Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got my brand new 2020 MDX a couple weeks ago. Last weekend, we did a longer trip from Los Angeles to mountains around Bishop area. This was the first time I used its navigation system. The result was quite disappointing. I feel like I must have missed something becasue the routing was so basic but MDX's navigation system could not make it right. Both my Garmin and Google Map can make it right.

Here are the photos show how MDX calculated the route. It told me to get off the Highway 168 and to go into some small street, which were narrow and impossible to drive.

After those small street, it eventually will come back to Highway 168 again:

Looking at overall map, the calculated route is more straight (shorter) to the destination but impossible to drive. After driving on the small street half way, I ended made a u-turn and go back to Highway 168 and started to use Garmin ($80) to navigate.

The setting of my navigation on MDX is "Highway Max". Do you know if there is any other settings that can correct this behavior?

·
Registered
516 Posts
You need to go into nav settings and set the nav system up for your preferences. Its not hard, but does take a bit of playing to get the settings right.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I think most people would recommend you just avoid the oem navigation and just use Android auto or carplay to utilize Google maps or waze. The oem one is horrendous.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Donn0128. Yes, I have been playing the settings again and again, but just cannot change this behavior.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Since I also have a dongle connected to my insurance if I try to use my phone My trip mamagment gets dinged.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Hi all,

I got my brand new 2020 MDX a couple weeks ago. Last weekend, we did a longer trip from Los Angeles to mountains around Bishop area. This was the first time I used its navigation system. The result was quite disappointing. I feel like I must have missed something becasue the routing was so basic but MDX's navigation system could not make it right. Both my Garmin and Google Map can make it right.

Here are the photos show how MDX calculated the route. It told me to get off the Highway 168 and to go into some small street, which were narrow and impossible to drive.
View attachment 115158

View attachment 115159

Looking at overall map, the calculated route is more straight (shorter) to the destination but impossible to drive. After driving on the small street half way, I ended made a u-turn and go back to Highway 168 and started to use Garmin ($80) to navigate.

The setting of my navigation on MDX is "Highway Max". Do you know if there is any other settings that can correct this behavior?
I have noticed this behavior for years on various GPSs. Take an exit,than get you right back on the expressway. That’s why it’s always best to have a basic knowledge of where you are going.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have found my Nav system to work quite well and as accurate as past units in Lexus, Mercedes and my F150 Platinum. Each have a bit of a learning curve. I find the best way to imput a destination is thru the app on the phone.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I usually drive with Acura Navi and Waze on my smartphone in a cupholder connected by bluetooth. It is kinda hit or miss for which works better depending on the situation. Neither is the 100% solution; but together they seem to cover me 100%. I still have the navi backup and the warning with Waze. I like the larger screen and simple Acura graphics and zoom knob on the Acura Navi compared to using iphone+carplay+acura navi knob.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have abandoned the Acura unit and use my Garmin or my phone. My 2017 won't link the phone to the car screen but after fighting the Acura one for several months I gave up, its just not worth it. It and the jerky adaptive cruise control (when compared to my Audi A6) are the only two shortcomings of my 2017 Hybrid

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife prefers the OEM one, but I definitely stick to CarPlay. I guess options are good.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi all,

View attachment 115158

View attachment 115159

As a retired pilot, I spent a bit of time learning the OEM navigation, and I find useful and accurate and have used nothing else since. It's, in fact, better than most units I find in other cars, including my BMW.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
As a retired pilot, I spent a bit of time learning the OEM navigation, and I find useful and accurate and have used nothing else since. It's, in fact, better than most units I find in other cars, including my BMW.
But but... Isn't it more like punching the destination airport into the FMC only to realize it's not in there and then you groan in annoyance as you begrudgingly enter the lat long to get to your destination?

·
Registered
156 Posts
But but... Isn't it more like punching the destination airport into the FMC only to realize it's not in there and then you groan in annoyance as you begrudgingly enter the lat long to get to your destination?

No, no it's really not, you're imagining that. In the Acura, the destinations come up, and routing is almost always fine. I wonder if the original poster has the settings done so that he's routed around a traffic jam or something like that, which takes off and back on the highway. I have those features turned off. P.S. I'm not familiar with any aviation systems that lacks any destination airports.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
No, no it's really not, you're imagining that. In the Acura, the destinations come up, and routing is almost always fine. I wonder if the original poster has the settings done so that he's routed around a traffic jam or something like that, which takes off and back on the highway. I have those features turned off. P.S. I'm not familiar with any aviation systems that lacks any destination airports.
Eh except I'm not imagining things. The quality of data is just different where you are and where i am. My area saw heavy new development in 2014-2016, but the maps still reflect pre 2013 conditions in some places and address directories are sometimes totally missing for anything built within those years.

And yes, I know aviation systems never really miss such information (at least in developed countries) thanks to heavy regulation and chart update cycles. It's just the closest thing to a car navi that we have to program a route in an aircraft.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Neoshi, I thought the OP was talking about the equipment being problematic or inadequate, not the data, which is an issue for any OEM system that's not connected to Google or something like that. When I was flying commercially we used Jeppesen plates, which were updated every two weeks. When a pile of new plates arrived in the mail, it sometimes took as much as an hour or two to install the new plates in the binders. Now with GPS we download updates. I think the post 2017 system in the MDX cars is a very good system, but I agree that the updates should be more competently done.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Yeah it's certainly a mixture of the data on the maps and also the algorithms for navigating based on the traffic data that the car gets from the HD radio on 2017+ or from subscription on 2014-2016.

One would assume it would only route OP off the freeway and back on if it there was an accident ahead that necessitated rerouting, but it does these weird routes sometimes that i don't understand because there's no traffic issue up ahead. I can only assume the background map data then has some errors like they mistakenly coded the road section as something slower than the local path, so it doesn't include it in the fastest route while on highway max setting.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah it's certainly a mixture of the data on the maps and also the algorithms for navigating based on the traffic data that the car gets from the HD radio on 2017+ or from subscription on 2014-2016.

One would assume it would only route OP off the freeway and back on if it there was an accident ahead that necessitated rerouting, but it does these weird routes sometimes that i don't understand because there's no traffic issue up ahead. I can only assume the background map data then has some errors like they mistakenly coded the road section as something slower than the local path, so it doesn't include it in the fastest route while on highway max setting.

Neoshi, my memory is that it routed around "traffic jams," not just accidents. This is why I have it turned off. When it was on, it was constantly popping up messages about jams and asking if I wanted a reroute, and if I didn't respond it changed the route, or so I think. In any case it was distracting and annoying. I hope the OP is reading this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts