Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2008 Acura MDX, bought around 1 year ago with 125000km / 77k miles.

Everything is fine except that I noticed a small oil leak last week. I looked under the car and it's located on the front, driver side. I removed the plastic panel and I think I have located the leak, see picture below. Looks like it come from this hose. I don't know much about cars and I since I am new in my city, don't know any reliable mechanic :(

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't see your engine, in the photos.
The photos look like the under side (area) of the radiator, because of the large cross member (pipe shaped) structure.
Are you having to refill or top off any of your fluids?
Is your level, on the oil dip stick normal?
Is your transmission level on its dip stick normal?
Is your radiator coolant reservoir level remaining constant?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
That looks like the lines for the P/S Fluid cooler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't see your engine, in the photos.
The photos look like the under side (area) of the radiator, because of the large cross member (pipe shaped) structure.
Are you having to refill or top off any of your fluids?
Is your level, on the oil dip stick normal?
Is your transmission level on its dip stick normal?
Is your radiator coolant reservoir level remaining constant?
Engine oil and radiator coolant no leak.

I have a confirmed power steering fluid leak, have to top up every month or so.

I have never checked my transmission level until today and I am not sure how to read the dipstick.

Cold engine (off) :

Hot (running) engine (after 3min and changing gear)

What do you think @carpayment4life

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Are you sure you are checking the ATF Leveled?
ATF Expands with heat so in any case you should see low ATF when cold and proper level when hot.
In your pics show High ATF on Cold but Low ATF on Hot? that is not normal.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you're willing to crawl under the MDX, you'll probably be willing to chase the leak.

You top off the PS fluid and we see that your ATF is very, very low.
When my timing belt was changed, a leak from the PS "O" ring developed on my passenger's side. So I haven't had an issue with PS fluid on the drivers side.

On to the tranny:

This is the recommended sequence to check the ATF level, which allows the ATF to heat up and expand.
Drive the car for 10 minutes, Park it and turn off the engine.
You've got 30 seconds to:
pull the ATF dip stick,
wipe it off,
stick it back in (all the way), and
pull it out to check the ATF level.

If your level is still as low as your most recent photos, you'll need about 1 1/2 quarts of ATF.
It only takes 3 quarts to complete one gravity drain & fill, so...remove the plastic under cover (so you can try to trace the leak), drain the ATF out and put the washer and plug back at 36 ft/lbs. Put 3 quarts of atf-dw1 Acura part # 08200-9008A in. If you can not loosen the ATF fill nut on top of the tranny, fill it thru the dip stick tube. Don't overfill, because bubbles and foam will be created and that is bad. Three quarts is all that you need to pour in.
Don't reinstall the plastic under cover, so you can track any new wetness upward, to its origination.

Also, I noticed in your original photo, from 3 days ago that someone had installed a hose clamp that is different from the Acura "squeeze" type clamp. Sometime people will over tighten that screw-down hose clamp and a leak will occur at the clamp. Check both ends of the ATF hose that goes to the bottom of your radiator.

If the hose clamp is the problem, you can reuse it, As you tighten it watch the holes/slots in the clamp's band. When the rubber hose starts to bulge thru the holes/slots...stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time for an update everyone (and @carpayment4life)

I did my ATF change with success, it's not that hard. Been monitoring the level of ATF and it's stable.

The leak that I showed comes from the power steering line. The photo that I shared above is the return line. Brought the car to a shop and they charged me 200$ (part, maintenance, power steering fluid) to fix it.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Time for an update everyone (and @carpayment4life)

I did my ATF change with success, it's not that hard. Been monitoring the level of ATF and it's stable.

The leak that I showed comes from the power steering line. The photo that I shared above is the return line. Brought the car to a shop and they charged me 200$ (part, maintenance, power steering fluid) to fix it.

Thanks everyone
What exactly did they replaced. Can you show us the invoice itemized all the parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so they have replaced :

Pipe Comp B, Ret 10MM - Acura (53779-STX-A11)
Hose, Power Steering Return - Acura (53734-STX-A01)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts