Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MDX 2020 discounts on 2022 release?

10K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  jpelizza 
#1 ·
I'm currently eyeing an MDX 2020 Tech package and have been tempted to pull the trigger with the current discounts going on (I have an Acura and Honda at the moment so get conquest + loyalty - plus there are some good end of year promos). But with the 2022 coming very soon (I heard February?) is it wise to wait and miss out on the December discounts in hopes there will be severe discounting, or is it likely as good as it gets.

Right now I am seeing the MDX Tech in my area for $500 per month on a lease with no money down and all taxes/fees rolled in which is an excellent deal compared to when it came out. Does it make sense to wait or seem worth it to pull the trigger?

#2 ·
If you are planning to lease you are likely best off to pull the trigger now. The residuals will continue to drop every month effectively nullifying any additional discounts that come. That's a 30+ years in the industry guess, but still a guess. Not only do residuals drop under normal circumstances, but even more so on year old models and more again when the replacement model hits the lots.

#3 ·
Unless you roll your cars over every 2 years or so lease is a bad way to go. All your doing is renting the car for XX period of time.
But to answer the question, buy now. Best deal I ever did on a car was late on a Sunday night just before the store closed. It also happened to be the last sales day of the year.
As with any fist year roll out the 2022 MDX could be plagued with issues. Personally I will would not buy one simply because of the hideous touch pad used to control everything. IMHO it is not driver friendly at all. I know some like it, but Im old school. I like knobs and dials.

#5 ·
Unless you roll your cars over every 2 years or so lease is a bad way to go. All your doing is renting the car for XX period of time.
But to answer the question, buy now. Best deal I ever did on a car was late on a Sunday night just before the store closed. It also happened to be the last sales day of the year.
As with any fist year roll out the 2022 MDX could be plagued with issues. Personally I will would not buy one simply because of the hideous touch pad used to control everything. IMHO it is not driver friendly at all. I know some like it, but Im old school. I like knobs and dials.
We can honestly relate. We bought our MDX right at closing time of the Acura dealership. And our other vehicle was bought while it was down pouring and also at closing time at a Tampa Nissan dealership. That touchpad looks like we are going backwards in technology.

#4 ·
The market is certainly different now, but between the '13 and '14 models, the discounts really weren't massively different after the '14 hit the lots. We paid a similar amount for our '12 a year earlier as what they were selling the '13 for. One other concern you have with waiting until the last minute is that selection will be limited. If you're picky about a trim or color, there's a good chance you might not find one. The dealer we use currently only has about 90 MDX remaining which is less than half their usual inventory and it's already showing lopsided model counts...over 60 of them are base models. ~25 tech, 1 advance, 1 A-spec. I would bet by the time the '22 starts to show up in reasonable numbers there won't be any tech models left. So if you want a base then maybe you can get a slightly better deal.

#6 ·
We can honestly relate. We bought our MDX right at closing time of the Acura dealership. And our other vehicle was bought while it was down pouring and also at closing time at a Tampa Nissan dealership. That touchpad looks like we are going backwards in technology.
Appreciate the input. We are a bit picky as we weren't with our current ride (Pilot) and dislike the overall look since there were not many of that trim level on the lot. What I didn't think of is that although they may not have the trim we want come February - they may not have any trim we want since they won't be producing those MDX's any longer. I specifically want a White MDX Tech package and I feel like this is a pretty good deal right now for a lease. We are holding off on financing another car for three years to see how things look by then with changes to some 3 row SUVs. I definitely do not want the 2022 MDX because I am hesitant on a first year of a new generation - plus I dislike the trackpad I saw in other cars ( I believe Lexus has that).

I feel pretty good pulling the trigger this month but doesn't look like it will get lower than it is in my area so I'm fine with that. The only other debate was if I wanted the Pilot 2021 Touring which has some of the improvements I like but the MDX drive is just too good.

#8 ·
Both of our kids are still in child seats so they won't take advantage of the comfortable in car seating for awhile. Plus the fact that heated 2nd row is a bit of a waste. We can toss them some ipads for longer rides and we should be good to go. The MDX was very comfortable for the driver/passenger and that has to be part of the consideration for the car.

#11 ·
On MDX pricing, I purchased the 2020 Advanced, sticker was $59,275, for $50,381 plus 529 prep fee and 250 title transfer = $51,160 but then received a $1,500 credit ($500 loyalty and $1,000 not sure) down to $49,660 but sales tax of $3,949 brought it to $53,606 out the door. Was back at the dealer last week for an oil change and the $50,381 is now down to $48,990.

At the time in October it was easier to negotiate on the Advanced than the Tech package & I had to finance it or else the cost would have been higher.

Did not want to lease and I'll pay off the financing next year.

#12 ·
On MDX pricing, I purchased the 2020 Advanced, sticker was $59,275, for $50,381 plus 529 prep fee and 250 title transfer = $51,160 but then received a $1,500 credit ($500 loyalty and $1,000 not sure) down to $49,660 but sales tax of $3,949 brought it to $53,606 out the door. Was back at the dealer last week for an oil change and the $50,381 is now down to $48,990.

At the time in October it was easier to negotiate on the Advanced than the Tech package & I had to finance it or else the cost would have been higher.

Did not want to lease and I'll pay off the financing next year.
Yea I looked at the MDX SW-AWD Advance as well. It came out to $48,730 all fees / discounts included. Excellent price but I was very unsure about this package since the features included weren't things I was that into. The MDX AWD Tech package came out to $37,306. (MSRP $52,525) which was a pretty big difference. This is all with leasing which sounded great to me since I am not sure I want to own this series long term. I think the MDX 2022 looks fantastic but I am hoping the touchpad gets changed in a later release (I do dig those knobs). So perhaps Purchase a 2024 depending how it looks when the time comes.

#16 ·
We just bought a 2020 MDX SH-AWD with Advance Package and it was between $14,000 and $15,000 off. I can look at the paperwork for a more specific number if you'd like. We got $1,500 in loyalty credit as well as $5,500 Acura Financial credit (had to use Acura Financial) and the rest was the dealer discount. I got a cheaper quote from dealers in Northern Virginia but ended up being cheaper to buy it in suburban Maryland where we live because the dealers in Virginia advertise a lower price and then add on destination and a ridiculous "processing fee" which I understand is limited by Maryland law. I didn't pay the processing fee at the dealership where we bought ours because I refuse to pay them to do their job. They also made us chose between the $5,500 rebate or the 0.9%, but with our credit, the interest rate was under 3% anyway, and we ended up better off with the discount versus the APR, especially since we plan on making accelerated payments beginning in a year or two.

In the end, we really like our 2020. I think the looks of the 2022 are attractive, and while the navigation and infotainment system in the 2020 takes some getting used to, the trackpad in the 2021 RDX (to be used in the 2022 MDX) was harder to use and we like having the two screens in the 2020 MDX.

#17 ·
Picked up a 2020 MDX Sport Hybrid Technology Package yesterday.

Paid $43000+TTL including all dealer fees, dealer discounts, and incentives (5500 Acura Finance and 1500 loyalty) in Atlanta, GA. Acura financing 4% at 48 months.

I love the car and regret not buying earlier in the year when I could have possibly had more color choices and better pricing as hybrids are difficult to negotiate now because there are barely any left nationally.

#22 ·
Ok we just test drove 2020 and 2022 yesterday.. we currently have 2012 advance (will be my car soon) and my 2005 mdx just blew tranny so looking to get my wife one of the above.

we honestly wanted to like the 2022 but we both test drove them and for me the transmission in the 20 felt better plus the “feel” of the 22 went from being normal mdx feel to a bigger car feel . Plus 65k by time your all done with fees

two questions : everyonelike the bucket seat second row in 20 advance?
Also what is the dickering I’ll have to do to get 2020 advance down to 50k ish ? I’ve never had my nearest dealership act like any wiggle room ever soo...

#26 ·
Ok we just test drove 2020 and 2022 yesterday.. we currently have 2012 advance (will be my car soon) and my 2005 mdx just blew tranny so looking to get my wife one of the above.

we honestly wanted to like the 2022 but we both test drove them and for me the transmission in the 20 felt better plus the “feel” of the 22 went from being normal mdx feel to a bigger car feel . Plus 65k by time your all done with fees

two questions : everyonelike the bucket seat second row in 20 advance?
Also what is the dickering I’ll have to do to get 2020 advance down to 50k ish ? I’ve never had my nearest dealership act like any wiggle room ever soo...
I didn't have to negotiate back and forth. One dealer had the price in the window and I brought it to the dealer I work with and they matched it, plus $1,500 more in discounts. I had to finance it for the extra $1,000 but just paid it off today (see my earlier posts on the price in CT).

#23 ·
I have a 19 MDX Adv with Cpt chairs. I like the looks of the Cpt. chairs; but, prefer the functionality of a bench seat. I like how the +22 MDX solved that problem. We are empty nesters and is not a big deal 99% of the time with Cpt chairs.

#24 ·
If it came with bench probably would get that but feel like the few times we have all 3 kids with us Is few and if only one adult then our oldest can sit in front seat and other two in captain chairs...

the tech packs lack air cooled seats and I don’t really like those rims much .
The 22 did solve that bench bucket seat for sure .

22: pros ; driver seat awesome!
Felt open in front layout
Turning sharp better with suspension (my wife will never go fast enough to appreciate that)
Second row bench seat middle function
Styling is nice outside
Sterio good

cons: 10-15k more than 20
Felt like driving bigger vehicle
Transmission 10 speed liked less than 20 in 9 speed
Steering almost too light and at low speeds adjusts in non favourable way
Felt too big on back roads

20 pro: felt like mdx usually does
Super smooth driving responded nicely
10-15k less than 22
Can see driving on back roads no problem

20 cons:
Advance only offered in bucket seat second row
Older styling

if it was same price I’d probably just go with the 22 and hope my wife just felt like it was ok not too big but for 10-15k more I just don’t think I can justify it so it boils down to 20 advance which has bucket seats second row or maybe 20 aspec but that my wife’s doesn’t really like either leather choices and she would lose the heated steering wheel

#25 ·
We just bought a 2020 yesterday with the Tech package. We traded in a 2007 MDX we bought new. My wife thought she wanted the RDX after a neighbor bought one. She always thought the MDX was a bit big for her. I did the Sam's True Price online at probably 12 dealerships for the 2021 RDXThe, AWD and Advance package. There were only 2 silver ones in the whole southeast both in Houston. The loyalty discount is only good for 2010 and newer. We got a nice price of $42,260 on the RDX after the Conquest discount since I drive a 2016 Lexus GS350.

So we go to the local dealership here in New Orleans to test drive the RDX and she was not crazy about it. We check out a silver MDX on the lot and it is a couple of inches lower and also 2" narrower. I had a tape measure with me because we needed to check cargo dimensions of the RDX. She really liked the MDX so we bought it. Did not get the AWD or Advance but I think we can live with that. Did get the Tech.

So I wanted to put a bunch down and get the 0.9% and pay it off quick for almost free money. Well, they were willing to give me a lot more off if I financed it at their regular rate of 5.5%. Doing the math, paying it off in 18 months got me $3,000 more off and cost me around $700 more interest.

List a little over $50K and paid a little over $42K. Probably could have done better using my Sam's True Price process all over the southeast but figure that's good enough. Two more points and I will shut up! The new 2022 MDX with AWD and Advance is pushing $65K. We paid $46K for the 2007 MDX!

Jim

#30 ·
I like the captains chairs a lot. Had them on both the 17 and now the 20. We are empty nesters as well and since not having our son and his friends & cousins in the MDX, only once have we had more than four people in the car. Also like the additional storage in rear seat console.

#32 ·
Decided on 2020 new (first new car!), white aspec with black interior..., also added heated steering as that not stock of course...
Had to go 3 hrs away to get it my local dealer couldn’t beat price I got or even get what we wanted... paid $46,637 plus tax... happy with price saved about $13,000 off equally what 2022 would of been !

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.