Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the new car through the car wash. They seem to know how to operate the electronic transmission ok, but then I saw them manually unfold the side mirrors, which made me cringe a bit. Does anyone have any idea if that could damage the motor? There's nothing about that in the user manual. Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Advance | Fathom Blue Pearl
6 Posts
Ugh...I would cringe, too. LOL

Hopefully, it's like the liftgate, which you can raise or lower manually without messing with the auto-open/close mechanism (extending/retracting in the case of the mirrors). Will have to ask my service department.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh...I would cringe, too. LOL

Hopefully, it's like the liftgate, which you can raise or lower manually without messing with the auto-open/close mechanism (extending/retracting in the case of the mirrors). Will have to ask my service department.
I called my service department, and they cringed a bit also. They did seem to think however that the motor/acuaters would just resync themselves. Which is what I actually observed, when I attempted to fold and unfold. The right one "snapped" a bit, but both are totally functional. Next time I will mention it to the owner of the wash, that their people could be causing thousands of dollars in damage.

Here's a YT video where someone pulls apart one of these motors (not sure what car but likely similar concept on Acuras). You can see there are design elements that allow the mirror to get hit, which may also help in this scenario:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts