Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MDX-bashing at Honda Odyssey Forum

7K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  greatscot 
#1 ·
Came across some posts at the Odyclub.com website bashing the MDX for being "overpriced" and how it would be smarter to buy a Honda Odyssey instead. I found it quite amusing... Head on over to www.odyclub.com and look for the thread "Poor MDXers" in the general Forum (sorry, I haven't figured out how to post a link in my message yet). Don't get me wrong, I think the Odyssey is a mighty fine minivan and I am actually going to be putting down a deposit for the 2002 Ody with a RES (rear entertainment system with a flip-down video screen and DVD player). That's another 6-7 month wait :( I'm sure all you MDXers can relate to that! (the wait, that is)

#3 ·
You'd think Odyssey owners would be supportive of the MDX. MDX owners are usually quite supportive of the Odyssey. Most of us never hesitate to recommend one especially when someone needs the extra passenger space and cargo room. Oh well, to each their own, nothing to worry about. I wouldn't waste my breath posting against the opinions there.

#7 ·
The Oddyssey is a great vehicle, but those of us here obviously preferred the MDX for a variety of reasons. As for trying to defend the MDX in an Oddyssey forum......well...there's as much point to that as there is in mud wrestling with a pig, you both get muddy but the pig likes it. ;)

#8 ·
Well, if I'd wanted a miniVAN, I'd have bought one! :)

Once a year my college fraternity has an Alum vs Undergrad mud football game and there's always a lot of smaq talk that goes on before the game (via e-mail). And one of the classic slams from an undergrad was, "You just have your wife come pick you up in your minivan so you can stretch your weak weary bones out after we trample you "..... :) too funny.

#10 ·
Re: Apples and Oranges

I think I'll hop over to the www.acura-tl.com forums and do a little Odessy bashing:D

Or maybe I'll pull a Ken over there and be an MDX owner-basher;) :eek: :eek:

Seriously, the Odessy owners bashing MDXers is ALL about jealosy. There are many people who do hate SUVs, but there are many mini-van driving suv-wannabees:D

#11 ·
My father-in-law has said he'd willingly trade his Odyssey for our MDX. I'd bet he's not the only one, and I doubt if you'll hear many trade wishes going the other way.

That all said, the Odyssey is a great (though not perfect) minivan, and probably the best overall of the minivans (only other one I'd consider is the Sienna).

#12 ·
My wife still wants me to get an Odyssey. I do agree that it is a more spacious car and better suited for someone with lotsa kids. However, I just do not want to be a Minivan type of guy yet.... maybe, once you become a minivan guy, the jealosy creeps in ... Bash the MDX

#13 ·
William-

Ouch - that was pretty low..... of course, all kidding aside - I don't think of the ML320 as underpowered - check CR's 1/4 mile and mile times. Pretty much the same as the MDX (damn that VTEC).

As far as the Odyssey vs. MDX debate - c'mon, an entire flame war over one guy who obviously couldn't buy the MDX for one reason or another? Not worth it. You'd only add credibility to his statement.

#14 ·
Don said:
Came across some posts at the Odyclub.com website bashing the MDX for being "overpriced" and how it would be smarter to buy a Honda Odyssey instead. I found it quite amusing...
I think that getting a minivan is the smartest decision if you need the space and hauling capacity - so in that sense I agree that buying an Odyssey is smarter than buying an MDX. For some the Ody is a perfect choice. However, who wants to be smart and practical all of the time?:confused::D The MDX is the better purchase for me and I suspect nearly everyone on this board because it has many of the advantages of a minivan (not the lower price, of course) and yet is still fun to drive, semi-luxurious, better in foul weather, sportier, etc. Let them have the title of making the smartest decision, we will be happy with the better decision.:D :D

#15 ·
Not that I am in any great hurry to buy a minivan (in fact, the wife REFUSES to get one), but if Honda had an AWD for the Odyssey it would have made the MDX much more difficult to justify. Fact is, because of the hide-away third seat, there cannot be an AWD Odyssey.

#16 ·
JNanas said:
William-

Ouch - that was pretty low..... of course, all kidding aside - I don't think of the ML320 as underpowered - check CR's 1/4 mile and mile times. Pretty much the same as the MDX (damn that VTEC).

As far as the Odyssey vs. MDX debate - c'mon, an entire flame war over one guy who obviously couldn't buy the MDX for one reason or another? Not worth it. You'd only add credibility to his statement.
I don't know how many of you have seen the Matrix, but this is like that scene when Morpheus and Neo spar and Mouse goes and yells to everyone, "Morpheus is fighting Neo!!" and they all rush to watch the fight. :D

I guess the question is which one is Morpheus and which one is Neo?

The Odyssey is the best minivan you can buy IMHO....did you get that? MINIVAN

:rolleyes: Rob

#17 ·
Mikel said:
Not that I am in any great hurry to buy a minivan (in fact, the wife REFUSES to get one), but if Honda had an AWD for the Odyssey it would have made the MDX much more difficult to justify. Fact is, because of the hide-away third seat, there cannot be an AWD Odyssey.
Yes, it's a relatively artificial constraint because neither Toyota or Honda make AWD versions of their minivan. I'm not that hung up in the minivan image thing, and if there was an AWD Sienna or AWD Odyssey, I would have seriously considered it. They basically make the choice for us by not offering AWD minivans. I don't think Mazda sells an AWD MPV anymore. And I would not want a Chrysler minivan of any type, so that's out.

But, as you pointed out, an AWD Odyssey minivan wouldn't have one of the key features of the Odyssey. I'm not sure if it'd be relatively easy to adapt a Sienna to AWD though.

I don't buy that posted implication that traction control on the Odyssey gives you what you get with the AWD/VTM-4 in the MDX.

Can't beat access in a minivan, though. Those power sliding doors make things so much easier, especially loading kids into the second row.

#18 ·
Robyjo said:

I don't know how many of you have seen the Matrix, but this is like that scene when Morpheus and Neo spar and Mouse goes and yells to everyone, "Morpheus is fighting Neo!!" and they all rush to watch the fight. :D

I guess the question is which one is Morpheus and which one is Neo?
This may be a bit less exciting. Based on the number of posts, I think William would be Morpheus.

#19 ·
wmquan said:

Yes, it's a relatively artificial constraint because neither Toyota or Honda make AWD versions of their minivan. I'm not that hung up in the minivan image thing, and if there was an AWD Sienna or AWD Odyssey, I would have seriously considered it. They basically make the choice for us by not offering AWD minivans. I don't think Mazda sells an AWD MPV anymore. And I would not want a Chrysler minivan of any type, so that's out.

But, as you pointed out, an AWD Odyssey minivan wouldn't have one of the key features of the Odyssey. I'm not sure if it'd be relatively easy to adapt a Sienna to AWD though.
I remember Toyota did make an AWD version of Previa minivan once. And the Mazda 4WD MPV is a crap from every review I read.

Foxbat

#20 ·
You know what they say, "jack of all trades and master of none". An all-wheel drive minivan still isn't an SUV and it's a poorer minivan because of the weight and complexity added by the all-wheel drive system that makes it slower and less economical. The same thing applies to SUV’s with third row seating. They’re still SUV’s and the third row is best left for kids and the vertically challenged. While the MDX and Odyssey share certain lineage, they look different, drive differently, and are targeted at two separate audiences. It's like that Mitsubishi commercial where the minivan owner is paged in the gym that "there's a tan minivan with its lights on". Would you want to own the tan minivan? I for one wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan of any make even if they made one that overcame the laws of physics. I'm not putting down minivans, but comparing an Odyssey to an MDX, especially based on price alone, doesn't make sense. What difference does it make that the Odyssey is a "better value" if you didn't want a minivan in the first place?

#22 ·
Re: I Got Both....Case Closed!

octavian said:
My wife has an Odyssey....I have an MDX.

Different vehicles. Different strengths. Different weaknesses. Different purposes. Different appeals.

Both outstanding vehicles.

Next topic, please.
Ditto! If one were clearly better than the other, I would not have both either... And if both are not good enough, the NSX or S2000 will do.

#23 ·
Thrice is nice

Third that motion. My wife has the Ody, the MDX for me AND an S2000 for the both us.(see sig)

People ask us all the time if we own a bunch of Honda stock. No to that. Coincidentally, these cars were the best fit for our different needs. read, NEEDS. We have four kids, tow a boat, remodel the home, and go to the mountains often. Okay, the S2k is the toy. Sue me.

This thread was stemmed by someone who thought that because both vehicles are built at the same plant they must be too close to be different. There is only about a 6k difference and you get the Acura name/warranty/resale, AWD, better drivability, more luxo interior and more ground clearance. Not to mention the cool factor, but I'll leave the ego at the door.

I love all three and recommend all three.

Wee for me.

#24 ·
JNanas said:
William-

Just a joke, no big deal.

#25 ·
Foxbat said:

I remember Toyota did make an AWD version of Previa minivan once. And the Mazda 4WD MPV is a crap from every review I read.

Foxbat
Yep, the Mazda AWD MPV was not good at all. It was replaced by another model of MPV, one that isn't available with an AWD version. As for the Previa, well, good thing the Sienna replaced it!

Toyota used to make more AWD vehicles. I still remember AWD Tercel wagons and I think Corollas. Now everything has to be an SUV, basically leaving AWD sedans and wagons to other manufacturers. Pity.

#26 ·
JNanas said:
of course, all kidding aside - I don't think of the ML320 as underpowered - check CR's 1/4 mile and mile times. Pretty much the same as the MDX (damn that VTEC).
Which CR are you looking at? The last full test they did of a 6-cylinder ML320 was of a '98, and the differences between it and the MDX are significant.

And the 2002 ML320 is 200 pounds heavier than the 2001 ML320 so I'm afraid it'll be even slower (not to mention the small extra weight of the ML's optional third row seat, which isn't put in the test vehicles). This all said, the ML320's power is adequate for driving around town. Just less power than an MDX or even an RX.

Here's food for thought, if we're going to cite CR. Their 2000 ML430 (V8 engine) was 7.9 seconds 0-60mph, 4.8 seconds 45-65mph, and 16.3 seconds for the quarter mile. CR tested an MDX and it was 8.0 seconds 0-60mph, 5.1 seconds 45-65mph, and 16.4 seconds in the quarter mile.

Not too shabby at all! Obviously the ML430 has more torque and is better at towing heavy loads. But I think for "power" the MDX is much more comparable to a (very expensive) ML430 than an ML320. With this and the X5 4.4i, MB's given up on the ML430 and upgraded it to the ML500 (nice power in that vehicle, though quite pricey).

So, praise that VTEC!

Check the C&D luxury SUV roundup for more comparisons of power. The tests were run on a slow track, slowing everyone down, but the vehicles were all tested simultaneously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.