Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just notified by Gogrilleguards.com today that Manik is preparing to start filling orders next week! I have no idea which vendor gets the priority.
So far I have surveyed Gogrilleguard (one of the cheapest for SS at $387 delivered), Nord-Leth, TruckStuffUSA (most expensive at $420 delivered), and BestDarnParts, the 2nd most expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got call from bestdarnparts, they had one pair in stock.
Initially he asked me $390 (including shipping) but than I
told him he had promised for $380 and he said that's no problem.

It is scheduled to ship today, can't wait to put it on my black X.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Manik

Just an fyi...

For those of you that are getting the Manik Side Steps, I put mine on about 2 weeks ago. In the process, one of the big bolts siezed up. I had to snap the bolt in order to get it off. After that, I just went to Home Depot and picked up another bolt except it's not Stainless Steel.

A few days later I called Manik about the bolt and they said they had a batch of bad bolts and they would send me a new one. So before you thread the nut on the bolt, check the thread to make sure it's not defective. It wasn't fun trying to take the nut off the bolt after it got cross threaded halfway through the bolt.

The MDX looks great with the Stainless Steel steps..

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had read that on another post before, so unfortunately it's happening again.
When I get mine I plan to run each bolt through some threads and see if there is a problem before assembly.
If only one seizes, I will likely go to Home Depot and get a fresh set of bolts.
Manik has had some quality problems, like the pads starting to detach which they fixed immediately.
It's a shame, they are still like the sharpest looking.
They don't have much competition and the demand for them is high. GoGorilla was going to produce some for the X, but backed out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also had a problem with the nut and bolts. They are difficult to screw together, probably because the nut has a nylon gasket inside it. They seem to strip easily.

Originally, I put my black Maniks on wrong because the Manik tech mislead me. When I first got the Maniks, they were labeled right side and left side. Each Manik looked very similar, therefore I called Manik to determine which side is left or right (they should actually label them as driver or passenger side). Following the advice from the Manik tech, I put them on wrong. It was difficult taking off a couple of the bolts. I think one got stripped, I had to use Liquid Wrench to get it off. I called Manik to ship me replacement nut and bolts (its been 2 weeks, still not gotten them yet).

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the Maniks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm glad you said that. I had problems and thought it was *my* fault. However, I used my tap and die set and re-threaded the bolt. (yes, I know I cheated) Anyways, worked fine, my only wuality gripe is that the rear passenger side plastic "step" is cracking around the bolt hole. This is one of the least used steps too!!

Anyone else having this problem. I e-mailed manik to see about a replacement step, hopefully this is under warranty!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dakster said:
Anyways, worked fine, my only wuality gripe is that the rear passenger side plastic "step" is cracking around the bolt hole. This is one of the least used steps too!!

Anyone else having this problem. I e-mailed manik to see about a replacement step, hopefully this is under warranty!
If you do search I think you will see that problem addressed before, and Manik supposedly made good on it and corrected the problem. Maybe that was under your post before! Do the steps just bolt to the bar?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I knew about the cracked step problem before I bought the Maniks. I learn of this problem from members on this wonderful website. I called Manik about this and was assured that the steps would be replaced with no time period limitations. One retailer speculated that the problem may be due to an over zealous employee at Manik overtightening the steps onto the steel bars.

BTW, I'm waiting for a call from Mark Francis, chief tech support person, about replacing my stripped nut and bolt. It's been over 2 weeks since he said he was going to replace the parts.

Manik's phone number: 800-987-8393. Others who have had a problem with the nuts/bolts should notify them. Mark Francis's cell #: 323-864-6883 (it's almost impossible to get him on the 800 number)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Replacement bolts

Well, I got my replacement bolts... but I they sent me black ones instead of the stainless that the original came with. Another thing is they didn't send NUTS!?!?!?

Guess I'll just keep the homedepot nut and bolt on there...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Talked to Mark Francis at Manik a couple days ago about having not received my replacement nut and bolts. He stated that they had a problem with the stainless steel ones and would probably be switching to the black bolts. Although, I have the black Maniks and originally don't have stainless steel bolts. He was going to check into my replacement bolts.

BTW, has anyone with Maniks noticed that the front side step does not feel as secure as when first installed. I've had mine on about 3 weeks and noticed a creaking noise when stepping on the front passenger side of the side step. I know that the front side steps bar is only held on with the bracket without an additional support bar as the rear bracket has bolted to it. The front driver's side seems to be ok. I think I read on another thread about others with the Manik that they had a similar problem. I'll re-tighten the bolts to see if that would help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts