Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been discussed previously but just not up to researching the Archives.

With the Climate Control OFF, and you activate the blower manually, What mode is the AC in?

The screen indicates nothing but punching in the AC button changes that to AC OFF. Based on that, you would surmise that the AC had been ON.

If not, how could you go from OFF to OFF in subsequent changes?

I don't beleive that there are 3 different modes since you cannot replicate the blank screen without first shutting everything down.

Would appreciate some clarification if somebody really knows.

·
Registered
25 Posts
button describes action - not current state

I may be wrong and if so I am sure someone will correct me but I think the text describes the action that will happen if you push the button - it does not describe the current state. So, if the button says 'AC OFF' it means the AC is currently ON and pushing the button will turn it OFF.

Wade

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Wade - you are correct....

The a/c is controlled by the button on the display screen so it is always on unless you turn it off. Think of it like all the other cars
that have the A/C button on the dash with a little light in it.

Chazman - The auto or full auto mode doesn't turn off the A/C. The climate control can only be turned off by pressing the off button on the dash by the temp indicator. Operating the fan manually doesn't turn off the climate control - it only takes it into auto mode - from full auto. Anytime you make a change in fan speed, mode or A/c it takes climate control from full auto to auto, but doesn't turn off the climate control. To answer yur question re: the A/C - it is always on unless you turn it off.

Climate control is designed to add heat or cool air automatically to maintain the temp you select, so the a/c need to be on so the compressor can activate when there is a need to bring the temp to a cooler level.

The MDX's climate controls are not as clear as other cars - but I hope this helps clear up the issue.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I agree-

the X is the first vehicle where I find the climate control to be...Educational...I said that in a sense that you either have to read the manual on the Climate Control system very thoroughly or you have to do it by trial and error to master how the Climate control system works in the X.

The system works extremely well compare to other lower model Hondas.

I like it a lot. Makes driving very comfortable.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Guess you never had a late model BMW... There are so many options, possibilites, and permutations that it can take years to figure them all out!

Fireblade6 said:
I agree-

the X is the first vehicle where I find the climate control to be...Educational...I said that in a sense that you either have to read the manual on the Climate Control system very thoroughly or you have to do it by trial and error to master how the Climate control system works in the X.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mogur-

nope...never own a Bavarian Moto Werks Vehicle. Great cars but I dont think am planning to buy nor drive a BMW for awhile. Am saving up to pay in cash for the Z8 and from there I will hopefully have the Xperience of learning about the Xcellent climate control system that a BMW have.

I much adore the Z8 when I had test drove it at a friends dealership. Call me a snob but...If am gonna buy a recognized mark am gonna buy the most sophisticated model of that mark. Until then....am dreamin'

·
Registered
183 Posts
ON is on and OFF is off

wamiller,

The simple answer to your question is YES, "AC ON" or "AC OFF" describes the current state.

When it says "AC OFF" it means that the air-conditioning compressor has been turned OFF and will not cycle.

Pushing the button directly below it will change the LCD display to "AC ON" which means the compressor will run until the set temperature is attained.

I just had nothing better to do and went outside and checked BOTH of the Acuras with their hoods open. Had a nice glass of Merlot as I watched the compressor clutches cycle on and off.

Ahhhh...the simple pleasures in life...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ON or OFF

TO D-J-X

Now you have me really confused. You tell wamiller that he right but your statement contridicts his. Is OFF really ON or not.

Also, what is AC it when when the manual fan is on and there is no text-- ON or OFF?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Auto and Full Auto?

What's the difference between Auto and Full Auto?

When I drive alone, I just let the Full Auto and a temperature of 65 stays on all the time. I did a 3 hour trip to Nashville with a full load of people (the 3rd row seat really works ;) ) on Christmas. The outside temp was like 40 degreeF. I found when I set the temperature to 65 with full auto, and I can feel the front side air is "cool", the 2nd row folks said the air are warm coming out. They said it was too warm. When I lower the temperature on full auto and I can feel the front air to be cool, the back unit still pump out kind of warm air. So.. the only choice I had was to let them control the temperature themselves. Why can't the full auto supply cool air in the back just like in the front during an attempt to lower the temperature.

The back unit independent control works nicely. That feature, though not exphasized, is a big plus over the Lexus Rx 300.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
AC has two "ON's"

AC "ON" - is ON

BLANK READING - AC could be on or off

AC - OFF is OFF

HEAT, however is potentially, "always on" since it cannot be shut OFF and reliant on the temperature setting. Obviously, the more peeps in the car...the cooler the temp setting needs to be since we tend to be full of HOT AIR. :) Plus the X is 'vent challenged' in the rear. Add 5 people back there, and this could be why things are getting stuffy. The person second/center gets blasted either way.

Then there's Auto and Full Auto and the difference between them is a matter of touching just ONE LITTLE BUTTON or another. No matter how you try to 'sneak up' ... it defaults to AUTO. However, when first entering the car...FULL AUTO will get you the BLAST of HOT or COLD air, depending on temp setting and regional climate. I constantly forget this and 'grumble drive' til it dawns on me.

I have 'vented' about this 'climate control' issue before. And speaking of VENT...well don't ask. ;) After 3 seasons of "X" I still find myself punching the wrong buttons while on the fly. Wait...dems not buttons! So, THAT's the problem....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Okay guys....now we sound like a buncha rocket scientist at NASA trying to figure out why the MARS probe did not land on MARS....

HAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
339 Posts
DMor said:
AC has two "ON's"

..HEAT, however is potentially, "always on" since it cannot be shut OFF and reliant on the temperature setting.... Add 5 people back there, and this could be why things are getting stuffy....
Still, the solution seems to be the manual control on the back unit. After a long trip and I went back to the 2nd or 3rd row seat, I can feel the air was rather warmy and stuffy... my goal is to see if the full auto can really inject the kind of cool air like the front, or just make the full circulation like the temperature in the front vent.

:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
DMor
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing