Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked past threads and can't find these tidbits, so I thought I'd offer them. I don't think I'm the only one who may have missed these points.

1. The "threaded holes" in the body are plugged with plastic inserts that look like wall anchors. It wasn't obvious that these were the right holes, since there were also threaded holes in the same places, same sizes but unplugged on the frame. DO NOT ATTACH THE MOUNTING BRACKETS TO THE FRAME. Punch out the center of the plastic inserts with a screw driver, then pry the plug out by the roots. The threads are there after all.

2. The pictures on the Manik instruction sheet are backwards. For some reason they show the installation as it would appear from under the car looking out.

3. You need both metric and English tools. The threads in the body are 8mm metric. The bolts that attach the side steps to the brackets are 1/2 inch English. Go figure! I guess the car is built metric and the steps are built in the US, non-metric.

4. The stainless bars will fit on either side of the vehicle. Although, the mounting points are symmetric, the steps are not. It is easy to put them on backwards. (How did I figure this out?) The black pads should be even with the seats, not with the floor. Wrong way round they look OK because the pads line up exactly with the floor. However, if you put them on that way, it is most natural to step on the stainless part getting out. Wrong!

5. I also found that the 10 metric bolts in the Manik kit are not all identical. Evidently they aren't the greatest quality. Threading isn't consistent. Two of them would not thread easily into the holes. They were soft enough that persistent tightening eventually made the bolts threads fit the holes. Eight of the bolts fit all of the holes. Two of them would bind.

Actual installation was a snap. However, it took me two hours to find the right tools and to figure out what actually went where.

==============

2002 Touring, Mesa Beige, many add-ons, now including Manik Side Steps.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
OK sd, my turn!! My observations:

I found six plugged holes on each side.
I removed the front and rear plugs, on both sides, corresponding to the front and rear supports. The center 2 plugs on both sides are not removed.
The brackets on the bars mount inside of the body support brackets. The upper parts of the body brackets must always face the front of the car. Yes, the drawings in the instructions do confuse the issue.
The most rearward 8mm (10 mm head) body bolt (on each side, rear brackets) must be tightened first.
The reason is a socket will not fit on the head after the additional rear support bracket arm is installed. Although a 10 mm end wrench would work, but not a lot of torque available, but probably would be sufficient.
On the driver's side, the additional rear support slips UNDER the emergency brake cable line, to the hole in the frame.
Tighten all bolts alernately and snug them up tight progressively. ON mine the upper rear 1/2" lock nut will not quite go down sufficiently to expose any bolt threads. The end of the bolt is just below the end of the nut, due to the space taken up by the additional rear support bracket on both sides.
A close inspection will reveal the 1/2" washers fully flat and no 'air' between any surfaces, once every bolt is fully torqued. You don't really need a torque wrench for the 1/2" bolts, when it is nearly impossible to turn the bolt heads by torquing the nut on the other end, it will be very tight.
Don't over tighten the 10mm bolts. Just make them 'tight' and stop.
I recommend 'running in' in the 1/2" nuts and bolts before assembly to make sure there is no binding other than the resistance of the lock nut. I would only replace them with identical hardware, as they are stainless steel and not the plated version you would get from Home Depot, etc.

The steps are still prone to splitting at the mounting screws. If you must, go around and ensure all the screws in the steps are snug. Do not over tighten, or risk of cracking at the end is great. If one does not feel tight, I would loosen up both screws for the pad and wiggle the pad a bit making it is square and sitting flat on the bar. (The center of the pad has a locking clip that goes into the bar underneath). Then tighten them alternatively until nice and snugged down.

Given all that !! It only took me about an hour to install!!! It's really simple, unless you decide to paint the exposed metal brackets. Do that all before assembly and then you can brush paint the bolts afterward, if you are really anal.
One additional piece of advice, if you have had your MDX for a while, make sure the holes underneath (without plugs) are clear before assembly of any dirt or caked on mud, etc.
They do look great and well worth it!
More pics of my X with side tubes following next wash & polish!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just to add my own comment... the big bolt and nuts are 19mm, but they are similar enough to 1/2", I guess.

I just received my polished side steps yesterday from GoGrillGuards.com (yes, they charged my car nearly two months ago when I placed the order). At least it is here, and pretty good price. Couldn't wait to put it on, so I did it yesterday. Had to kids (3 and 5 years old) test it out, and they loved it. My son gave me a huge smile after being able to climb in the car effortlessly. My daughter said she liked it too, although she did complain that I was taking too long with the tools since they were "working" on their tricycles, cars, and scooter.

BTW, looks great on the Redrock pearl ! Now if I could get some 20" on it... :D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Well, they are called 1/2" in the parts list.
As are the couple of 'spares' I got (but never used) from HD.

3/4" and 19mm heads (flat to flat) are virtually the same for practical purposes.

The 19mm tire iron does work fine for holding one end while tightening.

And you had the same experience with gogrillegurads, sucks. But yes, at least you got them. I have a set waiting for a prepaid shipper to return them as I mentioned.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Pricing

What should I expect to pay for the SS Maniks ? After reading your posts I assumed apprx $250, but after checking some sites, it seems like the BEST I can do is $375 ??? Is this about right or has pricing gone up :confused:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Good luck if you get SS for $250. I believe the black Maniks are $250. They average $350 for SS + shipping.
You are nice & close to the mfr. Montebello, they may use a warehouse out of state and save you tax, but not time.
Nordleth is in SoCal.. I recommend them for service even if not the absolutely cheapest. Remember, Gogrilleguards.com will charge your card before shipping!
I would not recommend them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quesion for sapcedoc / Dale B

Based on spacedoc's comment and some old pictures from DaleB, I want to see if I've got this staight.
The side rails should be installed so that the black pad for the rear door is the closer to the end of the rail than the front is to the front edge. Right?
And a question. Did either of you paint the brackets which bolt to the car? I am thinking about it but I am skeptical that it will be a good idea since the brackets are stainless.
Thanks for tha great advice you both have posted, I am sure it will save me a lot of time on my install.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
apple904

We probably told you more than you will need to know, but better to be prepared.
Once you start you will see it's all quite easy.
I did not paint my brackets. Considered it but I think they look just fine as is. In some light they are almost invisible if you look at some of my fotos.
One thing I mentioned under another topic was a bad pad.
When I checked, one pad had a screw not snugged completely. When I screwed it down, the end of the pad got a small crack.
I got 4 replacement pads from Manik (free) with screws. I replaced that pad but first elongated the mounting hole in the pad with a drill. The problem is the mounting hole in the stainless was off slightly. The elongated hole in the pad compensated for that. All pads are nice and snug, and no problems!
Remember, there is sticker on the inside of the bar that says left or right side. Passenger side being the right side.
Come back to our instructions, if you get confused from the drawings, they are lousy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Maniks Installed!!

It was a lot easier than I thought. But boy, those directions are horrible!! The diagram of the mounting brackets labeled all of them as the passenger side. Of course I noticed that only after installing the drivers brackets on the passenger side. All they had to do is put "L" and "R" stickers on the stupid things. First rail took 30 minutes and second one took 10.
All of bolt holes on body were empty - no plastic plugs as others had found. The rails are stainless and they look great on a black MDX. The stainless matches the door handles and black steps match the car. Very nice!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The instructions you fellers placed was EXCELLENT. I just wish I could say the same for Maniks.

One difference in my installation was I did not have any plastic plugs covering the mounting holes in the frame.

The real killer in this whole equation was I waited 2 months to receive the bars from GOGRILLGUARDS.com and like others they hit my credit card at transaction time and NOT at point of shipping time.

After all is said and done they do look very sharp (on white anyhow).

Krieghoff

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay, I have pictures of the Maniks installed on White. What pixel size would you like and how many?

Krieghoff

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
krieghoff said:
Okay, I have pictures of the Maniks installed on White. What pixel size would you like and how many?

Krieghoff
Personally I always felt 800x600 is best for both broadband and dial-up users.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
took the plunge. . .

Ok Manik fans, finally took the plunge and ordered the stainless Maniks today - will p/up from will-call whse tomorrow and god willing will install this weekend . . . btw Nordleth is the parent Internet company and Calif Auto Trends is division of same that handles phone/fax sales (tipped off by same phone #). For those fellow procrastinators like me out there, Nordleth has only 2 pairs of stainless left, so react accordingly, make sure to get the 25% discount - tried to get more since I'm picking up and have to pay CA sales tax, but they didn't bite. I think they know they have a hot product with limited supplies, wait, where have we seen this theme before . . . :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts