Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing the Manik side steps in liau of OEM's simply because they extend out further making for easier access. I was wondering four things:

1) Could people who own both OEM & Manik reply to this thread and actually measure the distance of their side steps from their "X" so that I and others in the market could have a better visual comparison/understanding.

2) Let us know how the Manik's are holding up .... are they as strong as the OEM's??

3) Finally, is the install the same?? Did you find it difficult?? Were bolts stripping??

4) Where did you purchase the Maniks and how much did you pay??

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
WOW all that info is on here!!
Lots of info on Maniks..some not the greatest, but most is very favorable.
The attachment of the actual steps on the bar is not the best. That's not a serious problem, and the company will replace them free. Once properly attached they seem trouble-free.
The side steps flex slightly at the front, because they only have 2 mounting brackets. But you need to bounce on them to feel any flex.
The Acura steps are more solid feeling. I beliieve they are made of aluminum but have many attachment points and do not extend as far.
Unless you get them powder coated to look like stainless, they are not very noticeable. Then they are the best of both worlds, but much more expensive.
Lots of pictures of side steps on this forum. I think the Maniks will hold up just fine based on the strength of the brackets and toughness of the stainless. They are a very good buy for the dough, plus look great.
Just look at my response to a post yesterday, you will see many answers to your questions.
BTW mine stick out 8" from the outside of the step bar to just touching the lowest point of the vehicle, where the doors curve in. There is probably another 1/2" they could move out more.
I do not know how far the Acura steps stick out, it looks like maybe 5-6". Someone know?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Ditto, what Dale said

Use the Search feature; it is powerful. Virtually all your questions are in current and/or old threads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the search and came up with too many threads to go through. Let's complete this thread so that I and others in the furture can have a 1 thread picture and understanding for all of these important questions which I asked in order to make a more informed decision.
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Well, what didn't we answer?
You only need to go back a day to see more detailed steps on installation.

Here's the link to the discussion
yesterday on Manik installation.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6043

Normally, we discuss these things under accessories, we do not have a Manik category, per se.

Next will come some pictures. Hopefully tomorrow.

Now maybe some others can help you out with Acura side steps.

And maybe you could retitle your topic Manik and Acrua step comparisions...so we can keep it all under one topic.

We do our best to inform. I found out some good stuff while searching, lots of things I was not even looking for!

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recommend "nordleth" (nordleth.com) to buy the side steps; wonderful people to deal with, very honest -Egon, jimmy - ...they should have the Maniks in stock now. I have installed mine this weekend - it is fairly easy to do, but the installation was slightly different from the original part installation shown in hondaacuraworld.com. I paid around $240 inc. shipping

Another option is "driverfx.com" - pretty much the same price.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
They are available right now, but will probably go fast again unless they really built-up some stock.
Nord-leth is very good.
Initially I dealt with gogrilleguards.com and that was a mistake. Charged my card before even shipping. Finally sent me a refund 2 weeks after I cancelled.
If that was not bad enough, they shipped me a set today!
I thought of just taking it, and maybe selling it on here, but if they ever figured out what happened might demand their merchandise back. Maybe I'm too honest.
Anyway, they are sending me a prepaid UPS shipper. They are really disorganized.

TruckstuffUSA is another one that told me they had stock when they didn't, at least did not charge my card.
Stick with Nord-Leth. Glad I could find out these pitfalls for you folks.

I WILL have pics tomorrow!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Yaron2 said:
I tried the search and came up with too many threads to go through. Let's complete this thread so that I and others in the furture can have a 1 thread picture and understanding for all of these important questions which I asked in order to make a more informed decision.
Thanks!
Sometimes it's a little impractical to repeat everything stated on older threads. That's why we have a search feature. I don't mind repeating stuff I know about, if it helps someone, but I do have a life outside of this forum, although sometimes I wonder.... :2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
More Manik info on cracked steps.

I think I found the problem. Manik just sent me 4 more pads today as 'spares'. They must not have much confidence in the steps! I just cracked one the spares!

The problem is hole alignment. Soooo....When trying to screw the pad down flush, all the stress goes on the one end. Remember, there is a center locking post, so the holes have to be within a specific distance from the center post to each screw hole on the end. The one to the rear of the center post is out too far.
So after ruining a second pad, I elongated the bad mounting hole in the pad to allow for the error. The 'hat' on the screw is wide enough to provide sufficient clamping to the pad. I can only forgive them because they look so damn good!
IF you do order spare pads, remember you will not get a locking pin for the center. You use the same one from the original pad, so don't lose it! With 4 pads you would have thought they would throw one in anyway. Oh, well nothing's perfect, and it's easily enough resolved. All the other pads fit fine, and are all screwed down snug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts