Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 MDX Touring, and I was wondering if it has the same 5 speed auto as the 2007-2013 auto. If so, can I get parts/wiring and do an electronic modification to allow manual shifting like the later models?

Has anybody done this?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
To answer your questions: No, Probably No and Not that I know of...
I think it may fit physical wise but the transmission itself has nothing to do with the Sport Shift control, That is entirely ECU Based with the needed shift gate that allows Sport Shift control.

The Transmission used in the 1G MDX derives from the CL/TL Sedan Transmission and thus why it failed hard like the CL/TL Sedan Transmissions.
The Transmission used in the 2G MDX and Up is specially made for HD applications to handle the Torque of the Engine (3.7L) and Load thus why its far more reliable.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I wish this was possible - the transmission is the one thing about our MDXs that really lets the car down. I'd settle for a TCM that's got an economy and sport mode, or at the very least, the ability to reflash a new shift schedule table into the TCM (to fix the interminable 1st gear, and to prevent downshifting every time you have to climb over a paint stripe at highway speed). ;-)

I've often wondered if there is a way to fool the TCM into NOT downshifting. It looks like messing with the throttle position sensor might do that (it appears that the shift schedule is tied to throttle opening to determine whether or not to downshift). OTOH, that might also change the engine performance in a bad way, I suppose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts