Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
HERE ( formerly NAVTEQ ) has a free smartphone app that allows downloading maps for "off-line" use. As noted, AFAIK all modern smartphones have GPS receiver chipsets. IIRC early iPhones didn't have GPS chipsets and relied exclusively on cell tower triangulation. With an appropriate app, recent smartphones will display your current position on a map, even when you don't have cell phone service.

But if you're underwater or underground, you're on your own!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any way we can get the built-in navigation map update free or for cheap or can it be shared among a few Acura users?

I hate to pay Acura such a hefty amount

thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Just remember, even though they are $99 every year, they are a year behind in map updates. They send out the sale notifications in July of 2020 and the DVD is last updated in November, 2019! Not worth it...use Google maps on your phone it's more "up to date" JMO (just my opinion). Plus Google maps is free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
$99 every spring from here Acura | Navigation System GPS Map Update Home. They say it cannot be shared and nobody has dared to try in case we brick the unit and void the warranty. You can self update with the disc but it takes like 5 hours

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
These DVD updates are a year behind. Every year I get a notice of a "Special Navigation Map Offer" around July and the last update was November of the previous year. Not worth it when Google maps is free and more "current." If we take our Acura to the dealership for service, they should offer members "free" updates because their navigation updates are not current.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
These DVD updates are a year behind. Every year I get a notice of a "Special Navigation Map Offer" around July and the last update was November of the previous year. Not worth it when Google maps is free and more "current." If we take our Acura to the dealership for service, they should offer members "free" updates because their navigation updates are not current.
Yep not worth it at all. They do come with background software updates that correct some bugs and that's probably something worth looking into after 3-5 years

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

21 - 24 of 24 Posts