Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have Acura mdx 2007. First time I used Mobil1 5w-20 Advanced Synthetic Motor oil (mentioning 25k+ kms) but after running only 750 kms, car is showing oil life 90%. I checked the oil, its color / condition looks fine. Before that i was using other brands synthetic oils which were lasted 8000 kms (as mentioned in their bottles).

My question is above mentioned Mobil1 oil really lasts 25k kms? if its correct then I need to worry about my engine or car's sensors which check the oil condition?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oil life indicator on these cars do not actually indicate the condition of the oil. It is based off mainly driving habits like short trips, engine temps, hard acc, length of idling, etc. I believe the 25K interval oils are more geared towards long haul drivers that use hwy driving for hundreds of mile daily. Best thing to is have an oil analysis done, this will tell you how the oil is performing at each oil change. From there you can adjust oil change intervals. Tests do not cost a lot, do a few and use that a a good base point on when you should change your oil and/or change oil types.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The maintenance minder is programmed for regular dino oil, not syn blend, full syn, or long life syn. It simply tracks engine time/miles/temp and has no idea what kind of oil is being used. If you are going to do that you have to just ignore the mm.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
First time I used Mobil1 5w-20 Advanced Synthetic Motor oil (mentioning 25k+ kms) but after running only 750 kms, car is showing oil life 90%.
That's about right. The oil life indicator has nothing to do with the oil you use. It is based on the engine rotations and work hours, and not the mileage, although it can be roughly correlated to the mileage (usually the oil change happens anywhere from 5.5K kms to 8K kms according to the maintenance minder). Of course, it will pop up faster miles wise if you are idling your car a lot (traffic, warmups, idle) and later if you are mostly driving on highway, where you are covering much more ground with much less engine RPMs and working hours.

My question is above mentioned Mobil1 oil really lasts 25k kms?
Although we've come very far in terms of lubrication from the old conventional oil and yes, generally speaking, synthetic oil provides a better and longer lasting protection and lubrication, it's such a small price to pay for an oil change these days (I mean, 5L of fully synthetic gas based Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 only costs CAD $35 in Canadian Tire), it's really not worth to extend oil change intervals. With an average annual mileage of 20K kms you spend a mere hundred something bucks on oil changes each year including filters. And timely oil changes are the basic and best way to extend your car's life, so don't cheap out on those.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I've stuck with the M.I.D. oil change schedule on the 5 Acura's I've owned since 2006 with +500,000 miles between them. Oil changes are pretty cheap maint if you DYI (I purchase Mobil 1 at Walmart and take to the dealership to change for under $30). I still stuck with the M.I.D. oil change with Mobil 1 with the intervals were 5000 miles on my 06 TSX and 08 RDX (+9000 miles for my 11 MDX, 18 RLX, & 19 MDX).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I change my oil with Mobil 1 every 3 months or 3000 miles no matter what the engine service life indicator say. Cheap insurance, especially the way the drive.
Take a look at how dirty the oil gets after only 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.
20190316_181605.jpg
20190316_182508.jpg
20190316_180107.jpg

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Color won't tell you anything. But 3k oil change certainly wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts