Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is rather strange. The Remote has battery and works (red light comes on for the remote when pressing buttons).

My car has been parked for about 3 weeks, and now maybe the battery is dead. However the curious part is that I can't use the physical key (from the remote FOB) to open the driver's door.
It does nothing. It goes in about 1/3 of the key length and I turn it right (which it turns maybe 45 degrees) but it doesn't do anything?

Anybody have any clues?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
This is rather strange. The Remote has battery and works (red light comes on for the remote when pressing buttons).

My car has been parked for about 3 weeks, and now maybe the battery is dead. However the curious part is that I can't use the physical key (from the remote FOB) to open the driver's door.
It does nothing. It goes in about 1/3 of the key length and I turn it right (which it turns maybe 45 degrees) but it doesn't do anything?

Anybody have any clues?

Thanks
Did you buy the car used? Have you tried the other FOB? The original owner may have lost the original FOB and bought one on eBay or something. Have you tried turning the key to the left?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you buy the car used? Have you tried the other FOB? The original owner may have lost the original FOB and bought one on eBay or something. Have you tried turning the key to the left?
So the car is new - 1st owner. I tried the other FOB as well - same issue. On the driver's side, I turned the physical key right by about 45 degrees. Left didn't seem to turn easily so I wasn't sure (didn't want to break the key). Which way is it supposed to turn to open the drivers side (clockwise or anticlockwise)? Also, they key only went in only about 1/3 or so - is that normal? Thanks

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The handle of the key points down. Turn to the right to unlock. if that doesn’t work, the dealer probably lost the original FOBS. Programmed 2 new FOBS and never bothered to to cut the hardware keys. You need to go back to the dealer. I know it’s hard right now. But you need to contact the dealer. Probably be towed in and get them to make it right. They may have a master key.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Also, even with the mechanical key,it’s still electronic. I used the key and mirrors unfolded. I don’t know happens when the battery is dead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for checking. The key won't turn counterclockwise even a little bit. It turns clockwise but nothing happens
I tried the physical key from the backup FOB. It does turn both clockwise and counterclockwise but nothing happens. (the original key fob physical key only turns right).

·
Registered
135 Posts
when was the last time you used the key successfully? If it has been years, and you haven't used good lock lube the lock may be frozen. It's a more and more common problem with cars with remote fobs. Locks never get used till the fob battery is dead, and in the meantime the lock has frozen.

My solution is to use the key at least every 3 or 4months along with a little lock lube. Hint do NOT use WD-40!! triflow is what many locksmiths use and what I use. A little on the key then lock and unlock the car a few times.

My suggestion is to spray a bit of triflow into the lock and some on the key and give it a try. If that doesn't work, let it set overnight.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also, even with the mechanical key,it’s still electronic. I used the key and mirrors unfolded. I don’t know happens when the battery is dead.
If the acura key requires a charged battery it is the ONLY car I've ever encountered that is that way. I've had many cars with remote fobs and in EVERY case the door key is stricktly mechanical for the lock/unlock function. The mechanical key often also invokes other functions but the lock and unlock is strictly mechanical. So, either the lock is frozen, or a wrong key, or a broken mechanical lock arm from the key to the door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If the acura key requires a charged battery it is the ONLY car I've ever encountered that is that way. I've had many cars with remote fobs and in EVERY case the door key is stricktly mechanical for the lock/unlock function. The mechanical key often also invokes other functions but the lock and unlock is strictly mechanical. So, either the lock is frozen, or a wrong key, or a broken mechanical lock arm from the key to the door.
That's very helpful. I will get some Triflow and try it out (thought would be strange for the lock to be Frozen in California temperature). I have used the key but not in probably the last year. Interestingly, the lights inside the car and the light below the side mirrors came on earlier (when I passed by the car earlier) before they all finally gave out.

Could the AAA or the Acura Service be of any help?

The battery is only < 1 year old so does it seem odd that it would just go out in a short time. I mean my other car is Honda CRV and we didn't start the car for the same time but no issues there. Could it be someone tried to break in - that could be causing these issues?

Thanks for the all the answers

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
That's very helpful. I will get some Triflow and try it out (thought would be strange for the lock to be Frozen in California temperature). I have used the key but not in probably the last year. Interestingly, the lights inside the car and the light below the side mirrors came on earlier (when I passed by the car earlier) before they all finally gave out.

Thanks for the all the answers
Frozen as in not able to move. Not cold frozen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts