Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across some posts at the Odyclub.com website bashing the MDX for being "overpriced" and how it would be smarter to buy a Honda Odyssey instead. I found it quite amusing... Head on over to www.odyclub.com and look for the thread "Poor MDXers" in the general Forum (sorry, I haven't figured out how to post a link in my message yet). Don't get me wrong, I think the Odyssey is a mighty fine minivan and I am actually going to be putting down a deposit for the 2002 Ody with a RES (rear entertainment system with a flip-down video screen and DVD player). That's another 6-7 month wait :( I'm sure all you MDXers can relate to that! (the wait, that is)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Yay Don!

Oranges, Apples.

You go Don. Good job standing up for X'ers.
What a bunch of losers. They're over there cause they cant afford to be over here.

That's straight out jealousy!!!

I'm sure your Odyseeee's gonna be nice with all those goodies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
You'd think Odyssey owners would be supportive of the MDX. MDX owners are usually quite supportive of the Odyssey. Most of us never hesitate to recommend one especially when someone needs the extra passenger space and cargo room. Oh well, to each their own, nothing to worry about. I wouldn't waste my breath posting against the opinions there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Of course the Odyssey owners should be supportive of MDX owners, and vice versa.

They're both the same car, aren't they?



:D


(I'm only kidding, of course - but that one was all too easy....the flame war would be *ridiculous*)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Yep. They should gang up against ugly, unreliable, and underpowered German vehicles that try their best to look like minivans. :D

That was also too easy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel.Their wives probably made them by the minivan and this is their way of speaking out.Just a bunch of p---- whipped guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
The Oddyssey is a great vehicle, but those of us here obviously preferred the MDX for a variety of reasons. As for trying to defend the MDX in an Oddyssey forum......well...there's as much point to that as there is in mud wrestling with a pig, you both get muddy but the pig likes it. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
Well, if I'd wanted a miniVAN, I'd have bought one! :)

Once a year my college fraternity has an Alum vs Undergrad mud football game and there's always a lot of smaq talk that goes on before the game (via e-mail). And one of the classic slams from an undergrad was, "You just have your wife come pick you up in your minivan so you can stretch your weak weary bones out after we trample you "..... :) too funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
MoDX said:
The Oddyssey is a great vehicle, but those of us here obviously preferred the MDX for a variety of reasons. As for trying to defend the MDX in an Oddyssey forum......well...there's as much point to that as there is in mud wrestling with a pig, you both get muddy but the pig likes it. ;)
You hope !
;)
metmdx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,531 Posts
Re: Apples and Oranges

I think I'll hop over to the www.acura-tl.com forums and do a little Odessy bashing:D

Or maybe I'll pull a Ken over there and be an MDX owner-basher;) :eek: :eek:

Seriously, the Odessy owners bashing MDXers is ALL about jealosy. There are many people who do hate SUVs, but there are many mini-van driving suv-wannabees:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
My father-in-law has said he'd willingly trade his Odyssey for our MDX. I'd bet he's not the only one, and I doubt if you'll hear many trade wishes going the other way.

That all said, the Odyssey is a great (though not perfect) minivan, and probably the best overall of the minivans (only other one I'd consider is the Sienna).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
My wife still wants me to get an Odyssey. I do agree that it is a more spacious car and better suited for someone with lotsa kids. However, I just do not want to be a Minivan type of guy yet.... maybe, once you become a minivan guy, the jealosy creeps in ... Bash the MDX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
William-

Ouch - that was pretty low..... of course, all kidding aside - I don't think of the ML320 as underpowered - check CR's 1/4 mile and mile times. Pretty much the same as the MDX (damn that VTEC).

As far as the Odyssey vs. MDX debate - c'mon, an entire flame war over one guy who obviously couldn't buy the MDX for one reason or another? Not worth it. You'd only add credibility to his statement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Don said:
Came across some posts at the Odyclub.com website bashing the MDX for being "overpriced" and how it would be smarter to buy a Honda Odyssey instead. I found it quite amusing...
I think that getting a minivan is the smartest decision if you need the space and hauling capacity - so in that sense I agree that buying an Odyssey is smarter than buying an MDX. For some the Ody is a perfect choice. However, who wants to be smart and practical all of the time?:confused::D The MDX is the better purchase for me and I suspect nearly everyone on this board because it has many of the advantages of a minivan (not the lower price, of course) and yet is still fun to drive, semi-luxurious, better in foul weather, sportier, etc. Let them have the title of making the smartest decision, we will be happy with the better decision.:D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Not that I am in any great hurry to buy a minivan (in fact, the wife REFUSES to get one), but if Honda had an AWD for the Odyssey it would have made the MDX much more difficult to justify. Fact is, because of the hide-away third seat, there cannot be an AWD Odyssey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
JNanas said:
William-

Ouch - that was pretty low..... of course, all kidding aside - I don't think of the ML320 as underpowered - check CR's 1/4 mile and mile times. Pretty much the same as the MDX (damn that VTEC).

As far as the Odyssey vs. MDX debate - c'mon, an entire flame war over one guy who obviously couldn't buy the MDX for one reason or another? Not worth it. You'd only add credibility to his statement.
I don't know how many of you have seen the Matrix, but this is like that scene when Morpheus and Neo spar and Mouse goes and yells to everyone, "Morpheus is fighting Neo!!" and they all rush to watch the fight. :D

I guess the question is which one is Morpheus and which one is Neo?

The Odyssey is the best minivan you can buy IMHO....did you get that? MINIVAN

:rolleyes: Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Mikel said:
Not that I am in any great hurry to buy a minivan (in fact, the wife REFUSES to get one), but if Honda had an AWD for the Odyssey it would have made the MDX much more difficult to justify. Fact is, because of the hide-away third seat, there cannot be an AWD Odyssey.
Yes, it's a relatively artificial constraint because neither Toyota or Honda make AWD versions of their minivan. I'm not that hung up in the minivan image thing, and if there was an AWD Sienna or AWD Odyssey, I would have seriously considered it. They basically make the choice for us by not offering AWD minivans. I don't think Mazda sells an AWD MPV anymore. And I would not want a Chrysler minivan of any type, so that's out.

But, as you pointed out, an AWD Odyssey minivan wouldn't have one of the key features of the Odyssey. I'm not sure if it'd be relatively easy to adapt a Sienna to AWD though.

I don't buy that posted implication that traction control on the Odyssey gives you what you get with the AWD/VTM-4 in the MDX.

Can't beat access in a minivan, though. Those power sliding doors make things so much easier, especially loading kids into the second row.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Robyjo said:


I don't know how many of you have seen the Matrix, but this is like that scene when Morpheus and Neo spar and Mouse goes and yells to everyone, "Morpheus is fighting Neo!!" and they all rush to watch the fight. :D

I guess the question is which one is Morpheus and which one is Neo?
This may be a bit less exciting. Based on the number of posts, I think William would be Morpheus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
wmquan said:


Yes, it's a relatively artificial constraint because neither Toyota or Honda make AWD versions of their minivan. I'm not that hung up in the minivan image thing, and if there was an AWD Sienna or AWD Odyssey, I would have seriously considered it. They basically make the choice for us by not offering AWD minivans. I don't think Mazda sells an AWD MPV anymore. And I would not want a Chrysler minivan of any type, so that's out.

But, as you pointed out, an AWD Odyssey minivan wouldn't have one of the key features of the Odyssey. I'm not sure if it'd be relatively easy to adapt a Sienna to AWD though.
I remember Toyota did make an AWD version of Previa minivan once. And the Mazda 4WD MPV is a crap from every review I read.

Foxbat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
You know what they say, "jack of all trades and master of none". An all-wheel drive minivan still isn't an SUV and it's a poorer minivan because of the weight and complexity added by the all-wheel drive system that makes it slower and less economical. The same thing applies to SUV’s with third row seating. They’re still SUV’s and the third row is best left for kids and the vertically challenged. While the MDX and Odyssey share certain lineage, they look different, drive differently, and are targeted at two separate audiences. It's like that Mitsubishi commercial where the minivan owner is paged in the gym that "there's a tan minivan with its lights on". Would you want to own the tan minivan? I for one wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan of any make even if they made one that overcame the laws of physics. I'm not putting down minivans, but comparing an Odyssey to an MDX, especially based on price alone, doesn't make sense. What difference does it make that the Odyssey is a "better value" if you didn't want a minivan in the first place?
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top