Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had the o-ring inside the black intake nozzle of the power steering replaced three years ago. Because of the constant noise I had ever since, I first had the alternator replaced and then the power steering pump. That was a year ago and none of the replacements made a difference. When the tensioner is moved sideways to loosen the belt, the whining stops.

I am wondering if the first mechanic screwed up the o-ring replacement. Here is a video:

What would you suggest I do? Has the installation of the o-ring been screwed up? Should I get them done again? Should I also get the belt tensioner replaced because of the slight rattling that you can hear towards the end of the video?

Honestly, this noise is really bugging me a lot. I can't bring the car to an Acura dealer as I took this car overseas and I have stopped going to the Honda dealer because of what's happened. I go to an independent mechanic instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realized that it probably isn't the o-ring because the power steering pump (that was installed a year ago) came with that black plastic nozzle attached in which the o-ring is placed. So what's really causing that noise? I am also wondering about the steering fluid as it seems to rush into that reservoir quite fast. From watching other online videos it appears it shouldn't really do that. As mentioned before there is no bubbling. Just a strong flow that I don't see in other videos. Another observation: when I jerk the steering wheel around while the engine is idling (like trying to take a quick, tight turn), I feel a stiffer response for a split second, as if the pump didn't support, sort of like a backlash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts