Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're in the market for a used MDX and have been looking at 2015 & 2014 models. We are looking for FWD and Tech packages with no more than 50k mileage. We have 2 small children and most of our driving is in the LA area with no off-road or other special needs, and are upgrading from a solid, but now too cramped Toyota Matrix.

There appear to be lots and lots of 2015's here in Southern California, but not many 2014's and the older older models are not much cheaper - maybe $1-2K less with similar mileage. Any idea why?

There appear to be good deals on 2015's, some prices below recommended Edumunds and KBB. Any tips on bargaining? Are Acura Certified cars worth the extra cash? Particularly with 2015s with 40-45K+ mileage? Or should we go with an aftermarket warranty?

Will the arrival of 2019 MDX's push market prices down further? We want to buy around June in time for a July road trip.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Aftermarket warranties are a mixed bag. MOST are completely worthless, imo. I'd skip them.

CPO can provide some value, and I'd suggest trying for a CPO, first. Only an Acura dealer can sell CPO, and sometimes you pay a bit of a premium -- but Acura is more likely to have a good selection of good vehicles, compared to other used car lots.

Don't expect the 2019 to bring any substantial changes. It's still the "3rd gen" and styling will be same as 2017-2018 models. There will be a new "A-Spec" package that will probably be popular, but I doubt it will affect the used market, at all.

·
Registered
713 Posts
2014 & 2015 have the six speed which has been a good value. The cost of the transmission oil changes on some of the later 9 speed models will choke a horse. I'd try to find a CPO with around 25,000 to 35,000 miles so you have some life on the warranty to work out anything that might be wrong. Look at the car fax to see where the car is from. Lots of salt state and flood cars out there still - an owner can cruise thru 6' - 8" of salt water on a lease and turn it in unnoticed only for the next owner to deal with the rust. Be sure to look under it too. Most are pretty clean but we saw one from FL that had lots of rust and mold on it. We are in NorCal so lots of folks would not think to look. Be sure you like the ride - my 2014 and 2015 MDX's remind me of my old CJ7 they are so hard on bumps. Freeway ride is fine but freeways here are pretty smooth compared to some of the boulevards, 2015 has I think better navigation than the 2014.

As for dealing with a dealer - just do your homework and know your price. Walk away if you don't feel what is being offered is right. If you are financing pay attention to the interest rate and be sure it is market because the dealer can make money by financing at a rate higher than market. Also watch any aftermarket items. I intentionally purchased an extended ACURA CPO warranty to 100,000 miles and 84 months. If you do that do not get anything but the genuine ACURA CPO extension. It can only be added at purchase by the dealer who sells and certifies the car. It is a bumper to bumper warranty other than wear items. The other company warranties are just extensions of the power train warranty which is already pretty well covered by the basic CPO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts