Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I purchased the 2016 MDX couple of days ago. While test driving, I didnt feel any transmission jerk or lag but after bringing it home, I am feeling lots of jerks and lags. I have read in some other posts about some software update. Will this fix this transmission issue? please help.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,469 Posts
Hi All,
I purchased the 2016 MDX couple of days ago. While test driving, I didnt feel any transmission jerk or lag but after bringing it home, I am feeling lots of jerks and lags. I have read in some other posts about some software update. Will this fix this transmission issue? please help.
Yes, TSB 20-015. However, I believe you will have to pay for this update since it looks like you are out of warranty. You will feel a jerk or two in the 500 mile learning period, but after that, its super smooth.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
I am considering a CPO 2016 MDX Advance priced around 26k with 45k miles on it. What do you think? Is 2016 reliable enough to buy?
Hoping a CPO warranty will take care of any issues in the near term.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am considering a CPO 2016 MDX Advance priced around 26k with 45k miles on it. What do you think? Is 2016 reliable enough to buy?
Hoping a CPO warranty will take care of any issues in the near term.
I would suggest you skip 2016. It seems later years are better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Overall I am happy with my 2016 MDX Advance. The vehicle was diligently serviced at Acura dealership by the previous owner and the visual condition and engine feel was like a brand new car when I bought with 115K miles on the odo in 3-4 years of previous ownership.

The transmission did feel odd and was a bit jerky when I bought it. I did transmission fluid change and the level of the previous fluid that came out was about a few ounces off. I filled in exactly what's recommended and the transmission is pretty smooth now. The car now has about 125K miles on it. I think front right shock might be beginning to wear out and I am exploring the DIY on that.

Overall pretty happy with the purchase and will do it again!

That's a good deal you are getting. Take it.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
I am not finding a low mileage 2015s in my area and don't want to spend 30k+ for later models since I don't think I can live with ZF9 in long-term. So looking at a CPO 2016 until 2022 model stabilizes.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,469 Posts
I am not finding a low mileage 2015s in my area and don't want to spend 30k+ for later models since I don't think I can live with ZF9 in long-term. So looking at a CPO 2016 until 2022 model stabilizes.
Dude, you can get a 2017 in the $20k range. And the ZF isn't that bad at all. If anything, its way better than the Nissan garbage transmission (Jatco CVT). Just make sure you get the TSB done if you get a 2016 to 2020 MDX. The 2016 is literally the FMY on the MDX to get the ZF 9spd, and I'd just stay away from the 16 personally just because of that specific reason alone. Your best bet is to get a 2017 that still has some factory warranty remaining plus the added CPO warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
I ended up getting a CPO 2016 ADV with 63k miles. No transmission issue at all. Only one issue is that the Auto climate control button led is not lighting up but climate control works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can go
I ended up getting a CPO 2016 ADV with 63k miles. No transmission issue at all. Only one issue is that the Auto climate control button led is not lighting up but climate control works.
Congratulations! Is the transmission smooth?

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
You can go

Congratulations! Is the transmission smooth?
I hated it when I test drove by a 2020 mdx, but like many on this forum said, I did not notice any issue with the one I purchased.
I drove a much younger 2016 with only 40k miles, that was bad and poorly maintained.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,469 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Nobody will ever know its a 2016 without looking at that transmission gear selector! 😂

·
Registered
Acura MDX 2015 Tech.
36 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I face the same issue with with auto climate control button light. I got 2015 advance, any fix you found anywhere regarding the issue???

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I face the same issue with with auto climate control button light. I got 2015 advance, any fix you found anywhere regarding the issue???
Not yet. Plan to address it when I see the dealership for a different cosmetic issue.

Guessing it could be just that Auto led may be broken.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,469 Posts
Not yet. Plan to address it when I see the dealership for a different cosmetic issue.

Guessing it could be just that Auto led may be broken.
If the Auto LED button might be burned, usually you might have to end up replacing the entire HCU since its not worth the hassle to go into that small area to replace an extreme small bulb.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
Should this have been picked up on the CPO inspection?
Absolutely. There is a check mark on one of the CPO inspection items "All indicators illuminate ON position". Waiting to hear from the dealership at this time, I hope they will take care of the issue.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
440 Posts
If the Auto LED button might be burned, usually you might have to end up replacing the entire HCU since its not worth the hassle to go into that small area to replace an extreme small bulb.
Agree. HCU is around $220 and it should not take more than a hour to replace. Not sure if CPO warranty covers issues of this sort.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,469 Posts
Agree. HCU is around $220 and it should not take more than a hour to replace. Not sure if CPO warranty covers issues of this sort.
Did you read the fine print of the CPO warranty to see what it covers and does not cover?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts