Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum and I didn’t see anything mentioning the map updates for the ‘22s.

I took delivery of my MDX about 3 weeks ago and it came with the map database version of 2020.10.09. I checked the Acura map update website and there was an update available. It takes a couple hours to download to a USB and then about 45 mins to an hour to update in the vehicle. Now that the update is complete it shows a database version of 2021.03.18. I guess updating the maps isn’t part of the delivery process.

I know a lot of people use CarPlay or AA for their maps but for those of us who still use the onboard system, it’s something worth checking from time to time. My 2020 RDX seemed to have map updates available every 4 months or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Nice to know Acura is providing free map update for 4th Gen (2022) MDX.

Rectangle Font Technology Circle Screenshot

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Registered
974 Posts
I searched the forum and I didn’t see anything mentioning the map updates for the ‘22s.

I took delivery of my MDX about 3 weeks ago and it came with the map database version of 2020.10.09. I checked the Acura map update website and there was an update available. It takes a couple hours to download to a USB and then about 45 mins to an hour to update in the vehicle. Now that the update is complete it shows a database version of 2021.03.18. I guess updating the maps isn’t part of the delivery process.

I know a lot of people use CarPlay or AA for their maps but for those of us who still use the onboard system, it’s something worth checking from time to time. My 2020 RDX seemed to have map updates available every 4 months or so.
Updating mine right now. Took forever to download to the USB drive and now taking along time to load into the Acura. I hope I don't brick the system.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Andre, well said. I just got mine on 8/20. Going to check the Navi version, and I agree with you, that should be part of the new car delivery by the dealer to insure uyou have the most current update.
My question is this: after I confirm the age of my program , and the need to download the new version, can it downloaded directly to a USB Flashdrive or must be downloaded to your hard drive and then copied to the Flash drive?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Andre, well said. I just got mine on 8/20. Going to check the Navi version, and I agree with you, that should be part of the new car delivery by the dealer to insure uyou have the most current update.
My question is this: after I confirm the age of my program , and the need to download the new version, can it downloaded directly to a USB Flashdrive or must be downloaded to your hard drive and then copied to the Flash drive?
You can download it direct to the USB drive. Saves a little time bypassing the hard drive.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks for this @andre12dbsi. A few comments.

My MDX is a few weeks old and came with the old Maps.

Gadget Vehicle Communication Device Personal luxury car Audio equipment

The MDX gives you instructions:

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Gadget

The online instructions say you can do the update with the engine off:

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant

So I started updating with the engine off:

Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment Personal luxury car Computer

But while updating with the engine off for what seemed like an eternity, the MDX turned off all the electronics before the update was finished!!!! So you should leave the vehicle running.

So I started up the engine, started the update process again and went for a drive. While driving this message popped up:

Gadget Clock Font Personal luxury car Communication Device

I restarted the MDX and got confimation that the update completed successfully.

Computer Gadget Flat panel display Font Communication Device

The download to the USB drive took hours and I have a 100 mbs internet connection.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you go to the Acura NAV update site, it says what needs to be done to download the maps. Essentially you need to download a software called Here. That software then looks for a USB drive to download the update to. It will take a long time to download.

Once you connect the USB drive to the MDX using the port in the console, it takes about 45 mins to an hour. I left the MDX in accessory mode with a battery charger connected to the MDX. I didn’t want to let the vehicle run for an hour. I also didn’t want to drive around while the update was being done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Boy, the download is taking a longgggg time. At least over 2 hours. I'm using. 32GB Flash drive. Granted it's a cheapey. I presume it is performing at 2.0 speeds. Finally up to 95.6% now. The new Map program requires a 32GB or larger flash drive. So a heads up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Finally done. Plugged into the USB port, started the car and it came up Map upgrading. But if I shut the car, the screen was blank and the flash drive was silent. I don't see how the map program be updated without the car running ??? Am I missing something??

·
Registered
974 Posts
Boy, the download is taking a longgggg time. At least over 2 hours. I'm using. 32GB Flash drive. Granted it's a cheapey. I presume it is performing at 2.0 speeds. Finally up to 95.6% now. The new Map program requires a 32GB or larger flash drive. So a heads up.
Same! I used a 32gb USB drive. Super slow with a 100 MBS connection.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I now have it plugged into the car. When it was on, I saw the acknowledgment of the maps being upgraded and flashdrive was blinking. When I turned it off, the blinking stopped and blank screens. Acura chat said that yes you can turn off the car. We will see..... Note, that I purchased the CD discs to upgrade the 2019 MDX Navi. It took several days !!! Then the system displayed a bar graph on the map of the progress, with this one I don't see anything like that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t think the update will continue with the vehicle off. I think they mean that if you shut the vehicle off, it will resume once you turn it back on. It doesn’t need to be done all at once.

You won’t see a progress bar unfortunately. You’ll just need to wait until the message comes up to say the maps have been updated.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Technology Package
17 Posts
I haven't received any notification about updating the maps. I purchased July 2021 and have the MDX Tech

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How many of you are actually using Acura Maps vs Google/Apple maps?
I do out of habit really. I’ve used Waze before and I agree it’s much better. There is still the odd place that gets no cell signal which is another reason I like to have an onboard system.

·
Registered
974 Posts
How many of you are actually using Acura Maps vs Google/Apple maps?
I use the onboard Acura navigation to avoid using data and battery on my phone. My charging mat doesn't work and I am too lazy to plug the phone in.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The other nice feature of the onboard maps is you can run maps on the full screen. I have a zoomed in view on the main screen on the left and a zoomed out view on the smaller side screen on the right.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts