Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to clean my 1995 honda civic throttle body plate by pushing the plate with my fingers.
I didn't know that manually open the throttle plate with your fingers to clean is not a good idea on this modern drive-by wire electronic throttle until i watched youtube. I pushed the throttle manually with my fingers a few times to clean it, however I didn't have the key in the ignition during the cleaning. Did I caused any harm? So far I don't have any problem yet after one week. Why they recommended not to move manually the plate by hand?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
No, The throttle body has a spring so it always return to closed position. Being able to open it by hand is due to design and the ECU self learns the Idle.

I recently cleaned my bros Nissan Murano throttle body with a VQ35 V6 and the stupid thing is so dumb that you have to do an Idle Relearn Manually so it compensate for the lack of carbon build up as it WONT AUTO LEARN NEVER (LOL)..

Gotta love my Hondas.....

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Eric the car guy who also Welds ball joints? yeah I would take anything he says with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
...with a VQ35 V6 and the stupid thing is so dumb that you have to do an Idle Relearn Manually so it compensate for the lack of carbon build up as it WONT AUTO LEARN NEVER (LOL)..

Gotta love my Hondas.....
While I love my 5th Honda/Acura V6, I also had a few VQ35s before that and what you are saying is simply not true. Think about it - it could not have gotten used to all that carbon build up and it would not need adjusting to the lack of it had it not been auto adjusting the idle the whole time while the carbon was being built up... What the instructions say, actually, is that instead of waiting for the auto learn to occur over time you could/should do it right after making adjustments, or cleaning in this case... and it's done by simply letting it idle for 1-2 fan cycles... just like Hondas and Acuras (and probably majority of other makes).

But I digress. It's not recommended to move the throttle plate for cleaning but I think it's OK if you did it that one time, especially if you were gentle with it. This is not the first time I read this same question and it almost always ends up being OK. Of course, there are always a few unlucky souls that have to fiddle with it before the idle goes back to normal but it does not seem to be your case. If there are no symptoms of anything wrong I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to clean my 1995 honda civic throttle body plate by pushing the plate with my fingers.
I didn't know that manually open the throttle plate with your fingers to clean is not a good idea on this modern drive-by wire electronic throttle until i watched youtube. I pushed the throttle manually with my fingers a few times to clean it, however I didn't have the key in the ignition during the cleaning. Did I caused any harm? So far I don't have any problem yet after one week. Why they recommended not to move manually the plate by hand?
My 08 MDX I pull out and clean it with CRC THROTTLE BODY & AIR-INTAKE CLEANER due to carbon buildup.
If you removed the throttle body to clean you will need to do the throttle relearn procedure, if you clean it while it is there, then you should be good to go nothing has change.
Hope this help.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
While I love my 5th Honda/Acura V6, I also had a few VQ35s before that and what you are saying is simply not true. Think about it - it could not have gotten used to all that carbon build up and it would not need adjusting to the lack of it had it not been auto adjusting the idle the whole time while the carbon was being built up... What the instructions say, actually, is that instead of waiting for the auto learn to occur over time you could/should do it right after making adjustments, or cleaning in this case... and it's done by simply letting it idle for 1-2 fan cycles... just like Hondas and Acuras (and probably majority of other makes).

But I digress. It's not recommended to move the throttle plate for cleaning but I think it's OK if you did it that one time, especially if you were gentle with it. This is not the first time I read this same question and it almost always ends up being OK. Of course, there are always a few unlucky souls that have to fiddle with it before the idle goes back to normal but it does not seem to be your case. If there are no symptoms of anything wrong I wouldn't worry about it.

I am simply stating my experience after cleaning the TB. The engine RPMs shoot up to 1K stable regardless of temperature and remained there for days In the forums they said this will happen even on Youtube videos and I had to do the Idle relearn manually which involved opening the key, closing it and pushing the gas pedal quickly 5 times..... etc etc.. After I did this the idle settled back down to normal on the first try.

Hondas does not lose any idle setting if you open the throttle body plate by hand, EVER.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hondas does not lose any idle setting if you open the throttle body plate by hand, EVER.
I understand and I agree that engines have different quirks, procedures, etc. but... that still does not mean the idle relearn procedure is not required for Honda engines after cleaning the TB. This is from a 2011 Honda Pilot (3.5L V6) factory service manual, which I am sure applies to MDX, TL, etc., just like fyaajster mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Honda service manual will call for an idle relearn procedure every single time the battery is unplugged because the service clerk at the dealership cannot return a car with a high idle..

You know what happens if you dont do the idle relearn? It will auto learn it within 10 miles of driving. That will still upset any client who doesnt know that.

Being there, Done that x10

The problem with the Nissan Murano? It wont auto learn the idle by itself. Which is beyond moronic as it should have the TPS inside of the Electronic Throttle Body, UNLESS it dont. I dunno how modern Nissans do but at least in the 1G Murano it simply wont auto learn the idle. That also upsets the Cruise Control too. With the idle relearn procedure which is also more convoluted on Nissan side vs Honda it learn the idle on the spot and went back to normal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just for reference, since this thread is about the idle learn, in hope to make it almost useful, here is the idle learn procedure from the same Honda service manual.
(Btw, the "pushing the gas pedal quickly 5 times..... etc etc" for Nissan is the step #2 here, without the need for the HDS or whatever Nissan's counterpart is called)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Proper way to relearn idle on a Honda:

#1.- Drive the car.
Done

If you really are that anal about doing it by the manual so you dont drive with a high idle for sone miles which is only relevant to technicians:

1.- Start the car
2.- Push the gas pedal to 2000rpm until the fans come on.
3.- Done

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Ohh and just to add that Manual way of idle relearn? The same method since the IACV was introduced back in the 90s on Hondas..

They also auto learn the idle as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts