Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the inner tail light on the tailgate of my 2014 MDX is cracked, and I want to replace it. I bought a replacement but couldn't figure out how to remove it properly. I did a lot of research but only found instruction for removing the outer tail light. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Manera might have a manual for this if you're looking to replace with a junkyard part. It looks like from the parts diagrams that you'll probably need to pull the interior trim off the tailgate to access the bolts that secure it to remove them.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-parts/2014/acura/mdx/tech-sh-awd-trim/6-speed-automatic-engine/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/taillight-license-light-scat

Ok, looked into a bit more, there should be two panels (parts 1 and 6) on the tailgate interior trim, pop those open, see if you can see the .. think it's a nut.. that secures the lamp:
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-parts/2014/acura/mdx/tech-sh-awd-trim/6-speed-automatic-engine/interior-bumper-cat/tailgate-lining-scat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're LED. Warranty replacement in normal failure, but in this case, you're going to have to pay for it or claim it from whatever/whoever damaged it.
I don't think Acura will honor the warranty due to the crack. I already got a replacement and just need to know how to remove the existing light

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Yeah haha I forgot about that part and the fact that you bought a part already when I posted. Edited to get straight to the parts diagrams instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah haha I forgot about that part and the fact that you bought a part already when I posted. Edited to get straight to the parts diagrams instead.
Thanks for the links. I did open 1 and 6 but the space was too small. I probably have to remove the whole trim to gain access. I was just wondering if there is another way to do it.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Thanks for the links. I did open 1 and 6 but the space was too small. I probably have to remove the whole trim to gain access. I was just wondering if there is another way to do it.
Ah hmm yeah I think that the entire lower tailgate trim will have to come off like you said. Then it should be 3 bolts and a nut per light. I'm that they at least used a bulb instead of LEDs on a board. Fixable and cheap this way at least.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any chance you have instructions on how to remove the interior trim panel that covers up the tailgate lights? Not sure if you fixed your tail light issue.

I have a 2014 MDX with an out light that I believe is LED.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any chance you have instructions on how to remove the interior trim panel that covers up the tailgate lights? Not sure if you fixed your tail light issue.

I have a 2014 MDX with an out light that I believe is LED.
Yeah I would also greatly appreciate some more information on this.

I see the OP hasn’t logged in for 1+ year so not sure if he is still around but maybe someone else has done this.

My mechanic said he can do it (just by taking a visual look) but the guy who tried yesterday (at a different shop) couldn’t get it out and said the silver trim panel on the outside would first need to be taken out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anyone has more info on how to replace the rear tailgate light, any help would be appreciated. I got a small crack and need to replace the left one :(

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
maybe this may help?
No, I believe they want to replace the part of the tail light housing that is on the tailgate... Both of those videos do not address that piece.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So the inner tail light on the tailgate of my 2014 MDX is cracked, and I want to replace it. I bought a replacement but couldn't figure out how to remove it properly. I did a lot of research but only found instruction for removing the outer tail light. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Looks like i am missing the instructions for the Inner Taillight removal/install instructions.

What i do have is what's attached. The way to get to the inner taillight will require the interior trim to come out. so with this information in hand, it should guide you towards removing the inner taillight.

ive also added outside taillight as a bonus. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The inner taillight (left) on the liftgate of my wife's 2015 MDX had failed so I ordered a new one from acurapartsforless. I searched the Internet for Acura / Honda parts suppliers with free shipping and was unable to find any. I paid $132 for this part including shipping. eBay had a couple that weren't in great shape so I just bought a new one. My local dealer wanted $175 plus shipping.

I did manage to video putting everything back together, but not taking it a part. If I have time I'll try and put the video on YouTube. In summary, in order to remove the inner liftgate taillight the chrome trim that runs above the license plate needs to come off and in order to get that off you must remove the 4 trim pieces on the inside of the tailgate. If you don't have a trim removal tool set I suggest getting one from Amazon, it will make the job easier. You start by removing the top trim piece, the one below the 3rd taillight. Using the trim removal tool slide it between the trim and sheet metal and gently pry and it will pop off. Next, you remove the 2 side trim pieces by pulling them inward. Finally, the hardest part is the large trim piece that is basically covering access to the taillight nuts and the external chrome trim nuts. That piece also has 3 electrical connections, 2 for the lights and one for the electric liftgate button. First you have to remove the 2 black trim clips on each side of the trim by inserting a screw driver into the slot and prying upward and then you can pull the 2 piece clip out. Now continue by prying the trim out and it should release easily. Next, with the trim hanging down, you want to disconnect the electrical connectors. Finally, you pull down on the trim (it's difficult to explain without showing you).

Once that last trim piece is off you want to remove the (5) 8mm nuts that hold the chrome trim onto the tailgate. There are also 2 plastic snaps but those will pop out without too much effort once the nuts are removed. There is no need to remove the chrome fully, just let it hang down.

Unplug the 2 electrical connectors that provide power to the LED and reverse light on the taillight by pushing the little tab on the connector while simultaneously pulling the plug out. Next, you remove the (2) 8mm bolts located close to the outside edge of the tailgate and remove the (2) 8mm nuts located in the sheet metal cut out. Finally, there is a plastic trim clip that needs to be compressed to remove. You can use the Acura trim removal tool referenced earlier in this thread, or simply cut it off if you won't be using the defective taillight again. Now the taillight should easily come out. Take some time and clean the area under the taillight before putting in the new one. Simply reverse the steps to finish. Before putting the large trim piece back on it is easier to remove the part that holds the power tailgate button along with the 2 lights. Just feed the wires through the trim and attach the fixtures after the trim is snapped into place. This is a relatively easy job that can be done in about and hour and a half.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking for some answers here earlier on how to replace the lid tail light and just yesterday got a note in the mail about this very problem being recalled. I believe if anyone here has done it before and spent money getting it fixed should be able to recover it under this recall

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you jincollingo. I don't see why the 2 - 8mm exterior bolts and 2 - 8mm interior nuts be removed, and the white trim tab sheared off, and lift the light fixture enough to slide it out from under the chrome trim strip that sits above the license plate. It would have to be lifted high enough to clear the 8mm studs on the light fixture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts