Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across a colleague who has a 2009 MDX and when he heard I got an 2004, his first question was, "why something that old?" I explained I have 3 kids to support, all of whom aren't getting any cheaper and besides, I got a great deal on the 04 that I really couldn't say no... He insisted that there are worlds of difference between the 1G and 2G and started listing them, most of which were not terribly important to me...In fact, I would say that in seeing him use his navigation with a wheel, that would drive me bonkers. I like the touch screen. Yes, the maps look better, and Bluetooth is better integrated, etc. but I personally like the look of the 1Gs more.

That being said, cars are incredibly subjective and one person's like is another's point of concern. I am not even sure it is necessary to compare and contrast really since people like different things, so what I am curious to know though, is...if you have owned a 1G and 2G, what would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of each generation? I am not asking which one is better per se...just things you found that were done better in either generation (in terms of design/engineering, reliability, fun factor, longevity, maintenance, customizations, etc. I am sure that eventually once this one gets past a certain vintage I wlll move to a Gen 2, but in the meantime, just curious about your experiences.

So with my very limited experience in my colleague's G2, I will say that I like the touchscreen navigation in the G1, I like the instrumentation panel on the G1, and the G1 has a fair amount of leg room.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Well.. I will state my Honest Opinion, Keep in mind this is my Opinion but some things are Facts.

SH-AWD is a Superior AWD System in every way, It is Active for once while VTM4 is only Part-Time and kicks in when it senses slippage or when driving off.. SH-AWD can also enhance the vehicle handling in a big way but that only shows in corners, If you drive slowly and will never see VTEC kick in then the driving behavior will not matter to you. But Traction wise SH-AWD is faster and more active to distribute power where is needed.. So AWD is Better on the 2G as a Fact, SH-AWD is one of the best AWD Systems in the World.

ENGINE, Superior Honda reliability here on both cars they have excellent engines but the 2G has a very special one.. Its 300HP and 278lb-ft completely destroys the J35A3 in the 1st Gen this is good for overall drivability as the car will accelerate faster and get good passing power at highway speeds which is the achiles heel for the 1st gen.. In the MPGs department well this is where less is better, I am pretty sure the 1st gen gets better overall MPGs as the 3.7L in the 2G is very thirsty... So its a Tie between getting good MPGs or More POWAH! and I think most of us Men will choose the latter.

CHASSIS The 2G has several updates to the chassis so its stronger and thus technically more reliable than the 1st gen (Not that the 1st gen is issue prone).
So 2G is the Winner Here as a Fact.

INTERIOR DESIGN.. This is very subjective but overall the 2G has a Superior Materials which makes the Interior more Up-scaled compared to the 1st gen.. The Dashboard has a better more elegant design and the TECH package offers a sweep of features that aren´t simply available in the 1st gen.. The only advantage in the interior on the 1st gen is the Touchscreen but since the Head Unit is pretty old and the Touchscreen is a Resistive type is not really a huge pro over the Manual Control only NAV in the 2G. Dimension wise the 2G is bigger in all aspects vs the 1G. So the 2G is the Definitive Winner here as a Fact.

EXTERIOR DESIGN.. Again this is entirely Subjective, I really think the 2G Looks in every single way better than the 1st Gen.. Keep in mind that the 1st gen started its design back in the late 1999s.. So the design must feel older than what it is. The 2G had a extreme design choice with the Front Shield Grille, Wide Body and Audi like Rear End.. It looks modern even by today standards and IMO it has aged well while the 1G MDX "Feels" Old already.

I don´t want to sound BIASED here because I own a 2G.. But IMHO there is nothing were the 2G doesn´t Excel and Surpasses the 1G.. The line is pretty clear but it has to considering we are comparing a whole Generation of Difference... This question could be very tricky if it was 2G vs 3G but the 1G is not really a contender anymore, It was outdated when it came out and feels even older than what it is today.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.. I will state my Honest Opinion, Keep in mind this is my Opinion but some things are Facts.

SH-AWD is a Superior AWD System in every way, It is Active for once while VTM4 is only Part-Time and kicks in when it senses slippage or when driving off.. SH-AWD can also enhance the vehicle handling in a big way but that only shows in corners, If you drive slowly and will never see VTEC kick in then the driving behavior will not matter to you. But Traction wise SH-AWD is faster and more active to distribute power where is needed.. So AWD is Better on the 2G as a Fact, SH-AWD is one of the best AWD Systems in the World.

ENGINE, Superior Honda reliability here on both cars they have excellent engines but the 2G has a very special one.. Its 300HP and 278lb-ft completely destroys the J35A3 in the 1st Gen this is good for overall drivability as the car will accelerate faster and get good passing power at highway speeds which is the achiles heel for the 1st gen.. In the MPGs department well this is where less is better, I am pretty sure the 1st gen gets better overall MPGs as the 3.7L in the 2G is very thirsty... So its a Tie between getting good MPGs or More POWAH! and I think most of us Men will choose the latter.

CHASSIS The 2G has several updates to the chassis so its stronger and thus technically more reliable than the 1st gen (Not that the 1st gen is issue prone).
So 2G is the Winner Here as a Fact.

INTERIOR DESIGN.. This is very subjective but overall the 2G has a Superior Materials which makes the Interior more Up-scaled compared to the 1st gen.. The Dashboard has a better more elegant design and the TECH package offers a sweep of features that aren´t simply available in the 1st gen.. The only advantage in the interior on the 1st gen is the Touchscreen but since the Head Unit is pretty old and the Touchscreen is a Resistive type is not really a huge pro over the Manual Control only NAV in the 2G. Dimension wise the 2G is bigger in all aspects vs the 1G. So the 2G is the Definitive Winner here as a Fact.

EXTERIOR DESIGN.. Again this is entirely Subjective, I really think the 2G Looks in every single way better than the 1st Gen.. Keep in mind that the 1st gen started its design back in the late 1999s.. So the design must feel older than what it is. The 2G had a extreme design choice with the Front Shield Grille, Wide Body and Audi like Rear End.. It looks modern even by today standards and IMO it has aged well while the 1G MDX "Feels" Old already.

I don´t want to sound BIASED here because I own a 2G.. But IMHO there is nothing were the 2G doesn´t Excel and Surpasses the 1G.. The line is pretty clear but it has to considering we are comparing a whole Generation of Difference... This question could be very tricky if it was 2G vs 3G but the 1G is not really a contender anymore, It was outdated when it came out and feels even older than what it is today.
Skirmich - thank you SO MUCH for such detailed insight. This is awesome.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I own both, Skirmich makes great points...

They really are totally different vehicles...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So...here's a question for everyone...assuming conditions are similar...would you rather get a last-of-generation fully loaded with NAV/RES 2006 MDX or a first-of-generation fully loaded with NAV/RES 2007 MDX?

Or...asked another way...is it a worthwhile upgrade to go from a 2004 MDX to a 2006 MDX?

·
Registered
278 Posts
The 07 is superior except the interior space is smaller due to crossover look and the dial nav system and maybe the oil consumption issues.

In my area the 07 is double the price of the 05-06 if not more depending on millage and history so that was my consideration. Besides, I'm using the vehicle to haul stuff while renovating my house, so it's not worth the risk of messing up the interior of a more $ vehicle.

So it all depends on your circumstances. If I were to buy a different vehicle it would be something larger like the larger Lexus gx or yukon xl but I the g1 mdx perfectly fits my needs for now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
07 is superior to the First Gen...night and day. But as you say, the 1st Gen is a great vehicle...mine runs great. I use my 02 for hauling most anything I can get in it. All that said, the black leather has held up great..looks almost new..no joking.

And to answer the question about going from an 04 to an 06, I don't see the point, unless you get a screaming deal, less miles and know the vehicle very well. Maybe a trailer hitch if you need one etc...that could sway some.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
So...here's a question for everyone...assuming conditions are similar...would you rather get a last-of-generation fully loaded with NAV/RES 2006 MDX or a first-of-generation fully loaded with NAV/RES 2007 MDX?}

Get the 2007 MDX hands down, The difference is huge and while the 2G is by far more expensive is totally worth your money!! keep in mind it is borderline a gas guzzler though! 17mpgs in the CITY is the EPA Rating which is LAUGHABLE almost impossible to get under normal circumstances

Or...asked another way...is it a worthwhile upgrade to go from a 2004 MDX to a 2006 MDX?

NO!!! while it may seem like an upgrade the NAV/RES system in the 06 is nothing to write home about! you are wasting your money on it, Save that money and get the 2G you wont regret it!
Answers in Quote..
But I add.. Before getting my 2G I was dead on to get a 2006 as it was what I could afford at the time.. I was really hesitant to buy it but there was no way I could afford a 2G with the Money I saved (I am not Rich) so I spent a lot of time researching and seeing in person quite a few 1Gs to buy... They were mostly OK since the dashboard is similar to my 2G TL-S I felt right at home with it.. This is when my Parents came in and offered me a Loan so I could get the 2G,.. I felt in love the first second I drove one, It was literally Love at first sight... The power, the incredibly futuristic dashboard (Me having a 2G TL-S felt like I was driving a car that I would never afford) so I said no more and bought my 07 TECH & RES (RES only for the Power tailgate that I love like a crazy person) with Sport Sidesteps, Roof Rack, Fender Wheel Moldings, Wheel Locks and OEM Weather Mats.. I keep using my MDX more than my TL-S even when my TL-S is pushing 250whp and its easily 3-4x Faster the MDX is sooooo much comfortable to drive in the City and when the VTAK kicks in? It feels like a serious Sporty SUV! and It has to! It was tuned at the Nürburgring after all.

I sincerely advise you to wait! the 2G Is worth your while and your money! Get the Early 2G 07-09 to avoid the Oil Consumption issues of the late 10-13 2G. If possible get the TECH package at least.. and if you can get the RES package too for the Power Tailgate!!!! I haven't used the rear DVD system once that comes with the RES, I just got that package for the wicked and awesome Power Tail Gate..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So....I wasn't expecting to do this, but after work today I had some time to kill as my wife was bringing the kids to a church program, so I did a search on the local auto trader site and saw a 2008 MDX (Sport Edition) with nav, for sale from an independent dealer of like 200+ vehicles. I went to the store - it was FARRR and it was literally car after car inside. They happen to have the 2008 MDX in the back behind a Yukon and some Infiniti. For a 2008, I was expecting it to be marginally better aesthetically than an 04. Was I in for a surprise. I swear the person who owned it before did not drive it. It was in impeccable condition. No scratches outside except for one little one near the bumper. It was this beautiful white/silver and the inside was this off-white beige. But the inside was even better - no kids have ever sat in it - and not even sure anyone has even sat in the back. The driver's and passenger's seat had NO cracks anywhere. No stains anywhere. No scratches anywhere. They believe the previous owner was a condo type who just kept a car just in case. Kilometers were very low (131,000). I took tons of photos - I could not believe it - it looked like something from 2014.

So next came the big test...the test drive. I figured, I drove over 1.25 hours, may as well test drive the thing. The seating was amazing - lumbar support was phenomenal. The pickup was awesome - a lot of oomph. Braking was good. Visibility was good. I can't say I was fond of the steering wheel - it looked kind of tacky actually. So then the moment of the truth came and I used the wheel for navigation. I did not like it. I really didn't. What took a few seconds on the touchscreen on the 1G took a lot longer...the screen seemed better and the "graphics" were more sharp, but ugh, that wheel...what were they thinking? I played with the wheel and the menus for a while and couldn't convince myself it was better than the touch screen.

The front console was so-so...I am not crazy about the cup holders being front/back and the cheesy slider blind door and not sure why the single storage has two half-doors.

I did go sit in the back - it was OK, but definitely not as spacious as the 1G. I didn't bother sitting in the far back since I would never be back there. The good thing was that the headrests were actually on the seats...

The price, as you mentioned is almost double what a 1G would be...but no rust, Bluetooth built in, XM Sirius radio, backup camera...the only disappointment was that there was no RES. But thinking selfishly...I am never back there, and the kids had no RES until a few weeks ago and they turned out fine...but ah, the RES is so nice for car trips.

I just bought the 2004 MDX less than 3 weeks ago, and now I am pondering the 2008 MDX. Decisions, decisions... I showed my son the photos and he was like, "wow, that is really nice" but then immediately said, "you are super nuts - you just bought the other one and put all that work into it (fixed the nav, new brake pads, new rotors, new timing belt and water pump, I just bought the bluetooth adapter from a member here, I had an alignment done, new starter, new power steering pump, new drive shaft) and now you are thinking of selling it and buying another?" I guess so. I think part of the impetus is seeing the rust on my 2004 day after day...sure, I had it rust proofed 2 weeks ago, but the rust is unsightly - and the 2008 obviously has no rust. And I looked at the carproof report and the 2008 has never been in an accident (which also explains the condition). The sales rep showed me a 2009 they had and it was in 100x WORSE condition - lots of creases in the leather and the steering wheel was worn and the rims had nicks all over it. I guess it really depends on who took care of it.

I am not known to make impulse buys or brash decisions but this is a hard one...particularly after reading this thread.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
DO NOT GET THE SPORT!
It uses proprietary Electro Magnetic Shocks that cost almost 1K a Piece! There aren't any aftermarket options for the Sport in the Shocks.
Acura released an Extended Warranty on the Magnetic Shocks I believe 100K and 7 years but I dunno if in Canada is available.

In the US the Sport is the top package it has the Tech and RES on it so it should have the power tailgate... I dunno if in Canada they changed that.
Get the TECH + RES if Possible.. RES adds the Power Tailgate, Rear DVD, Rear Heated Seats and 110V AC Outlet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Love the nav wheel, no finger prints....mine works great. Split console can be opened if the other front seat rider has their arm on it...

As others have said, I would stay away from the adjustable suspension...

2010+ had additional upgrades, I have had no issues with oil consumption.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DO NOT GET THE SPORT!
It uses proprietary Electro Magnetic Shocks that cost almost 1K a Piece! There aren't any aftermarket options for the Sport in the Shocks.
Acura released an Extended Warranty on the Magnetic Shocks I believe 100K and 7 years but I dunno if in Canada is available.

In the US the Sport is the top package it has the Tech and RES on it so it should have the power tailgate... I dunno if in Canada they changed that.
Get the TECH + RES if Possible.. RES adds the Power Tailgate, Rear DVD, Rear Heated Seats and 110V AC Outlet.
Here's the weird thing...in Canada, heated seats in the back are standard on the 2008.

Also, the packages are different...there is only an Technology and Elite package. This is an Elite one which is apparently a combination of Sport + Entertainment even though the one I am looking at does not have RES. Not sure about the tailgate - it is not a make it or break it item for me.

I am also wondering to myself whether I could also find a body shop that repairs the rust on my 2004 1G. The 2004 has NAV, RES, and I now have a Bluetooth kit coming for it...it has 212,000 KM and drives well.

My kids told me that they will be really disappointed if I get the new car since they will miss the DVD movies (yeah, they've had it for all of three weeks, so it's not like something they can't do without).

The 1G definitely has more space in the back.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the seller/dealer called me back. Said he can't accept my offer, and in fact, they don't even negotiate so they can't go down in price. I said, no problem, I won't buy the car.

That was easy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, the seller/dealer called me back. Said he can't accept my offer, and in fact, they don't even negotiate so they can't go down in price. I said, no problem, I won't buy the car.

That was easy.
I live in Toronto and I see local 2nd gens start at around $10k. Just curious, how much were they asking for the 2008?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in Toronto and I see local 2nd gens start at around $10k. Just curious, how much were they asking for the 2008?
Yes if it is 2007 base model with over 230,000 kilometers. Like base base

I looked at a 2G today that is 2009. White beauutiful outside. Inside is beige and good shape but a few stains. But it has navigation, RES, power tailgate, etc. 155,000 kilometers. Carproof verified no accidents. Single owner. $15000 cdn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts