 'cold cranking amps' - i.e. the amount of current the battery can provide at 0 degrees. I doubt the dealer has any way to even test that.

The 'load test amps' rating on the factory battery is '305'. If the dealer even did a battery test it would have been a load test.

It doesn't sound like your battery has an actual issue right now - unless you're finding that it's dead frequently or it fails to be able to crank it to start the engine.

If it were me (and it is because I have a 2014 MDX built in June 2013 with the original battery), I'd just keep it until it began exhibiting a problem because there could still be another year or 2 or 3 left in the battery - but there could also only be a day left. If that makes you uncomfortable then you could always just replace the battery at any time even though it's working fine and may have a fair amount of life left, in the hopes it prevents an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer was able to give great pricing at $119.00 (Regularly 185) so I figured such a small amount is good for peace in mind.
It had minor leaking and corrosion.
The battery they installed Acura branded by Johnsons control is rated at 630CA

I feel it cranking better, but it could just be my nerves hoping I did not just wasted 119 dlls.

·
Registered
870 Posts
From the Acura warranty guide:

"A replacement battery from your Acura dealer is covered by a 100-month (8 years and 4 months) limited warranty."

But I dunno if that's prorated. $119 was a great deal. I usually just grab one from Walmart, but theirs aren't much less than that, and it's another trip to return the core for recycling. I'm not incredibly vain, but I'm not gonna replace a car battery in a Walmart parking lot unless I really have to...

[edit] Apparently, Walmart advertises that free battery testing and installation is available at some of their stores, but I've never used that service.

But the EverStart Maxx line from Walmart is supposed to be decent, as conventional lead acid batteries go. Made by Johnson Controls. 750 CCA, 5 year warranty ( three years full, 2 years prorated ). I did trim the plastic cover over the MDX's positive battery clamp to clear the vent covers on the battery. That probably wouldn't be necessary with battery from the Acura dealer. Might not be necessary at all, but back to that vanity issue... :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts