Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently in market for 2017 MDX. Seems few of the Acura dealers have already got delivery of first batch of 2017 MDX.

Starting this thread so that folks who are considering 2017 MDX will get know the test driving experience of others. And also what kind of deals are available from dealers.

I have gone through most of the threads related to issues/complains about 2016 from owners, it would be nice to know how 2017 MDX performs for following factors :

1) Tranny (most noted complain from 2016 owners) :
How does the shifting of 9Speed ZF transmission feel in 2017. For 2016 model, people had complains about lurching, slow shifting etc at slow speed. Though most of the owners acknowledged that tranny problems resolved after the firmware update.
(Since most owners started noticing these issues only after driving for a while, hopefully if any issues are surfaced during test drive itself).

2) Infotainment system:
There have been few complaints about infotainment system being laggy sometimes, hanging in operation, controls stopped working etc.
It would be nice to know of how it feels in 2017.
- Touch screen
- Sound quality
- Navigation
- IPhone Siri connectivity and operation
- bluetooth connectivity and operation

3) Suspension noise :
There have been few complaints about suspension noise in 2016 on rough roads. It would be nice to know if any such problems identified during test drive.

4) Overall build quality:
Few folks have complained about degradation in build quality. No perfect matching of fenders, hood, low quality paint in few sections, random noises from inside dash etc.
Good to check for such issues and update it here after test drive.

5) Overall driving experience. May be out of 10 ?
This would definitely vary person to person and based on personal preferences. But still it would be good know what others think of the overall score for 2017 MDX.

6) Any special Deals they got from dealers.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah I thought this was a review.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you're asking this as a question, not "I have experience" ?

Might want to update the title.
Intention was to collect test drive experiences from others and idea being I too would update my soon once I get a chance to take a Test drive.

Didn't realize that title might confuse as thought as people start adding their experiences, the title makes sense.

I couldn't find an option to update the title. Probably will have to start new thread with updated title and close out this one?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Im not sure why random opinions on a forum are important to you. Test drive it yourself and make up your own mind would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure why random opinions on a forum are important to you. Test drive it yourself and make up your own mind would be my suggestion.
I don't need opinions to decide if I like the car or not. I will know that once I drive it. The test drive experience will be useful if ppl spot any generic issues with this model that I might miss during test drive.

·
Registered
661 Posts
now I'm really confused. if you're looking for others' opinions then...

I don't need opinions to decide if I like the car or not. I will know that once I drive it. The test drive experience will be useful if ppl spot any generic issues with this model that I might miss during test drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Test drove Lexus RX350, Audi Q7 2017, Mazda CX9 2016 and finally MDX 2017(AWD + Tech), in same day.
Following are my personal impressions about test driving experience and YMMV, so no need to start a war here.
After comments on this thread not sure if these would be helpful for potential buyers or not, but just in case it helps anyone.
Atleast since I started this thread, I owe this update. Folks feel free to close/ignore this thread.

# Driving dynamics and Performance:
- Q7 was undoubtedly the best. Smooth, powerful and amazing driving experience.
- CX9 comes 2nd best. Low RPM turbo boost works really well and seems its tuned well enough for most common driving conditions.
- I had test driven MDX 2016 last year and had found it interesting. Sport Mode acceleration also was better.
Not sure if its because I test drove Q7 and CX9 just before MDX or its something else, but 2017 MDX seems very much lacking in acceleration(even in sports mode) and overall very boring to drive.
- Lexus is pretty boring too, in terms of driving dynamics.

# Interiors
- Again Q7 is too much nice in terms of quality of interior and its infotainment system. But again you are paying so much price for it too.
- CX9 comes 2nd best here with pretty nice quality upholstery and nice infotainment system. It seems waaaayyyy better than MDX.
- Lexus interior is comparable to CX9, but I found CX9 interior better.
- MDX comes last here, as compared to above cars, MDX interior seems so inferior. No soft touch material on dash or side. Overall you don't get that luxurious feel at all.
Even its Infotainment system seems so old and slow compared to CX9 or Q7's . Acura really needs to improve interior quality and upgrade its infotainment system. After all, CX9 with almost 5-6k less, comes with far better interiors.

####
Overall it seems I am going to give MDX a pass. I don't think its really worth spending 52K+ for what MDX currently is. The only reason why I see ppl might go for it is, its apparent reliability(again consumer reports and such forums are full of build quality complaints about MDX) and spacious interior and that typical Honda less cost-of-ownership.
I would say please give CX9 a try, it seems way better than MDX in all attributes.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I will NEVER choose to buy an Audi.. German cars = Not known for their reliability.. Now if you are LEASING? Then go ahead... The Q7 is the BEST Leasing Option.
Are you BUYING? do not even think about it, get the MDX as Build Quality < Reliability

Reactions: arawok

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dropped by Mazda dealer about 4 days ago when I saw 3 new CX9's parked out front and was super interested to see in the flesh.

1. Exterior in person, very nice from most angles
  2. Wheels, paint, overall scale seemed well balanced, albeit larger than MDX (appearance)
  3. Interior look, materials and finish seemed very nice, well above previous and entering luxury levels IMO.
  4. Infotainment (5min test-play) seemed quick, intuitive and feature rich compared to MDX. But until using in real life, best guess only.
  5. Seats.......the deal killer for me.....too short in the seat area, not large enough and too flat of a bottom, not enough angle adjustment. Was really disappointed....if the seats were much better, I would have absolutely considered this as a next car.
  6. Driving impression.......the seats were enough that when offered to drive I said no thanks, would not buy one, so why bother.
  7. I looked at both the GT and the top of the line model with brown interior and wood console.....hate the brown, gimme black on black any day.

I have no doubt in my mind that Mazda has a real gem with the new CX9, appears to be very well made and has a more ominous and aggressive look and overall great value.

The seat thing is a pet peeve of mine and I'm picky about this.......really like the step-up Hyundai Genesis seats.....why can others not mimic this????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dropped by Mazda dealer about 4 days ago when I saw 3 new CX9's parked out front and was super interested to see in the flesh.

1. Seats.......the deal killer for me.....too short in the seat area, not large enough and too flat of a bottom, not enough angle adjustment. Was really disappointed....if the seats were much better, I would have absolutely considered this as a next car.
  2. Driving impression.......the seats were enough that when offered to drive I said no thanks, would not buy one, so why bother.
The seat thing is a pet peeve of mine and I'm picky about this.......really like the step-up Hyundai Genesis seats.....why can others not mimic this????
Totally agree about the seats. Short seat area was one of the biggest reasons why I am not going with CX9. By the end of test drive I could already feel my wide shoulders kinda feeling the pain due to seats not being wide enough.
Also CX9 rear view camera guide lines are not dynamic, which was a turn off.
Secondly the front and rear lights are too small for my taste.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own a 2015 MDX and have been a Mazda fan. I have owned two Mazda's bought brand new and really like Mazda as a brand.

I test drove the new CX9 and looked very closely at the GSL, the GT and Signature models.
I can tell you all without doubt that the experience between the CX9 and MDX is not even close. I would not be satisfied with having a CX9 as a replacement for my MDX. (If you own a 3rd gen MDX ask yourself this question when you test drive a CX9 or look at every feature it offers). That being said here are my views.

1. The drive: While the CX9 does have 310hp torque I still felt it was underpowered compared to the MDX. Pulling away from standstill in the MDX felt faster (and the 0 to 60 times prove this). The sound that the CX9 makes sounds so awful compared to the MDX. The CX9 engine sounded like it was being thrashed.

2. The steering feel: The CX9 does not adaptive steering that you can change at will like the IDS in the MDX. Your steering feel is basically always the same (except for the variable powersteering that kicks in when you are driving fast). The sport button on the CX9 does not affect the suspension or steering. It basically only raises the shift points and keeps the car in a higher RPM range (at the cost of a louder engine which is not so nice to the ears). The MDX IDS is absolutely brilliant (at least compared to the CX9).
While on the topic of the steering, the heated steering on the Cx9 does not get as warm as that on the MDX. I even commented on this on my drive with the salesman. His response was "oh if it gets too warm the glue might come off". lol.
The volume controls on the MDX steering wheel are also easier due to the scroll wheel nature. I love that scrolling feature.

3. The Seats: There is really no comparison here. As others have said the base is too short, does not raise both from and back of the seats. The heated seat does not get as warm again as the mdx seats. No cooled seats. The second row seats have no heated seats feature. It would be harder for kids to flip the middle seats to get to the back row. The location of the flip handle is at the top of the seat where it would be tough for a child to reach and even when pulled requires significant effort to move the seats forward. In the MDX you just push a bottom located right at the bottom of the seat and the seat slides forward. A four year old could do it.
The CX9 does have more room in the third row seats and I think would be a better 7 passenger SUV when full with people.

4. Transmission: As I own a 2015 MDX my comparison is between the two 6speed autos. I still prefer the MDX 6 speed transmission to the CX9 one. However, I would definitely pick the CX9 6 speed tranny to the horrible 9 speed in the 2016-2017 MDX. I still dont like the sport mode in the CX9 though. You really cannot drive around all the time in that mode in the CX9 (at least I couldnt), but the MDX sport mode is definitely a mode you can use all the time.

5. Suspension: CX9 does not have adjustable suspension. The mode you are in does not affect the suspension.

6. Entertainment:I primarily use and love the MDX feature with the HDD and the auto CD rip to HDD when you pop in a CD. I used to belong to a music group and received a new CD every month of the year. So you can imagine how many CDs I have in a few years of membership (not counting the additional disks I bought). I just pop in a CD in the mdx and it is ripped to the HDD.
The CX9 does not have this feature.
I also love the vertically placed location controller on the MDX versus the vertically placed (close to cup holders) remote controller of the CX9. All it would take is one coffee spill to get sticky keys on that controller and volume control.

7. Trunk Area. The CX9 has the spare tire in the trunk vs. under the care in the MDX. I like that. Dont have to deal with a dirty spare tire that has been collecting mud when you need to change a wheel.
The mdx hidden compartment is more usable though. You can open it up and stand two suit cases side by side behind the third row. I am not sure you can do this in the CX9. I also like that the hidden compartment door stays open in any location you leave it. The CX9 one does not.

Overall it might sound like I am knocking the CX9, but I am not. I would absolutely buy one and I am currently considering replacing my current Mazda with the new CX9.
However, it is definitely not a replacement for the MDX. Not even close.

My 2 cents.

Test drove Lexus RX350, Audi Q7 2017, Mazda CX9 2016 and finally MDX 2017(AWD + Tech), in same day.
Following are my personal impressions about test driving experience and YMMV, so no need to start a war here.
After comments on this thread not sure if these would be helpful for potential buyers or not, but just in case it helps anyone.
Atleast since I started this thread, I owe this update. Folks feel free to close/ignore this thread.

# Driving dynamics and Performance:
- Q7 was undoubtedly the best. Smooth, powerful and amazing driving experience.
- CX9 comes 2nd best. Low RPM turbo boost works really well and seems its tuned well enough for most common driving conditions.
- I had test driven MDX 2016 last year and had found it interesting. Sport Mode acceleration also was better.
Not sure if its because I test drove Q7 and CX9 just before MDX or its something else, but 2017 MDX seems very much lacking in acceleration(even in sports mode) and overall very boring to drive.
- Lexus is pretty boring too, in terms of driving dynamics.

# Interiors
- Again Q7 is too much nice in terms of quality of interior and its infotainment system. But again you are paying so much price for it too.
- CX9 comes 2nd best here with pretty nice quality upholstery and nice infotainment system. It seems waaaayyyy better than MDX.
- Lexus interior is comparable to CX9, but I found CX9 interior better.
- MDX comes last here, as compared to above cars, MDX interior seems so inferior. No soft touch material on dash or side. Overall you don't get that luxurious feel at all.
Even its Infotainment system seems so old and slow compared to CX9 or Q7's . Acura really needs to improve interior quality and upgrade its infotainment system. After all, CX9 with almost 5-6k less, comes with far better interiors.

####
Overall it seems I am going to give MDX a pass. I don't think its really worth spending 52K+ for what MDX currently is. The only reason why I see ppl might go for it is, its apparent reliability(again consumer reports and such forums are full of build quality complaints about MDX) and spacious interior and that typical Honda less cost-of-ownership.
I would say please give CX9 a try, it seems way better than MDX in all attributes.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I looked at the CX9 and I'm giving it a pass because it doesn't have some features I really want such as ventilated seats. I live in Las Vegas in the summertime and ventilated seats -- or better yet actually cooled seats -- are a big plus.

I also looked at the Q7, but I'm giving it a pass because of the huge clear glass panoramic sunroof. In Las Vegas in the summertime, the LAST thing I want is a huge glass sunroof. The sales guy told me there was no way to delete the sunroof on the 17, although previous model year Q7s could have it deleted.

I concur the MDX needs some extra power - especially in the 40 to 70 range such as accelerating on a freeway onramp or passing a slower car on a rural 2-lane road. An extra 50 HP would make a world of difference. Even the 9 speed transmission doesn't seem to help in this regard: yes, it kicks down to a lower gear, but there is not enough oooomph to accelerate the weight of the vehicle.

In my case, we are a 2 AWD SUV family, as we spend the winter in Park City UT where we can easily get 300 inches of snow in town (500 on the ski slopes). We have a 2016 MDX SH-AWD for my wife that we picked up November 2015, replacing her aging ZDX. I have an aging 2005 Dodge Durango AWD with a Hemi, and I've been thinking about getting a 2017 MDX SH-AWD to replace it. I'll probably wait until the Sport Hybrid is available so I can check it out.

Comparing the MDX to our prior ZDX, the ZDX was definitely smoother in the seat-of-the-pants department. I never got stuck with either the ZDX in the past or the MDX this past winter, but it is not as capable as my AWD Durango in the snow. There is a bit too much sliding around in the ZDX/MDX compared to my old Durango. I keep all-season tires on my Durango. This coming winter, I'm going to put snow tires on the MDX. If I like the Sport Hybrid's performance, I'll try to buy one prior to ski season.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I concur the MDX needs some extra power - especially in the 40 to 70 range such as accelerating on a freeway onramp or passing a slower car on a rural 2-lane road. An extra 50 HP would make a world of difference. Even the 9 speed transmission doesn't seem to help in this regard: yes, it kicks down to a lower gear, but there is not enough oooomph to accelerate the weight of the vehicle.
Are you pushing the pedal to the floor? The MDX is one of the fastest 3 row SUV's you can buy, certainly the fastest 50k one. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is impressive for this vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will NEVER choose to buy an Audi.. German cars = Not known for their reliability.. Now if you are LEASING? Then go ahead... The Q7 is the BEST Leasing Option.
Are you BUYING? do not even think about it, get the MDX as Build Quality < Reliability
I owned a 2011 BMW X5 and that thing was a nightmare. Too many glitches/errors from the computer about the engine not working properly. THe worst was the rear drive axle fell off while the vehicle was in motion. After that, I was DONE!! That was my 1st BMW and last. :headshake

·
Registered
237 Posts
Are you pushing the pedal to the floor? The MDX is one of the fastest 3 row SUV's you can buy, certainly the fastest 50k one. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is impressive for this vehicle.
I would like to see anyone get 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, and 1 single online review is not proof enough.

I say add approx 1 second and that's more realistic, and still very quick for what it is.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would like to see anyone get 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, and 1 single online review is not proof enough.

I say add approx 1 second and that's more realistic, and still very quick for what it is.
I would say if you disagree with the quoted spec you should bear the burden of proof. Show us a review where it got a 0-60 in 6.5 seconds if you believe that's what it does.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts