Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my black Manik side steps yesterday. Looking at the installation instructions and the underside of the X, I don't see where the rear support bracket (the long one) attaches to the underside of the body. It's suppose to screw in somewhere on the underside. On the driver's side , the gas tank seems to be in the way.

Also, does the brake line get in the way to screw in the small rear support bracket on the passenger side? It seems the bracket can be slid under the brake line to screw into the underside.

Has anyone else come across these problems?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hiya Marfong. I just installed my stainless Maniks last night, so it's all still fresh in my mind.

There should in fact be a pre-drilled, threaded hole for the rear support bracket at the position you'd expect. If you don't see a hole lining up with the hole in the bracket, I'd double check to make sure you're using the proper bracket for that side of the vehicle, and also that you're attaching it to the main bracket the right way. It should go on the front side of the bracket, with the little loop part pointing downward. (The diagram in the instructions can be kind of confusing.)

I did in fact have to slide the bracket under the brake line on one side.

ZroDfx

·
Registered
217 Posts
As DRODFX mentioned, no drilling. Attached are pics of the drivers then the passenger side

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rear Support bracket

I just installed my Maniks last night and used the standard threaded holes under that car. Make sure u take out the little black plastic plugs from under the car for the main support brackets. In order to take them out, push in on the center of the plug and pry it out. Don't throw the plugs aways as u can stick them in some of the other threaded holes under the vehicle. The maniks only u a total of 5 threaded holes per side (out of 12 in total of which 6 have plastic plugs). The OEM steps use all 12 holes and that is y there are extra holes underneath. Not that u need to, but it might make sense to ask the dealership for some extra plugs so that u can plug the non-used holes.

As a secondard question, has anyone noticed that the maniks have more "give" in the front side (the end without the extra support?). This leads to a definite bounce in the step and makes it feel a little chinzy?:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Rear Support bracket

superdave said:
Make sure u take out the little black plastic plugs from under the car for the main support brackets. In order to take them out, push in on the center of the plug and pry it out.
As a secondard question, has anyone noticed that the maniks have more "give" in the front side (the end without the extra support?). This leads to a definite bounce in the step and makes it feel a little chinzy?
My experience has been completely different on both points! First, there weren't any plastic plugs under my MDX at all, anywhere! The holes were all open and ready. And second, maybe you're a heavier guy than me, superdave, because I really stomped on my Maniks to test them and they're rock-solid end-to-end. Weird that our cars/steps are so different.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maniks

I think the difference may be the country of delivery. Here in Canada, there are a few differences between the X and the US version (besides the whole miles vs kilometers thing). One, we get plugs underneath (to keep out the salt on the roads?), two we only have one trim level. Three, no navi option. Four, roof racks are standard. Five, the assemblers take extra care when assemblying cars for the Canadian market, all of the junky, thursday before the long weekend cars, are sent to the US. That might change when Honda moves the X production out of Canada to the States, but until then Canadian cars rule!. lol

In terms of the give, I find that since the Maniks only have 2 main support areas (instead of the three on the OEMs) and that the Maniks use a simple cantilever system, with only 2 screws holding the main bracket on the vehicle, and no front support bar (like the one they have on the rear), it definitly has some more bounce (my 165lbs doesn't add that much weight to the bouncing :rolleyes: ) I think if Manik provided 2 supports for front and rear, things would be a little more solid up front. I hope that is the reason and not a poor install:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Heh. Well, being a Canadian living in the U.S., I support this act of subversion even if it means I ended up with one of the junky American models! ;)

Speaking of all things Canadian, do you remember Super Dave ("We're talking Osbourne") on Bizaare back in the day with John Byner?

As for the Maniks: I think something might be wrong with your steps or your install. If I stomp on mine moderately, nothing moves. If I really jump on them, the whole truck moves, but they remain solid to the vehicle. Maybe get under there and retighten everything? (Or maybe Manik keeps the good ones in the U.S., and sends the defective ones to the frozen north...Eh?)

ZroDfx

·
Registered
127 Posts
mounting points

There is also a difference in material used on the OEM Acura sidesteps. Acura ones are aluminum where as the Maniks are Steel. This could be the reason why Manik only required 2 mounting points.

Anybody jump on the factory steps to see how much difference?

Maybe the running boards also require all three mounting points to be more secure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
raddray
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing