Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MDX 2001 Serpentine belt (going through the Alternator and the AC Compressor) broke in the middle of the highway (and thus lost the broken belt). I got a replacement part (Part # 38920P8FA02) from an Acura dealer and tried to install it. But the length of the belt seems to be too long by an inch or so. I double-checked with the Acura dealer and he confirmed that I have the right part. I checked with another Acura dealer and they also confirmed I have the right part. However, no matter what, I can't get the part to fit tight. The tensioner is working properly as well. Contrary to later models, MDX 2001 seems to be using 2 serpentine belts (one for the AC/Alternator with 6 ribs) and the other for the steering pump (3 ribs).

I am thinking that perhaps there is something else I am missing to get the belt to fit tight. Has anybody encountered this issue? Is there a special routing diagram or installation procedure that I need to follow?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yes, there's a special routing diagram... I have to guess you're trying to put it on wrong if it's too long.

FWIW, here's a diagram for a later (2002-4, I believe) MDX belt routing. Might help, might not...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Probably has the same setup as the 2G TL-S

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for these diagrams.

I followed the routing shown as B in the second diagram (indeed the MDX 2001 has a similar layout as 2G TL-S) but I always end up with a loose belt no matter what. I measured the length of the belt and it's roughly 46.8 inches. I can't imagine there are many ways to route the belt around the 3 pulleys and the tensioner.

When I changed my alternator 18 months ago, I removed and reinstalled the original belt few times and I didn't have any issue. I am starting to think that the belt is simply too long. Unfortunately, I can't be certain about the exact length needed as I lost the original belt.

Does Acura publish the exact specs of the belt?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
That is almost the same size as my TL-S belt which is 47" long.
Are you sure the Tensioner didn't crap out? All the internet says that is the correct length for the MDX belt, roughly 46.7"inch

Gates is the OEM Manufacturer for the AC Belt and Mitsuboshi for the PS Belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts