Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has been able to find the max speed on the MDX. I heard it had a "governor" at 115 but if it does mine is broken 'cause I've hit 120. I've never floored it all the way but am dying to. Anybody????

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dan, you should be able to get about 135 mph out of it. Just don't get caught that's a free trip. The I-205 bridge late at night between Oregon and Washington is my favorite spot to speed a little.

·
Registered
126 Posts
120 in an MDX?! I'm sure that it will do it, but geez! What would the stopping distance be ...... I am all for speed as I have had my Audi S4 (chipped with 320 hp) well over 120, but still not too smart on the street..... :confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
120 in an MDX?! I'm sure that it will do it, but geez! What would the stopping distance be ...... I am all for speed as I have had my Audi S4 (chipped with 320 hp) well over 120, but still not too smart on the street..... :confused:

And yes, I do own an MDX - actually my wife's/family hauler. Best vehicle out there for the task as I love AWD.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Rroff, I've been to Cinci and I remember that they have Interstates down there don't they?

Anyway, there's a few good stretches of Highway in New Hampshire and Mass that you can let it go. The taxes are so high up here that the State Troopers spend most of their time chasing "Criminals".

135.. I believe it. Just haven't had the opportunity or..uhm...nerve. I recommend if you're not the most experienced of drivers that you don't try....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Again, the MDX is an SUV!

Yours (and mine) came with Michelin Cross Terrain (their new replacement to the LTX line) that are not designed to rotate at that speed and deal with that heat. The stopping distance with those tires, vehicle weight, brakes would likely be over 800 feet: over 1/8 mile, and approaching the 1/4 mile! Forget about emergency maneuvering with this thing at this speed. I don't care if you are on a track - I would consider this with an X5, maybe.

I know New England well. Only lived in Cincy for 2 years - moved here from Connecticut. Spent lots of time at Lime Rock race track in CT and I have been to Loudon (?) and NH speedway as well.

Be safe! Gotta love the MDX for what she is -

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points Rroof but I'm not worried about heat or stopping because I'm not condoning anyone doing this..ESPECIALLY in Connecticut. Gawd those folks can't drive at 65! ;)

From a tire design perspective, I'd be alot more worried about a prolonged period at 90-100 than a few seconds at 135. They are not designed for a "sustained high speed" but if they'll blow after a few seconds at 130MPH or so; the engineer in me would sell them tommorrow. A blow out at any speed would not be fun.

...and remember..Don't try this at home folks!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I echo the nagging urge to be safe. Would hate to lose anyone here for an exercise like this. Pushing an SUV to these limits is probably best done with a fast sports car, or something like a Subaru WRX ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OH jeeeeeeeeez WLMQUAN; I'm not asking anyone to go out and test drive their MDX at 135MPH!! I'm curious because I thought it had a governor and obviosuly it does not. I second the safety Nazui crap but does anyone really need to be told to be "safe". I assume those folks bought ML320's or something...

You guys are starting to sound like those windnoise whiners! ;) I just figured one of our MDX buddies out west has tried it. And you gotta be kidding if you think an X5 is any safer. Have you guys ever driven an SUV before? This vehicle handles extremely well at almost any speed. I'll take an MDX at a buck twenty before any other at 90.

And yes I know that the Subaru's are "fast" and all that but I'd be worried the damn thing would fall apart!!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Danny,

X5? Nah ... for 135 I'd rather not be in an SUV. Give me a vehicle bred for that speed (and an appropriate road to do it with, that seems to be the main issue).

Montana might be a good place since there's no posted speed limit and you can find some stretches that are good for it.

Since you mentioned safety Nazis and the ML320 ;) ...

Strange you should mention both because not too far from you, this weekend, a woman was killed and a man critically injured when his '98 ML320 rolled over. They weren't wearing seat belts and were both ejected from the vehicle. Jeez, those two needed to be told to be safe; she was a mother of four.

Safely yours ...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
William,

See! I WUZ right! Actually, I don't want to joke about any accidents regardless of the vehicle. I still regard myself as a safe driver but I have to admit I'm itchin' to see what the MDX would do.

Your points are well taken. Think they would let me do a few laps up at the NHIS (New Hampshire International Speedway)? Heck, I race my bicycle up there; maybe they let me take a few laps in the MDX!

....can you imagine the WINDNOISE at 135MPH!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Speed ...

... Thats what the TL Type-S is for:D :cool: :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Max Speed

I have a stretch of road about 3 miles long, straight, etc. Anyway, I've had mine up to 123 or 126, I can't remember. It didn't have much oomph at that speed though.

DBastian

·
Registered
36 Posts
DBastian - Speed

Could you be a bit more descriptive? :confused:

Did the car feel solid, floaty, shacky, etc.? :eek:

Did it take much time to get from 110 to 120+? :cool:

Where you feeling comfortable, or would you not attempt again because of possible instability? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :) :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
The car didn't feel too bad, I didn't try any side to side motion at that speed, it did take a while to get from 110 up to the 12? mark, maybe 7-9 seconds. It wasn't shakey at all, wind noise at that speed is a little louder as you can imagine, but nothing too bad, I wouldn't cruise at that speed, slight sideways motion would be ok, for instance if you wanted to change lanes (not sudden of course, but average lane changes) to pass someone, but a lot of people don't know how to handle that speed and don't give themselves enough time, so they often clip the person in front of them,. It felt ok, not as good as a sedan or sports car, but close to a sedan. If I had different tires on I'm sure it'd be even better. I've done it a few times, I always do when I'm on this road which is about 8 times a year, sometimes more, I've done it with an Eagle Vision TSi, 1990 Acura Interga, Lexus ES300, 2000 Nissan Sentra SE. The Eagle has to govner set to not allow more than 112, the interga I've had it to 133, the Sentra to about 120, the Lexus about 140 (modified slightly). Each car maybe could have done more, but I run out of road eventually.

DBastian

ps. I'm not a crazy driver and I'm very safe, not a lot of public on this road.
My family has a history of racing cars, so I guess it's in my blood.

·
Registered
61 Posts
135 mpg? Someone needs to get me a diaper :p. I dare not. I got a ticket for driving 79 mpg in Los Angeles....The corrupted City Councils decided to limit a stretch of freeway limited to 55 mph!

·
Registered
925 Posts
dbastian said:
..... but a lot of people don't know how to handle that speed and don't give themselves enough time, so they often clip the person in front of them,....
Yeah, I hate that. People doing that all the time on the perimeter here. When will they learn?!?! 120 is fast enough! :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
26 Participants
msu79gt82
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing