Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I feared, Soundstream has disconnected all of its phone lines. The website was down for a couple of days, went back up yesterday, but it has not been maintained/updated. Local dealers have confidence that after the Consumer Electronics Show, they will be back in operations and will roll out the new product lines they have introduced previously.

I saw some of the SPL60G, 2 ohm component speakers at a couple of dealers yesterday. They have been unable to place any orders for 2-3 weeks now, and don't know really when Soundstream will resume operations, and whether these un-conventional 2 ohm speakers will be available. The list price is $279 for these 6 1/2" components, but I've seen them between $129 and $159 on net searches. If you want 2 ohm coaxials, the SPL65G are the model, and cost a bit less and are good for the rear doors. 94 dB, 120 watt.

Just be aware that if you were thinking of upgrading your Bose speakers, there is a distinct uncertainty of future availability on these drivers if you do not purchase from currently available stock now. If you are familiar with any other 2 ohm component satellite speakers in production, by any manufacturer, I'm insterested in hearing about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the post, I've been interested in maybe trying a 2 ohm upgrade, but no one here seems to have tried it yet.

Orion makes some 3 ohm, but they are pretty spendy. You said you saw the soundstream, did you get to listen to them? I'm still interested in trying the soundstream for an upgrade, even if the cmpany is going through a transition. I heard they were not going out of business.

Please keep me posted on your research and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Infinity 6521 will work

I put a pair of the Infinity 6521's I bought off ebay for $60 in the front - replacing the mid-bass onky and leaving the stock tweeter hooked on the Bose/Touring model. This was based on the earlier thread called somehting like "my spaker upgrade - complete with instructions). tokk about 40 minutes.

They helped clear things up and are efficent enough to work with the Bose amp.

Going up from 2ohm to 4 ohm will not cause electronic problems like gong hte othere way can (if the amp is not built to hancle the lower ohm speakers). It's all a matter of efficency and tehy are effcient enough to work.

Mind you, this is not exactly hi fidelity, but it is an inprovment. I'm kinda impressed with those speakers for the price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Infinity 6521 will work

Dec/Jan said:
Going up from 2ohm to 4 ohm will not cause electronic problems like gong hte othere way can (if the amp is not built to hancle the lower ohm speakers). It's all a matter of efficency and tehy are effcient enough to work.
Dec/Jan - Is it your understanding, as seems to be consensus, that they current Touring/Bose system is 2 ohm rated? I've taken that for granted after reading it in many posts, but haven't seen (and probably won't understand) the specs. I have read that running 2 ohms speakers on an amp that isn't 2 ohm rated can fry it.

I'llcallYouBruce - There's a third company, Image Dynamics that make some 2 ohm speakers, but they don't seem to offer them in 6.5" coaxial.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Image Dynamics makes some good speakers

Image Dynamics has a very good name for making good subs at good prices (IDQ line).

I know that some folks do use their mid-bass drivers in medium-level systems (the Bose would considered low-end for sound quality).

Remember that you don't technically need a coaxial down there since you are replacing a mid-bass only. However, the sound was so muffled with the Bose drivers that I was happey to see there was a tried a nd true coaxial to use.

The efficiency thing is kind of important here. I think that the Infinity was rated about 92 or 93 decibels (these ratings are lways for one watt of input) at 4 ohms. I think that a doubling of poser gives you around 6 DB - so ti might be about 87 using the Bose amp. Mot speakers you see are 89 to 90 on 4 ohms - so you can see that you are getting alomost normal sound levels despite the weaker amp.

I hope that makes sense.

I do not know how effidient he IDs are, but I'll bet they are fairly efficient given the numder of compeitors that use them.

So, there are two issues: are they more or less efficient and does the tweeter that comes with the coax's help make up fo rth weak Bose tweeter? I don't really know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Soundstream 6.5" coaxial speakers don't fit, even if you cut the back of the rainguard off (whoops).

By the way, I have some never used Soundstreams for sale if anybody wants them....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Alvin
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing