Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine my surprise when I went to wash my Acura MDX the other day, a gentle wipe with a wet sponge on the roof saw a large section of the paintwork simply come away with the wet sponge. Totally unbelievable! I wasn't even pressing hard.

I am waiting to hear if Honda/Acura will cover this for me.

See my pics:

Gentlemen... two words come to mind "gar-bage".

·
Registered
373 Posts
Theres a good ol TSB for that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
575 Posts
Known issue with the pearl white paint on early Acuras. They should take care of it for you

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Looks like a factory defect to me. They should cover it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement, I am waiting to hear a response from Acura. I'll be sure to let everyone know.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had to have mine repainted as well. Paint was totally fine for 4 years and then all of a sudden it started peeling off.

Apparently it has something to do with the prep before painting on a series of Diamond White Pearl vehicles.

Mine wasn’t as bad as yours and they still covered it. Quite sure yours will be too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to have mine repainted as well. Paint was totally fine for 4 years and then all of a sudden it started peeling off.

Apparently it has something to do with the prep before painting on a series of Diamond White Pearl vehicles.

Mine wasn’t as bad as yours and they still covered it. Quite sure yours will be too.

Yes but I think the fix will be exactly the same, I'm sure that they'll have to repaint the entire roof which is a serious bummer. I read their TSB, the fix involves removing the tailgate, windshield, antenna, sunroof and much much more.

Yes I am seriously bummed! It's really not what I expect in a $50K+ vehicle at just five years young.

Anyway I am still waiting to hear a response from them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes!

That doesn't even look like car paint, I've never seen it chip that way. Acura should cover this.
I have never seen anything like this before. My car was dirty and I just wiped the roof with a wet soapy sponge ... there was a soft cracking sound like the breaking of very thin ice and a huge slab of white paint came away on the sponge.

I couldn't believe it... I thought I was imagining it, sadly I wasn't.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They did prepare and repaint the entire roof. They didn’t need to remove the windshield, they had a special tape that held back the moulding. The roof rails and crossbars were removed for the process. Nothing regarding the tail lights or rear spoiler.

The explanation the body shop gave me was that it usually starts with a small rock dent in the paint of the roof just behind the windshield. This allows moisture and the elements to begin to get under the paint. Then, after enough time, the paint begins to separate from the surface as a result of an error during prep. He told me Acura is not the only vehicle manufacturer he has seen this with. And not always on the roof either.

I actually convinced them to repaint my roof black! And I paid the extra for the spoiler. I’m quite pleased with the look!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They did prepare and repaint the entire roof. They didn’t need to remove the windshield, they had a special tape that held back the moulding. The roof rails and crossbars were removed for the process. Nothing regarding the tail lights or rear spoiler.

The explanation the body shop gave me was that it usually starts with a small rock dent in the paint of the roof just behind the windshield. This allows moisture and the elements to begin to get under the paint. Then, after enough time, the paint begins to separate from the surface as a result of an error during prep. He told me Acura is not the only vehicle manufacturer he has seen this with. And not always on the roof either.

I actually convinced them to repaint my roof black! And I paid the extra for the spoiler. I’m quite pleased with the look!!!

Good to know. Personally I'll settle for the original white, we live in California which is why we chose white to begin with, it's slightly cooler inside in the summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Known issue with the pearl white paint on early Acuras. They should take care of it for you
So some good news today.

I took my car to the Acura dealership this morning after chatting with their service manager on the phone.

They took some photographs of the damage and they let me know that this paintwork will be repaired by Acura under the warranty. Phew!

Nice to know since this is clearly the result of a factory paint application error. So ... I'm left wondering how many other Pearl White MDX owners have a "surprise" waiting for them? It's really a ticking time bomb... IMHO it is not a case of IF this will occur but rather a case of WHEN.

It would have been far nicer to have been notified in advance by Acura as they have done with a couple of other known issues. Just saying.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I actually got a notice in the mail from Acura letting me know that the warranty coverage had been extended for the roof. But at the time, I didn’t have any paint peeling at all. I don’t actually remember when it came out but it was quite a while before I actually had the issue show up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, I am waiting to hear a response from Acura. I'll be sure to let everyone know.
What year model is your MDX?

I have a 2019 MDX in the Pearl White paint. Since I live in Texas, I chose the white as it is a little cooler than other colors. I hope that I don't have this problem develop. But if it does, it is good to know that Acura is recognizing it and repairing these vehicles.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
What year model is your MDX?

I have a 2019 MDX in the Pearl White paint. Since I live in Texas, I chose the white as it is a little cooler than other colors. I hope that I don't have this problem develop. But if it does, it is good to know that Acura is recognizing it and repairing these vehicles.
This should affects 2014~2016 models only.

·
Registered
2017 MDX - Base
2 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen on our Honda Odyssey. That TSB included the roof and lift gate. Hopefully no issues on our MDX.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car is in the shop currently. It is a Pearl White 2015 MDX SH-AWD.

It should be a week but I'll try to post an image of the final repair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts