Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way we can get the built-in navigation map update free or for cheap or can it be shared among a few Acura users?

I hate to pay Acura such a hefty amount

thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Can't that DVD be copied lol
I don't know if the Navi update procedures has changed for the +14 MDX compared to the 10-13 MDX harddrive based Navi? You have to submit your VIN, Device ID #, and database version online and get the update DVD and one time passcode to enter to start the update process. The initial DVD update takes about 20-30 minutes and you can eject the DVD and toss in the trash. The XM satellite system will finish the update when the MDX is on and has a strong signal (usually around 4-5 hours).

The one time passcode is what keeps you from purchasing an used disk or burning the current one to use on other vehicles like we use to with the CD-ROM Navi versions.:crying2:

·
Registered
869 Posts
$99 every spring from here http://acuranavi.navigation.com/web/WFS/Shop-AcuraNA-Site. They say it cannot be shared and nobody has dared to try in case we brick the unit and void the warranty. You can self update with the disc but it takes like 5 hours

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vehicle can be driven while it updates. It just resumes where it left off if you turn it off during update. Not sure it really takes 5 hours anyway.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Main thing for me is...I was camping last week in remote places in p.a....my cell gps failed.

Only the standalone Garmin or car nav worked....but wasn't up to date so was a pain.

If I do spend$100 and get that update,.how long will it be effective? Or worth?

Heck you can buy a new GPS for cheap, wish the update was $50.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Money for nothing..and your chicks for free..

That said, I think they issue updates about once a year...state maps are usually free at Welcome Centers....

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
You may want to call HERE and ask them if it covers a specific area if you know you are going there. HERE has traditionally been about 3 years behind on updates.

And yup paper maps are always recommended if you are going off the grid.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Poor cell reception in the southwest is the reason I keep my Navi maps somewhat updated and still have XM. Once I leave ABQ city limits, it is pretty much 3-5 hours of straight driving at 80 mph before I'm back into solid 4G/LTE reception. Even then, we sometimes have to use our work iphones on Verizon when our personal AT&T iphones have poor reception as back-up to Acura navi.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've never been absolutely dependent on Nav maps or maps that require cell phone reception. I simply review routes beforehand and in some cases have paper maps if needed. This is especially true in areas not eMapped and/or without cell reception - which would tend to include many camping areas and especially many areas in the Southwest and Rockies I've 4-wheeled in (not in the MDX). In some of these areas I've 4-wheeled on trails all day long without seeing another vehicle, person, or building - just the trail I'm on and the countryside around me.

The Nav can be handy when navigating around in unfamiliar cities but I rarely need it for getting between longer hauls due to pre-planning the route or even using street/hwy signage. Within cities the major routes tend to not change that frequently so I expect probably over 90% of the time maps that are even a few years old will work fine. There'll be occasional impacts due to brand new freeways, exits, neighborhoods but think back to how many times those really got you caught.

Also don't forget that the 'updates' seem to sometimes still not include areas that are a couple of years old - i.e. it's not like the updated mapping is comprehensive.

I have the original map in my 2014 MDX, built June 2013 (4 years old now) and I don't feel compelled to need to update the maps. In addition - it chaps my hide to have to pay even the discounted $99 for a map update when I know I can get free updates on my smartphone or on a Garmin. I don't like the fact that Acura (and others) have decided to make things like map updates a profit center for them rather than an included service for this premium vehicle that was purchased. It's kind of like a hotel - the more expensive a hotel is the fewer amenities are included and they charge for the services the less expensive hotels provide at no additional cost (wifi, parking, etc.).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Oh and there's offline maps too with Google Maps, so even poor reception doesn't really seem to be an issue. I've navigated Bangkok, Thailand using offline maps without using signal at all. So that's always a fallback in areas that HERE kind of neglects.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Is there any way we can get the built-in navigation map update free or for cheap or can it be shared among a few Acura users?

I hate to pay Acura such a hefty amount

thanks

You should not be advocating obviously illegal activity on a public forum.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I use a Garmin. Or if I have a passenger,we use their phone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and there's offline maps too with Google Maps, so even poor reception doesn't really seem to be an issue. I've navigated Bangkok, Thailand using offline maps without using signal at all. So that's always a fallback in areas that HERE kind of neglects.
How to get those offline maps?
Also without a signal how Will I know where I'm? Or how Will the map know where the phone is?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
In Google Maps, hit the upper left hand hamburger (three line) menu, go to offline maps, select your own map, and save the area you need. The idea is to plan ahead of when you're going somewhere that may have signal issues and download it beforehand. Say, you're going camping and you know you'll be within 50 miles of a campsite, so you save a 50 mile square of the area around the campsite.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In Google Maps, hit the upper left hand hamburger (three line) menu, go to offline maps, select your own map, and save the area you need. The idea is to plan ahead of when you're going somewhere that may have signal issues and download it beforehand. Say, you're going camping and you know you'll be within 50 miles of a campsite, so you save a 50 mile square of the area around the campsite.
Great Will do...but it's like a map and won't tell where I'm in that map right?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Your gps still functions off the satellites so you will still have your location while using offline maps. The navigation function just doesnt work but at least you can manually navigate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Smart phones deliver GPS by two possible methods. My ancient Samsung has a GPS receiver that works even when there isn't a cell tower for a thousand miles. It can also work with or without cell reception where it can triangulate from the cell towers. You can turn either or both of these radios off if you want. I turn off GPS when I'm not using it so my battery lasts longer.

You can buy stand alone GPS software for a smart phone as well. I believe it is about $50 for the Navigon brand I like (Garmin company I think) that has all the maps inside your phone and all the usual features.

When I bought it there was a one time cost.

I have this in my phone and my Android tablet. At times when traveling alone in other cars without onboard Nav I have put my Android tablet on the front passenger seat, plugged in for power to provide guidance. The big screen is really easy to read.

If you go with stand alone GPS in your phone or tablet make sure you do this before you travel and do all the downloads by wi-fi b/c the initial download is huge. The Navigon software allows me to choose which states I have in my phone to save space or I can choose to have all the possible maps.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Also without a signal how Will I know where I'm? Or how Will the map know where the phone is?
Have you never driven or walked anywhere without electronic guidance? Have you never used a paper map? Have you never learned to orient yourself to the compass directions (i.e. know where north is) or use landmarks?

I find your questions a little odd - I view the electronic navigation aids as kind of useful at times but I can manage okay without them and drove for decades all over the world without them and managed okay.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts