Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I figured there might not be a difference in mpgs in 87 -vs- 93 Octane at steady hwy speeds at sea level. You are probably using under 100 hp to maintain 60 mph. You might see different results in higher altitudes, hilly/mountainous terrain, higher interstate speeds of +80 mph, or hauling a heavier load when the MDX needs that extra performance from 91-93 octane.
I'm aborting this mission. Not only am I seeing less range and a constant steady instanteous rating of 32.5 mpg average and 33.8 mpg max, but my transmission is acting weird now. It won't respond to my throttle input at times in "D" mode.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I thought the 9AT had a learning logic? Maybe the 9AT is getting confused with the new driving habits and hasn't adjusted? No sure if a ECU reset would help or not.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I thought the 9AT had a learning logic? Maybe the 9AT is getting confused with the new driving habits and hasn't adjusted? No sure if a ECU reset would help or not.
This just happened out of nowhere. Never happened before even with the muffler delete. And I just called the stealership. SA just told me a load of garbage. Apparently, I'm NOT allowed to shift between Sport AND Drive while in motion. Is there any other stealership that will not give me a load of garbage like this? And I am out of luck with the Honda dealership.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I've never heard of that? Seems like a normal thing to do to switch between IDS modes and "D" and manual shift on the fly. What are you suppose to do? Pull over, restart the MDX, and then switch shift modes?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've never heard of that? Seems like a normal thing to do to switch between IDS modes and "D" and manual shift on the fly. What are you suppose to do? Pull over, restart the MDX, and then switch shift modes?
According to Mr. Smartiepants SA, yeah. And he suggested I WOT on 9th gear to pass people. Gaining speed on 9th gear takes ages.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Resuming this mission. This will be the 2nd time I hit the 500 mile range.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
The needle at E is misguiding by 1.5 gals. I believe the reserve for the MDX has to be between 1 gal and 1.5 gals. This run I hit 513 miles. Will edit this from phone to add the pictures for this run. And of course the total was $51.52 for this tank. This was also the first time I used the right side fuel tank pump on the MDX at Costco. Also need to mention, this run took a 2 MPG hit compared to the first 500 mile run.

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You may as well go for 550 miles next time.
Nah. Next goal is 600 miles. After all, my MDX did challenge me.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That's the spirit - I'll be waiting for the post on it.
It'll happen sometime before my 3rd gen goes back to weekend status. I am honestly interested on the max range of the Hybrid (@JTM @mrgold35 @elvisfan ) since I found out on a near sea level surface, that the MDX can easily get at least 513 miles of range before refueling. If anyone with the Hybrid is willing to do this, this would be great information to add.

Before anyone attempts it, just make sure you have patience, make sure if you have any passengers that you will be going slower than normal, contact the highway patrol and see whats the slowest legal speed before it becomes a ticket able offense, and make sure to use CC & set your gears to the highest gear possible.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
It would be hard for me in New Mexico because of the posted speed limits are 65-75 mph and the elevation varies between 3700-7500 feet depending on direction of travel. The best I've done was 454 miles for 24.5 mpg on 18.5 gal driving at elevations between 7000-8300 feet (flagstaff to Grand Canyon North Rim round trip, Sport Mode with 4 passengers). My highest mpgs are usually city driving in my hybrid between 25-27 range in warm/hot weather. The fwd MDX is the hwy mpg king.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It would be hard for me in New Mexico because of the posted speed limits are 65-75 mph and the elevation varies between 3700-7500 feet depending on direction of travel. The best I've done was 454 miles for 24.5 mpg on 18.5 gal driving at elevations between 7000-8300 feet (flagstaff to Grand Canyon North Rim round trip, Sport Mode with 4 passengers). My highest mpgs are usually city driving in my hybrid between 25-27 range in warm/hot weather. The fwd MDX is the hwy mpg king.
I think I may have started a trend called #deathtoprius. Hopefully someone with the Hybrid on this forum is willing to do this. Also, it has to be 87 octane cuz 93 is totally a waste of money for this experiment. I might be looking at a Type S MDX as my new daily sometime down the road, so that will be put to its paces too.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I think I may have started a trend called #deathtoprius. Hopefully someone with the Hybrid on this forum is willing to do this. Also, it has to be 87 octane cuz 93 is totally a waste of money for this experiment. I might be looking at a Type S MDX as my new daily sometime down the road, so that will be put to its paces too.
I have an 08 RDX 2.3T with Hondata+ETS intercooler for about +30 hp/tq bump and increase in redline in sport shift mode. I handed it down to my daughter a few years ago and still going strong with +190,000 miles. I actually improved my mpgs from 17.5 combined before upgrages to 18.5-19.5 in summer and 20.5 combined in winter. Some folks saw another mpg jump to mid 20s with the 1st gen RDX when they deleted the 1st Cat just after the turbo with a downpipe along with another 15-20 hp/tq boost.

You might see that same power+mpg increase with aftermarket support on the MDX Type-S with 1st CAT delete, reflash, and larger intercoolers. You are probably maxed out with 3rd Gen MDX mpg potential other than messing with type of tires, PSI, or taping off grill vents.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
500 miles is doable with Hybrid, especially on city limit. You gain nothing at HWY cruising speed since electric motor is cut-off after certain MPH. Anyhow, I only fuel with Premium gas since price for 93 at Costco is about same or lower than 87 of local gas stations.

Reactions: datechboss101

·
Registered
459 Posts
500 miles is doable with Hybrid, especially on city limit. You gain nothing at HWY cruising speed since electric motor is cut-off after certain MPH. Anyhow, I only fuel with Premium gas since price for 93 at Costco is about same or lower than 87 of local gas stations.
I agree the difference between "city driving" and "highway driving" range isn't much on the hybrid, but the hybrid DOES use the electric motors quite a bit on the highway as long as the speeds are below 80 mph. In our trips very often on downhills the high voltage battery goes to full charge if your using cruise control to hold downhill speed to the speed limit. and then it uses the battery while your driving. And even when cruising on flat ground on the highway it will be using the battery off and on. watch the display showing power distribution.

Now can the hybrid go further than the non hybrid on the highway? I'd say under identical conditions yes, but not by a huge amount.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
@MCRacer @JTM

So consensus from both of you is that the Hybrid can achieve this mileage during in city, but in highway, the regular MDX is the best in terms of range. My idea here is if we are going towards an all EV world, is it possible to achieve such range without frequent stops at the charging stations. And right now, battery tech is in its infancy, otherwise I would be asking which specific make and model that's a full blown EV can achieve a minimum of 500 miles range within a $30k budget, $40k budget, or $50k budget. Right now, to get a 500 mile range EV, we are literally looking at the Tesla CyberTruck Tri-Motor, which starts at $70k before adding anything (and that's the cheapest one). Other 500 mile range EVs, we are looking over $100k.

And what this experiment shows is few things:
  • Gasoline internal combustion engine has came a long way from the early 1900s
  • If a vehicle doesn't say premium is required, just stick with 87 octane for highway driving
  • Everyone must have patience and must incorporate additional time added to their travel
  • Not everyone can afford Diesel or Premium
  • Regardless of powertrain configuration (I4 w/ CVT or V6 w/ xAT or FWD/AWD/RWD) 500 miles minimum can be attained
  • Geographic location, traffic and weather conditions (those are the changing variables)
  • We don't need a tiny cramped Prius when larger vehicles are becoming more fuel efficient by each new model generation
  • 60 MPH is the sweet spot for best range and MPGs
The next test of this whole experiment is based off of @mrgold35 's claim regarding turbo charged vehicles. Now what needs to be tested is: Can Turbo charged vehicles achieve similar range and MPGs in stock configuration AND modified (talking different size turbos, intercoolers, wastegates, cat/catless downpipes, ECU flashs, amount of boost, etc.)? Which vehicle(s) and configuration(s) would it be, that is still in decision. All I know one of them will be the MDX Type S, since now I am looking at getting one due to the fact Tesla pushed back a year on initial production of the CyberTruck (and lets just say even model years has a negative track record in my family, as in they unfortunately meet their demise). However, the tests on turbo charged vehicles will show if turbo-charging a vehicle has any positive effects, such as increasing of range.

I do have 1 more item I need to address for this MDX platform before my gigantic bank-account draining build kicks into high gear. My post (post #11) showed the MID and computer displaying a theoretical max range of 640 miles, I want to see if this is true AND if it is actually achievable, or if this is a theoretical and an imagination number thrown by the vehicle. How I will test this, I am not 100% sure, but I do know I may have to go into GA for this run. And I have no clue when this run will take place either, but hopefully before all the modifications take place. All these data points will actually be helpful for owners, since unfortunately, the numbers that Edmunds posted are quiet off depending on vehicle.

Eventually, I am pretty sure Honda/Acura will take notice of this feat. Would it be looked in a positive or negative way, that I am not sure on too.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Not everyone can afford Diesel or Premium
But if one can afford an MDX then they sb able to afford premium. If they're unable to afford premium they sb driving a less expensive vehicle without all the leather, infotainment, shawd, power, etc., which are not actual necessities. There's a difference between being able to afford premium and just not wanting to pay for premium.

60 MPH is the sweet spot for best range and MPGs
But 60 is also an unsafe speed on many freeways due to being substantially slower than the majority of other traffic. There's no way I'd drive that slow for long distances on many freeways, especially in the western part of the country but also many places in the east as well.

You're to young to have lived through the awful days of Jimmy Carter's national 55mph speed limit but I lived in Arizona at the time and it was almost physically impossible to drive 55 on those long desert stretches with little traffic and a perfectly fine freeway and visibility. Luckily that eventually went away.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think that in an actual side by side drive the hybrid will get better highway mileage than the non hybrid. NOW why not a huge difference??? well the acura hybrid was designed as a performance hybrid with in town mileage about equal to the highway mileage. If you look at other hybrids like toyota that have high highway mileage they go for mileage not peformance in many cases. atkins cycle engines with very poor low rpm torque and expect the electric motor to make up for it, CVT transmission, lower total power and often less acceleration peformance than the non hybrid. Acura didn't do that, conventional otto cycle engine, great low end torque AND lots of torque from the electreic motors, and improved acceleration vs the non hybrid. And icing on the cake with the torque vectoring for handling that comes close to mimiking a RWD car with 50/50 weight distribution.

What kind of highway mileage could the mdx hybrid achieve? Well, as a comparison on one trip over the continental divide and 2 other major passes a distance of 750 miles my 2015 duramax diesel truck, empty weight 7800lbs, Cd of a barn door got an actual hand calculated 24.5 mpg. How did I do this? well DW was driving the truck following me who was driving a U haul van driving at 55-60 mph the whole way. At least on the highways we were on they were 4 lane in the middle of no where 55-60 in the right lane was no problem. speed kills mpg! BTW the U-haul took 80 gallons of gas over the same distance! So what kind of mileage could a mdx hybrid get if you drove 55-60 or so on flat ground for 500 miles? I don't think mid 30's would be out of the question. That would put it in the close to 700 mile range.

And after that ride I remember how horrible it was during the double nickel nationwide speed limit. At least at the time in montana the "fine" was for "wasteting a natural resource" of like $10 payable on the spot and not a moving violation as long as you weren't violating the "normal" montana speed limit of "reasonable and prudent"

60-65 mph when I'm towing a 10,000 travel trailer, not an issue takes as much concentration as driving a car a 80. driving 60 in a car, not if I can help it. I'll pay the extra gas to go with the higher speed limits in most places.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
But if one can afford an MDX then they sb able to afford premium. If they're unable to afford premium they sb driving a less expensive vehicle without all the leather, infotainment, shawd, power, etc., which are not actual necessities. There's a difference between being able to afford premium and just not wanting to pay for premium.

But 60 is also an unsafe speed on many freeways due to being substantially slower than the majority of other traffic. There's no way I'd drive that slow for long distances on many freeways, especially in the western part of the country but also many places in the east as well.

You're to young to have lived through the awful days of Jimmy Carter's national 55mph speed limit but I lived in Arizona at the time and it was almost physically impossible to drive 55 on those long desert stretches with little traffic and a perfectly fine freeway and visibility. Luckily that eventually went away.
I lived in areas where people were debating to increase highway speeds from like 60 to 70 or decrease speeds from 40 to 25 for no reason. And to get your point here especially about Jimmy Carter's national 55 MPH limit... Miami-Dade county, has 2 specific roads, the Palmetto Expressway (SR-826, non-toll) and the Dolphin Expressway (SR-836, toll), where these roads have multiple lanes on both sides, has a posted limit of 55 MPH (55 MPH needs to be bump to 70 on the Palmetto Expressway in Miami). I've driven on these two roads countless of times, both night and day. And there are certain stretches of I-95 and I-4 that comes to mind that I've seen with a limit of 60 or 55. FL Turnpike has stretches that has a 55 MPH speed limit. And actually a main road from my place to WDW has a speed of 55 MPH (could have easily been 65 MPH) and is heavily monitored by an empty OCSO vehicle.

Not everyone buys the MDX brand new, just saying. So you gotta account for the used car buyers here too, as depreciation will make the MDXs cost couple grand in 10 to 20 years. The few fortunate that can afford the MDX new (in cash) of course can afford a diesel truck/suv or premium fuel required vehicle ONLY or whatever they want. The mindset you just displayed in your first paragraph is if someone buys an MDX for the cheap, you are saying they need to use premium regardless or they can screw off and get a POS GM knock-off 90s corolla for $1000 when they want to reward themselves a nicer vehicle with something they can afford with a min wage salary. Seriously, not the mindset or ideology we need to have here. Plus I never incorporated diesel vehicles into this equation because not everyone looking for a new vehicle will budget in a diesel vehicle, and it is already proven diesels has more range and are better.

Also I did state 60 MPH is the sweet spot. I didn't say yall need to disregard your traffic laws and go at this speed on the rightmost lane of the highway; I just said after doing this experiment, 60 MPH is the sweetspot to achieve these best results. Most states have laws that I am aware of that the slowest one can go legally is 15 MPH BELOW the posted limit (unless posted on sign that reads Minimum XX speed) before they get cited for obstruction of traffic flow. I did specifically ask FHP this info before I started my commutes to Miami in 2018.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts