Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I installed Manik chrome side step over the weekend.
It looks great. Installation wasn't bad except I ran
into one problem.

On the driver side there are 2 screws in the front and
2 in the back that attaches mounting bracket to car's
body. I could only put one screw in the front and one
in the back. I could not put the other 2 screws more than
halfway as it just gets stuck. I tried other screw that
had come in the box to make sure it wasn't the bad screw.
It seems that hole is not drilled properly.

I can take it to auto body shop to get it re-threaded
but I was wondering if anyone has run into this
problem before and if there is any alternate solution.

thanks.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I just installed the OEM steps ...

... and had no problems with any of the holes. For the OEM steps there are 24 threaded holes that are used (4 per bracket / 3 brackets each side). My MDX is almost 14 months old and all 24 holes were fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Manik bolts

I didn't have any problems with the small screws attaching to the X's underside. But did have a problem with the big bolts. They are the stainless steel ones. Manik had problems with these type of bolts easily stripping...I had a couple that were difficult to screw together. Then I wasn't able to unbolt these without having to use Liquid Wrench on them.

I complained to Manik and the tech dept. said they been having problems with the stainless steel bolts. They were considering switching to the black bolts and nuts. Manik did send me replacement bolts/nuts that were the black ones instead of the stainless steel ones. Only bad thing is that now I can't just replace the two stripped bolts I have, but have to replace all eight to have them match. Actually, it may look better with the black ones since my Maniks are black colored. However, these black bolts probably will eventually show rusting, whereas stainless steel does not.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
AC, I had trouble getting the bracket screws in just because of grit in the car's threads. I cleaned them out with an oil-soaked Q-Tip and they went in just fine (also oiled the screws). You may want to try this before you head in to the shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts